SQ-1013 - button to show script (How to make scripts "visible/discoverable" without having your screen covered with scriptors all the time)

SQ-1013 - button to show script (How to make scripts "visible/discoverable" without having your screen covered with scriptors all the time)

Steve Thomas
Scott,

I like the idea in SQ-1013, but have some other thoughts on solving the problem which I prototyped in Etoys (using tile scripting only, Etoys Rocks!!!).

Am sharing with the dev list and the rest of the community to get their ideas and input.
The project can be seen here.

Couple more changes to the prototypes in my project I would suggest:
  1. The "Collapse/Uncollapse" button should be right next to the script name, so you don't get that visual jerkiness of the button moving when you click it.
  2. Instead of just changing length and folding up, you could fold in to (ie: set the width to just past the "Collapse/Uncollapse" button to have more visible screen real estate.
  3. We may want a Show/Hide all scripts option (perhaps with a keyboard shortcut.)  FYI, I misnamed some of the buttons in the project as "Show/Hide" when they were really "Collapse/Uncollapse", then realized we need both.
  4. It would be nice to have a more visually appealing "Collapse/Uncollapse" method, where instead of changing the length of the Script Editor, we "glide" the change over a period of time.  (I started playing around trying to prototype this and ran into other issues, but separate subject and a separate email will follow).
Thanks for all your work (and Richo's and Karl's, Bert's, Subbu's, ...) the next version of Etoys will be even better with bug fixes and new features, can't wait!!!

Stephen

Re: [etoys-dev] SQ-1013 - button to show script (How to make scripts "visible/discoverable" without having your screen covered with scriptors all the time)

Ricardo Moran
I think this is really nice, but I fear we might be cluttering the script editor's header with too many buttons. We already added the step button, but I feel it's justified.
Maybe we could remove the first button Inline image 1 and replace it with the new collapse/uncollapse button. Then, to remove the script (and make it go back to the viewer) we could use a halo button.

Or maybe, we could keep the script editor as it is now, and put the collapse behavior in the collapse halo button (that now seems kinda useless).

Cheers,
Richo

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Karl Ramberg

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this is really nice, but I fear we might be cluttering the script editor's header with too many buttons. We already added the step button, but I feel it's justified.
Maybe we could remove the first button Inline image 1 and replace it with the new collapse/uncollapse button. Then, to remove the script (and make it go back to the viewer) we could use a halo button.

Or maybe, we could keep the script editor as it is now, and put the collapse behavior in the collapse halo button (that now seems kinda useless).

Cheers,
Richo

I have thought about using the Viewer category scripts category and collapse/ uncollapse

Se the very crude picts attached

Karl

[...]

Script.jpeg (86K) Download Attachment
Script2.jpeg (91K) Download Attachment