SMMaintainableObject?

Bakki Kudva
Hi all,

I am new to the list and to SmallTalk. I just installed squeak on a
Debian Sarge box yesterday and all went well. I had intalled Seaside
and the required packages such as KomServices etc. It was all working
great and I was having a great time with Seaside's intro tutorials.
Then, in my ignorance when I quit I didn't save the image.

Today when I start squeak I get...

a progress bar -> Reading a stream and then..

'Reading an instance of SMMaintainableObject, which modern class
should I translate to?' popup dialog when I try to open the Package
Loader.

In the debugger it says...

UndefinedObject(object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #classVersion

When I first installed squeak I seem to remember at this point I got a
msg which said something like you are using an older verison (of
something) would you like to update? to which I said yes and it then
displayed the package loader.

I thought it would be simpler to reinstall so I deleted my image file
in my home dir and reinstalled squeak from the tar.gz file and ran
INSTALL again as root.

Still the same problem. Can some one please shed some light on what's
going on and how to fix this?

TIA,

bakki

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

tblanchard
There is probably a directory called 'sm' in the same directory as the image file.  Delete it and try again.

On Wednesday, August 02, 2006, at 09:54AM, Bakki Kudva <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am new to the list and to SmallTalk. I just installed squeak on a
>Debian Sarge box yesterday and all went well. I had intalled Seaside
>and the required packages such as KomServices etc. It was all working
>great and I was having a great time with Seaside's intro tutorials.
>Then, in my ignorance when I quit I didn't save the image.
>
>Today when I start squeak I get...
>
>a progress bar -> Reading a stream and then..
>
>'Reading an instance of SMMaintainableObject, which modern class
>should I translate to?' popup dialog when I try to open the Package
>Loader.
>
>In the debugger it says...
>
>UndefinedObject(object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #classVersion
>
>When I first installed squeak I seem to remember at this point I got a
>msg which said something like you are using an older verison (of
>something) would you like to update? to which I said yes and it then
>displayed the package loader.
>
>I thought it would be simpler to reinstall so I deleted my image file
>in my home dir and reinstalled squeak from the tar.gz file and ran
>INSTALL again as root.
>
>Still the same problem. Can some one please shed some light on what's
>going on and how to fix this?
>
>TIA,
>
>bakki

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

florent trolat
Bakki Kudva a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the list and to SmallTalk. I just installed squeak on a
> Debian Sarge box yesterday and all went well. I had intalled Seaside
> and the required packages such as KomServices etc. It was all working
> great and I was having a great time with Seaside's intro tutorials.
> Then, in my ignorance when I quit I didn't save the image.
>
> Today when I start squeak I get...
>
> a progress bar -> Reading a stream and then..
>
> 'Reading an instance of SMMaintainableObject, which modern class
> should I translate to?' popup dialog when I try to open the Package
> Loader.
>
> In the debugger it says...
>
> UndefinedObject(object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #classVersion
>
> When I first installed squeak I seem to remember at this point I got a
> msg which said something like you are using an older verison (of
> something) would you like to update? to which I said yes and it then
> displayed the package loader.
>
> I thought it would be simpler to reinstall so I deleted my image file
> in my home dir and reinstalled squeak from the tar.gz file and ran
> INSTALL again as root.
>
> Still the same problem. Can some one please shed some light on what's
> going on and how to fix this?
>
> TIA,
>
> bakki

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

keith1y
Hello,

It is likely that the package-cache has survived your attempts to begin
from scratch. This is a folder that squeakmap uses to store items that
it has downloaded. Whether this is your problem or not I do not know,
but beginining from scratch is probably worth a fresh directory in which
to work.

When working in squeak every change is committed to the .changes file in
parallel to the image. .changes is your friend whenever you forget to
save your image. To use the change log, open a "File List" from the
tools flap and select the .changes file that goes with your image. A
"recent changes" button then appears which will launch a browser on the
lost history. There you can filter the methods if you wish and re-load
them into the image, thus bring it up to date.

hope this helps

best regards

Keith (using debian install in knoppix as my main working environment)

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

stéphane ducasse-2
To complement: in general do not through away your changes and image
(use them always in couple the changes contains the log of what you
did and can be handy to rescue some code). but do not forget to save
your code either as fileout (click on class category -> fileout) or

use Monticello to save your code (my preferred way) Create an account
on squeaksource and use Monticello
This way you will have a version on your disc
you can have a look at my videos.....http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
Videos/

Stef

On 2 août 06, at 18:54, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the list and to SmallTalk. I just installed squeak on a
> Debian Sarge box yesterday and all went well. I had intalled Seaside
> and the required packages such as KomServices etc. It was all working
> great and I was having a great time with Seaside's intro tutorials.
> Then, in my ignorance when I quit I didn't save the image.
>
> Today when I start squeak I get...
>
> a progress bar -> Reading a stream and then..
>
> 'Reading an instance of SMMaintainableObject, which modern class
> should I translate to?' popup dialog when I try to open the Package
> Loader.
>
> In the debugger it says...
>
> UndefinedObject(object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #classVersion
>
> When I first installed squeak I seem to remember at this point I got a
> msg which said something like you are using an older verison (of
> something) would you like to update? to which I said yes and it then
> displayed the package loader.
>
> I thought it would be simpler to reinstall so I deleted my image file
> in my home dir and reinstalled squeak from the tar.gz file and ran
> INSTALL again as root.
>
> Still the same problem. Can some one please shed some light on what's
> going on and how to fix this?
>
> TIA,
>
> bakki

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

Keith Hodges-2
stéphane ducasse wrote:

> To complement: in general do not through away your changes and image
> (use them always in couple the changes contains the log of what you
> did and can be handy to rescue some code). but do not forget to save
> your code either as fileout (click on class category -> fileout) or
>
> use Monticello to save your code (my preferred way) Create an account
> on squeaksource and use Monticello
> This way you will have a version on your disc
> you can have a look at my
> videos.....http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Videos/

And using a Monticello account on www.squeaksource.com is a life saver
when your computer hard disk decides to re-iterate to you once more the
reality of Murphys Law. It provides an off site back up of your source
for free.

Keith

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

Bakki Kudva
Hi Keith,

On 8/2/06, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>
> When working in squeak every change is committed to the .changes file in
> parallel to the image. .changes is your friend whenever you forget to
</snip>

I don't see a .changes file anywhere!?

-bakki

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

Bakki Kudva
On 8/2/06, florent trolat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are in 3.9 3.8?

I am in 3.8.

bakki

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

Bakki Kudva
Stef,

On 8/3/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To complement: in general do not through away your changes and image
> (use them always in couple the changes contains the log of what you
> did and can be handy to rescue some code). but do not forget to save
> your code either as fileout (click on class category -> fileout) or
>
> use Monticello to save your code (my preferred way) Create an account
> on squeaksource and use Monticello
> This way you will have a version on your disc
> you can have a look at my videos.....http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
> Videos/

> Stef

Thanks for the video link and the working method suggestions. I
already have gone thro'  your wonderful Smalltalk intro in Squeak and
also downloaded most of the free books to read. I had  bookmarked your
site becuase it is such a rich resource but somehow missed the video
links the first time!

cheers,

bakki

Re: SMMaintainableObject?

Bakki Kudva
On 8/3/06, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And using a Monticello account on www.squeaksource.com is a life saver
> when your computer hard disk decides to re-iterate to you once more the
> reality of Murphys Law. It provides an off site back up of your source
> for free.

I have currently installed Squeak on 3 machines. 2 Debian Sarge
workstations (home and work) and a MacBookPro laptop. I was thinking
of using subversion server at work as I do for my other projects but
if I can do the same from within Monticello I would be superb. I
already created an account and will read the docs. Thank you very much
for that link..it will be a life saver!

bakki

PS: I am so impressed on how easy it was to install Squeak on all 3
machines(a few minutes each). I can't remember the last time when a
development env was so easily setup across platforms. Also the look
and feel is identical as well.