SUnit with too many tests

Jerome Peace
SUnit with too many tests

Hi Hernan,

Thats great news. Would you be willing to plant this
seed on mantis?

Here are the faq:

FAQ: Is this a known issue ? Where is the place to
report bugs (or check if
some have already been raised) ?

The best place for this info would be to start a
Mantis report. (You can get a mantis acct freely and
easily).

A good place to start is:

http://bugs.squeak.org/my_view_page.php

Mantis provides a patient persistent way to focus on
an issue.
I use it to accumulate data on a problem until a
solution can be found.
It provides a place to alert the community to a
problem;
-accumulate facts and clues from the analysis;
-publish proposed solutions and get feedback;
-get solutions harvested and included into the main
stream.

This FAQ is available at the Squeak wiki site.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Mantis%20FAQ%20and%20Tips
aka:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5912
Mantis FAQ and Tips

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

***
>Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at gmail.com
>Mon Feb 11 16:59:11 UTC 2008
>
>Hi,
> I just wanted to share with you that we had problems
running too many tests
>with SUnit because of memory use.
> We have around 15,000 unit tests and while running
them the memory grew
>from 80 megs to 700 megs (we use VisualAge) and
therefore, the machine
>became really slow...
> Anyway, we realized the memory was not freed because
the tests referenced
>objects from their instance variables. Therefore we
added a method that puts
>"nil" in all test's instance variables (but
'selector').
> The amazing thing is that not only running the test
now do not makes the
>image to grow but it takes 50% less time to run them!
So anyway, we are
>happy with that and maybe this change is useful to
other people.
> Here is the code:
>
>TestCase>>runCase
>
>    [self setUp.
>    self performTest] sunitEnsure: [self
tearDown;cleanUpInstanceVariables]

>TestCase>>cleanUpInstanceVariables
>
>    (TestCase allInstVarNames size + 1) to: self
class allInstVarNames size
>do: [ :index | self instVarAt: index put: nil ]
>

>Bye,
>Hernan.
***

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Re: SUnit with too many tests

hernan.wilkinson
Yes, sure... I should have done this in first place.

Thanks,
Hernan.

On Feb 12, 2008 3:14 AM, Jerome Peace <[hidden email]> wrote:
SUnit with too many tests

Hi Hernan,

Thats great news. Would you be willing to plant this
seed on mantis?

Here are the faq:

FAQ: Is this a known issue ? Where is the place to
report bugs (or check if
some have already been raised) ?

The best place for this info would be to start a
Mantis report. (You can get a mantis acct freely and
easily).

A good place to start is:

http://bugs.squeak.org/my_view_page.php

Mantis provides a patient persistent way to focus on
an issue.
I use it to accumulate data on a problem until a
solution can be found.
It provides a place to alert the community to a
problem;
-accumulate facts and clues from the analysis;
-publish proposed solutions and get feedback;
-get solutions harvested and included into the main
stream.

This FAQ is available at the Squeak wiki site.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Mantis%20FAQ%20and%20Tips
aka:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5912
Mantis FAQ and Tips

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

***
>Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at gmail.com
>Mon Feb 11 16:59:11 UTC 2008
>
>Hi,
> I just wanted to share with you that we had problems
running too many tests
>with SUnit because of memory use.
> We have around 15,000 unit tests and while running
them the memory grew
>from 80 megs to 700 megs (we use VisualAge) and
therefore, the machine
>became really slow...
> Anyway, we realized the memory was not freed because
the tests referenced
>objects from their instance variables. Therefore we
added a method that puts
>"nil" in all test's instance variables (but
'selector').
> The amazing thing is that not only running the test
now do not makes the
>image to grow but it takes 50% less time to run them!
So anyway, we are
>happy with that and maybe this change is useful to
other people.
> Here is the code:
>
>TestCase>>runCase
>
>    [self setUp.
>    self performTest] sunitEnsure: [self
tearDown;cleanUpInstanceVariables]

>TestCase>>cleanUpInstanceVariables
>
>    (TestCase allInstVarNames size + 1) to: self
class allInstVarNames size
>do: [ :index | self instVarAt: index put: nil ]
>

>Bye,
>Hernan.
***