Saucers for Mac broken ?

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

I set up a web page for my Space Invader:
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/saucers.htm

Now, some of my friends on Mac (but not all) complain that the
all-in-one available via the "for Mac" link is broken and does not install.

On the other hand I saw it install perfectly on a Mac laptop; it does
work for some.

I don't know s*** about Macs. Could someone solve that case for me ?

What I did is take the official 4.5 all-in-one, and simply replace the
4.5 image with mine (renamed, obviously).

Re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Wolfgang Eder
it depends on your mac security settings.
if you have them at „mac app store“ or „mac app store and verified developers“,
then the mac complains that the app is broken and wants to move it to the trash.
if you have them at „no limitations“ the mac complains that it has been downloaded
from the internet, but you can start and run it (and it works).
kind regards
wolfgang

Am 07.10.2014 um 10:37 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I set up a web page for my Space Invader:
> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/saucers.htm
>
> Now, some of my friends on Mac (but not all) complain that the all-in-one available via the "for Mac" link is broken and does not install.
>
> On the other hand I saw it install perfectly on a Mac laptop; it does work for some.
>
> I don't know s*** about Macs. Could someone solve that case for me ?
>
> What I did is take the official 4.5 all-in-one, and simply replace the 4.5 image with mine (renamed, obviously).
>

> Stef

Re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Edgar De Cleene
I try it on my macs, (have severals) and works
I wish the source code for including in FunSqueak4.6  :=)

--
Edgar J de Cleene
@morplenauta en twitter

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 05:37, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

Hello,

I set up a web page for my Space Invader:

Now, some of my friends on Mac (but not all) complain that the
all-in-one available via the "for Mac" link is broken and does not install.

On the other hand I saw it install perfectly on a Mac laptop; it does
work for some.

I don't know s*** about Macs. Could someone solve that case for me ?

What I did is take the official 4.5 all-in-one, and simply replace the
4.5 image with mine (renamed, obviously).

Re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Tobias Pape

On 07.10.2014, at 10:37, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I set up a web page for my Space Invader:
> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/saucers.htm
>
> Now, some of my friends on Mac (but not all) complain that the all-in-one available via the "for Mac" link is broken and does not install.
>
> On the other hand I saw it install perfectly on a Mac laptop; it does work for some.
>
> I don't know s*** about Macs. Could someone solve that case for me ?
>
> What I did is take the official 4.5 all-in-one, and simply replace the 4.5 image with mine (renamed, obviously).

The 4.5 all-in-one is code-signed, so replacing the image will invalidate the signature,
that's what OS X complains about.

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Stéphane Rollandin
Le 07/10/2014 10:47, Wolfgang Eder a écrit :
> it depends on your mac security settings.
> if you have them at „mac app store“ or „mac app store and verified developers“,
> then the mac complains that the app is broken and wants to move it to the trash.
> if you have them at „no limitations“ the mac complains that it has been downloaded
> from the internet, but you can start and run it (and it works).
> kind regards
> wolfgang

Ah, thanks.

Re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Stéphane Rollandin
> The 4.5 all-in-one is code-signed, so replacing the image will invalidate the signature,
> that's what OS X complains about.

So what is the correct way to create a all-in-one from a Windows system ?

Re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Stéphane Rollandin
> I try it on my macs, (have severals) and works
> I wish the source code for including in FunSqueak4.6  :=)

The image is hacked at a few critical points, so I cannot make it into a
loadable package that would be a good citizen wrt other packages. It
disable hibernation of Forms, for example.

re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

ccrraaiigg

Hoi Stef--

> ...what is the correct way to create a all-in-one from a Windows
> system?

     There is good progress on porting the open-source Mac app signing
code to non-Mac platforms, but it still needs some work. And apparently
you can sign with non-Apple (e.g., free) certificates and still satisfy
Gatekeeper on an end-user Mac, but I don't think it'd pass review for
the Apple app store (although it probably would for the Microsoft
store). See [1].

-C

[1] http://bit.ly/1vOxWyI (stackoverflow.com)

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Stéphane Rollandin
>       There is good progress on porting the open-source Mac app signing
> code to non-Mac platforms, but it still needs some work. And apparently
> you can sign with non-Apple (e.g., free) certificates and still satisfy
> Gatekeeper on an end-user Mac, but I don't think it'd pass review for
> the Apple app store (although it probably would for the Microsoft
> store). See [1].
>

> -C
>
> [1] http://bit.ly/1vOxWyI (stackoverflow.com)

Hmm.. I don't understand most of this stuff; I take it that it is not
trivial to deploy a Squeak image on Macs... sad.

Well, I'll tell my friends to change their security settings.

Thanks,

re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

ccrraaiigg

> I take it that it is not trivial to deploy a Squeak image on Macs...
> sad.

     I don't think it's ever been trivial to deploy any Smalltalk app on
any platform, ever, and yes, that's sad. :)  We're making progress
though, even with the advent of walled-off "app stores" from Apple,
Microsoft, Google, etc.

     As for your particular signing issue, I'm happy to sign it if you like.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

re: Saucers for Mac broken ?

Stéphane Rollandin

>       As for your particular signing issue, I'm happy to sign it if you like.

Thanks, but asking people to lower their security settings did the trick
for me.

Stef