SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington-4

Re: SMServer beta update

Frank Shearar-3
On 9 May 2014 14:52, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://oopfile.com

I am liking! Nice clean-looking UI.

Is there any chance of using guessable URLs?

frank

Re: SMServer beta update

Stéphane Rollandin
I logged in fine and saw all packages I am owner of, but saw no access
to Prolog of which I am a maintainer. Am I missing something ?

Re: SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 9, 2014, at 10:57 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I logged in fine and saw all packages I am owner of, but saw no access to Prolog of which I am a maintainer. Am I missing something ?
>
> Stef

No, I am missing something. I think you're describing obvious functionality that you see all the time that I just haven't gotten to yet. I'd say my process is to present something half-baked, get feedback, and proceed. Maintainers are missing. OK, noted.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 9, 2014, at 10:19 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 9 May 2014 14:52, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://oopfile.com

I am liking! Nice clean-looking UI.

Is there any chance of using guessable URLs?

I'm going to have to punt on this question. I'll have to think about it.

Goran's URLs use UUIDs like this.

Not really guessable. But consistent. Google likes them better than what SqueakSource does.

Thanks,
Chris

frank

Re: SMServer beta update

Stéphane Rollandin

> I'd say my process is to present something half-baked, get feedback, and proceed.

That should work...

So, one more feedback: I would prefer to have package releases, and more
generally file lists, to be ordered with more recent items at the top.

Re: SMServer beta update

timrowledge

On 09-05-2014, at 6:52 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://oopfile.com

It doesn’t seem to have the clicky-letter-in-packages problem from last time I whacked it :-)

tim
The halfway point between right and wrong is still damn wrong. Compromise isn't always a solution

Re: SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 9, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'd say my process is to present something half-baked, get feedback, and proceed.
>
> That should work...
>
> So, one more feedback: I would prefer to have package releases, and more generally file lists, to be ordered with more recent items at the top.
>
> Stef

OK. That should be easy.

Chris

Re: SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 9, 2014, at 12:13 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09-05-2014, at 6:52 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://oopfile.com
>
> It doesn’t seem to have the clicky-letter-in-packages problem from last time I whacked it :-)

Super. Some progress.

Chris

> tim
> The halfway point between right and wrong is still damn wrong. Compromise isn't always a solution

Re: SMServer beta update

Göran Krampe
Hey!

On 05/09/2014 05:34 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> On May 9, 2014, at 10:19 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> On 9 May 2014 14:52, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> http://oopfile.com
>>
>> I am liking! Nice clean-looking UI.
>>
>> Is there any chance of using guessable URLs?
>>

> I'm going to have to punt on this question. I'll have to think about it.
>
> Goran's URLs use UUIDs like this.
>
> http://map.squeak.org/account/package/50cf04ed-626d-4f58-b444-e7878b72149d
>
> Not really guessable. But consistent. Google likes them better than what
> SqueakSource does.

Well, that is actually the URLs used when you are *logged in* - all
those URLs begin with "/account/". A common mistake to share those URLs,
because they only work "for you".

If you remove the "/account/" part the URL works though (but you get a
readonly view):

http://map.squeak.org/package/50cf04ed-626d-4f58-b444-e7878b72149d

The decision to use UUIDs was because I wanted:

- URLs that never change
- Ability to rename package

BUT!... you can also use:

http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/greenneon
http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/gree

...although: "gre" matches Grease first so "gree" is the shortest match. :)

I should have made these URLs visible somewhere because people seem
generally quite unaware of these URLs, although I have used them all the
time when posting URLs to the mailinglist trying to build awareness :)

Which approach is "the best" for a new system, well, one can wonder.
There are definitely arguments for having name based URLs only - that
are listed somewhere so they get googled up. And if someone renames,
fine, so be it, the old URL "dies".

regards, Göran

Re: SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 11, 2014, at 4:58 AM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> On 05/09/2014 05:34 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>> On May 9, 2014, at 10:19 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>>> I am liking! Nice clean-looking UI.
>>>
>>> Is there any chance of using guessable URLs?
>>>

>> I'm going to have to punt on this question. I'll have to think about it.
>>
>> Goran's URLs use UUIDs like this.
>>
>> http://map.squeak.org/account/package/50cf04ed-626d-4f58-b444-e7878b72149d
>>
>> Not really guessable. But consistent. Google likes them better than what
>> SqueakSource does.
>
> Well, that is actually the URLs used when you are *logged in* - all those URLs begin with "/account/". A common mistake to share those URLs, because they only work "for you".
>
> If you remove the "/account/" part the URL works though (but you get a readonly view):
>
> http://map.squeak.org/package/50cf04ed-626d-4f58-b444-e7878b72149d
>

> The decision to use UUIDs was because I wanted:
>
> - URLs that never change
> - Ability to rename package
>
> BUT!... you can also use:
>
> http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/greenneon
> http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/gree
>
> ...although: "gre" matches Grease first so "gree" is the shortest match. :)
>
> I should have made these URLs visible somewhere because people seem generally quite unaware of these URLs, although I have used them all the time when posting URLs to the mailinglist trying to build awareness :)
Hmm.... OK. I think I can do something with that. Reading this, I think guessable URLs can be done. I'll look at it.

> Which approach is "the best" for a new system, well, one can wonder. There are definitely arguments for having name based URLs only - that are listed somewhere so they get googled up.

That's giving me a thought. It might not be too difficult to have it both ways.

Thanks,
Chris

> And if someone renames, fine, so be it, the old URL "dies".
>
> regards, Göran

Re: SMServer beta update

Göran Krampe
Hey!

And oh, for shorter urls - use asString36 that I added to UUID a while
back. Much shorter string. It was added because old Mac filesystem
couldn't handle filenames that long.

regards, Göran

Re: SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 11, 2014, at 11:22 AM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> And oh, for shorter urls - use asString36 that I added to UUID a while back. Much shorter string. It was added because old Mac filesystem couldn't handle filenames that long.

#asString36 is cool. I learned it's the reason for the different directory names in the cache.

I think I can create a packagebyname URI token (i.e. /packagebyname/Traits) with you're #packageWithName:. The idea is that the public area should use consistent, guessable URIs (for Google and address-bar-typers), while in the authenticated area, Seaside can use its randomly generated keys.

Thanks,
Chris