Save a class comment in Unix Squeak 4.5 leads to 'RemoteString past end of file'

Save a class comment in Unix Squeak 4.5 leads to 'RemoteString past end of file'

dcorking
I can't save class comments. I get 'RemoteString past end of file'
which seems to be a failed attempt to write to the changes file.

Any attempt to use the class browser after that causes the same error message.

I downloaded the All-in-One package, and updated the image, but still
have the same error.

SqueakDebug.log at https://gist.github.com/dcorking/37540a86c1d3623c2b7a

I am using an x86-64 PC with 64-bit Fedora 20.  As far as I can tell I
have the 32 bit OS libraries installed. (Is there a command to confirm
that Squeak can find all the 32 bit libraries it needs?)

What should my next troubleshooting step be?

Best, David

Re: Save a class comment in Unix Squeak 4.5 leads to 'RemoteString past end of file'

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 09:26:10AM +0100, David Corking wrote:

> I can't save class comments. I get 'RemoteString past end of file'
> which seems to be a failed attempt to write to the changes file.
>
> Any attempt to use the class browser after that causes the same error message.
>
> I downloaded the All-in-One package, and updated the image, but still
> have the same error.
>
> SqueakDebug.log at https://gist.github.com/dcorking/37540a86c1d3623c2b7a
>
> I am using an x86-64 PC with 64-bit Fedora 20.  As far as I can tell I
> have the 32 bit OS libraries installed. (Is there a command to confirm
> that Squeak can find all the 32 bit libraries it needs?)
>
> What should my next troubleshooting step be?

Hi David,

I think this is due to a bug that exists in some Linux systems. Here is
a pointer to some earlier discussion:

  http://forum.world.st/Re-Vm-dev-Bug-956376-Can-not-edit-class-comments-td4683712.html

We added a fix (*) for this in trunk, so if you can update your image to
the latest version, the problem will go away.

Otherwise, just edit WriteStream>>nextChunkPut: and add this to at the
end of the method:

  self flush. "workaround for clib runtime bug on some platforms, affecting initial class comment creation"

Dave

(*) Actually, it's not so much a fix as a workaround for the OS bug. But
it does make the problem go away for the common case of editing a new class
comment.

Re: Save a class comment in Unix Squeak 4.5 leads to 'RemoteString past end of file'

dcorking
Thanks, David. Sorry my search engine fu wasn't up to finding your
original conversation (and sorry that I thought I had updated to
trunk, but actually only pulled the 4.5 updates.) **

The workaround in the trunk update works for me.

There are some mysteries to this, including the surprise that an Etoys
5.01 image can save class comments fine, without the flush workaround.

Best, David C.

** - I just rewrote the 'update stream' page of the swiki so I don't
make the same mistake again. Please check it for errors:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3154