SVG Rendering Engine

12

SVG Rendering Engine

Gerhard Obermann
Hi!

I am looking for a SVG rendering example for seaside.

I would like to build a well integrated SVG rendering engine
that should work as an addon to Seaside.

I am not sure how to start. Maybe the RSS could be used as an example?

Thanks for any insights you can share.

Gerhard

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Paolo Bonzini-2
Gerhard Obermann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a SVG rendering example for seaside.

Episode comes to mind - see
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/faculty/lanza/Downloads/Prim07a.pdf for a paper
on it.

Paolo

Re: Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Lukas Renggli
I think it is very important for Seaside to have a powerful SVG
library. I think it is so important that it should be part of the
officially supported core packages and downloadable from the main
Seaside repository (like Seaside-HTML5). SVG is getting more and more
important these days, also in combination with AJAX.

Any takes or contributors for such a project?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Gerhard Obermann schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a SVG rendering example for seaside.
>
> I would like to build a well integrated SVG rendering engine
> that should work as an addon to Seaside.

is native rendering required, or are C libs ok?

Using LibRSVG + Cairo is probably the easiest solution:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/rsvg/stable/rsvg-Cairo.html

At least for VW there's already a nice Cairo package in the public
repository, don't know about LibRSVG and Squeak packages for Cairo.

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Gerhard Obermann
No, ill want a native rendering engine inside Seaside.
It should be easy do define and reuse SVG components like building
normal seaside components.
I think i can do the most off the basic SVG stuff by myself,
but ill need some help for the integration part.
e.g. which classes should be subclassed or where should i put then rendering engine

Also the possibilty to use a different rendering engine (e.g. Silverlight) should be taken into account!

br
Gerhard

Lukas Renggli wrote:
> I think it is very important for Seaside to have a powerful SVG
> library. I think it is so important that it should be part of the
> officially supported core packages and downloadable from the main
> Seaside repository (like Seaside-HTML5). SVG is getting more and more
> important these days, also in combination with AJAX.
>
> Any takes or contributors for such a project?

I've asked my colleague Marco D'Ambros (probably on this list) about
Episode.

Paolo

Re: Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Victor-67
It seems to me that it will be specially useful if the SVG development is
done consistent with the HLA Standards (IEEE 1516).
Any comments?

VĂ­ctor

>I think it is very important for Seaside to have a powerful SVG
> library. I think it is so important that it should be part of the
> officially supported core packages and downloadable from the main
> Seaside repository (like Seaside-HTML5). SVG is getting more and more
> important these days, also in combination with AJAX.
>
> Any takes or contributors for such a project?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: SVG Rendering Engine

stephane ducasse
Can you provide more information because High Level architecture does
not really help?

Stef

On Apr 6, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Victor wrote:

> It seems to me that it will be specially useful if the SVG
> development is done consistent with the HLA Standards (IEEE 1516).
> Any comments?
>
> VĂ­ctor

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]>

Re: Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Victor-67
Here are a few links to the BOM (Basic Object Models) standard, which is
part of HLA.

http://www.boms.info/
http://www.boms.info/standards.htm
http://www.boms.info/faq.htm

Victor

Can you provide more information because High Level architecture does
not really help?

Stef

On Apr 6, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Victor wrote:

> It seems to me that it will be specially useful if the SVG  development is
> done consistent with the HLA Standards (IEEE 1516).
> Any comments?
>
> VĂ­ctor

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]>

Re: Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Victor schrieb:
> Here are a few links to the BOM (Basic Object Models) standard, which
> is part of HLA.
>
> http://www.boms.info/
> http://www.boms.info/standards.htm
> http://www.boms.info/faq.htm

sorry, but I don't see how this is related to SVG rendering. Perhaps you
could elaborate a bit more on this.

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Gerhard Obermann schrieb:
> No, ill want a native rendering engine inside Seaside.
> It should be easy do define and reuse SVG components like building
> normal seaside components.
> I think i can do the most off the basic SVG stuff by myself,
> but ill need some help for the integration part.
> e.g. which classes should be subclassed or where should i put then rendering
> engine

ok. I was thinking about doing the SVG -> Bitmap rendering in Seaside,
because no browser fully supports SVG, and it doesnt look this will
change in the near future (e.g.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox). So doing the
Bitmap rendering could avoid compatibility issues. But high-quality
rendering is... difficult.
Supporting Silverlght/XAML probably requires an intermediate vector
graphics model which can translate itself into SVG and XAML (maybe even
OpenOffice SXD), but that doesnt sound enticing (the usual
cross-platform / conversion problems).

Classbrowser trouble

SebastianHC

Hi Seasiders!

I have some trouble with the seaside classbrowser.
Class and category information are displayed as usual, but the methods
are not formatted correct.
I just see cryptic things like:
"$p$r$e$v$i$o$u$s$C$a$c$h$eCharacter crCharacter
tab$"$A$n$s$w$e$rCharacter space$t$h$eCharacter space$v$a$l$u$eCharacter
space$o$fCharacter space$p$r$e$v$i$o$u$s$C$a$c$h$e$"Character
crCharacter crCharacter tab$^Character space$p$r$e$v$i$o$u$s$C$a$c$h$e"

There's no difference between using firefox or ie7.
Is there are seaside bug, or do I just have some inconsistency in my
squeak image?
Or do I just have to chance some configurations?

Thanks!
Sebastian

Re: Classbrowser trouble

Lukas Renggli
>  There's no difference between using firefox or ie7.
>  Is there are seaside bug, or do I just have some inconsistency in my squeak
> image?
>  Or do I just have to chance some configurations?

What version of Squeak? What version of Seaside?

Are you using Unicode Characters?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Classbrowser trouble

SebastianHC
Hi Lukas,

I'm sorry,
well it's:
Squeak 3.9 latest update #7067
Seaside2.8a1-mu.540

How can I find out about unicode characters?

Merci!
Sebastian

P.S.: Presentation is coming soon! Prototype is running!
Thank's for the video link. They'll be flashed!!!

Re: Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Victor-67
Where do you see the disconnect?

VĂ­ctor

Victor schrieb:
> Where do you see the disconnect?

Where to begin? let's quote:

BOM:
----
(from http://www.boms.info/)

"The Simulation Interoperability Standards Organization (SISO) focuses
on facilitating simulation interoperability across government and
non-government applications worldwide."

SVG:
----
(from http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/)

"SVG is a language for describing two-dimensional graphics and graphical
applications in XML"

----
The only common divisor I see is XML, but well, that doesnt count. I
*really* don't see any direct connection between a simulation
interoperatibility standard and a vector graphics description language.

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Wolfgang Eder
hi,
the following looks interesting:

http://www.antigrain.com/

cheers,
wolfgang

Gerhard Obermann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a SVG rendering example for seaside.
>
> I would like to build a well integrated SVG rendering engine
> that should work as an addon to Seaside.
>
> I am not sure how to start. Maybe the RSS could be used as an example?
>
> Thanks for any insights you can share.
>
> Gerhard

Re: Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Victor-67
Oh, I see,  The problem is in the BOM text. It's too generic.  However, the
motivation is graphics manipulation, or so I interpreted it to be.

Here is the way I put both together:
    SVG is about scalability.  Standardization is one dimension of
scalability.  HLA and BOM deal with standardization.  Voila! Standardized
scalability!!!  :-)

Victor

> "The Simulation Interoperability Standards Organization (SISO) focuses on
> facilitating simulation interoperability across government and
> non-government applications worldwide."
>
> SVG:
> ----
> (from http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/)
>
> "SVG is a language for describing two-dimensional graphics and graphical
> applications in XML"
>
> ----
> The only common divisor I see is XML, but well, that doesnt count. I
> *really* don't see any direct connection between a simulation
> interoperatibility standard and a vector graphics description language.

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

stephane ducasse
with a GPL license....

On Apr 7, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> hi,
> the following looks interesting:
>
> http://www.antigrain.com/
>
> cheers,
> wolfgang
>
> Gerhard Obermann wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I am looking for a SVG rendering example for seaside.
>> I would like to build a well integrated SVG rendering engine that
>> should work as an addon to Seaside.
>> I am not sure how to start. Maybe the RSS could be used as an
>> example?
>> Thanks for any insights you can share.
>> Gerhard

Re: SVG Rendering Engine

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] SVG Rendering Engine

I am so confused, people are talking about two different things in the same thread. Most seaside can do is _produce_ SVG, its the browsers/plugin job to _render_ it, so things like Cairo and Multigrain don't belong in this discussion afaict.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

On Apr 7, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> hi,
> the following looks interesting:
>
> http://www.antigrain.com/
>
> cheers,
> wolfgang
>
> Gerhard Obermann wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I am looking for a SVG rendering example for seaside.
>> I would like to build a well integrated SVG rendering engine that
>> should work as an addon to Seaside.
>> I am not sure how to start. Maybe the RSS could be used as an
>> example?
>> Thanks for any insights you can share.
>> Gerhard

12