Save without processShutDownList/processStartUpList?

Save without processShutDownList/processStartUpList?

albegadeep
I'm working on a server-side program that should save
its state occasionally to prevent data loss. I really
don't want the open ports to be closed, all users
kicked, etc. just to save the program.

Is there a way to save the image without running the
processShutDownList command when not quitting?

OR

Is there a way to detect when an image is being
saved-without-quitting and thus know not to shut
everything down?

Re: Save without processShutDownList/processStartUpList?

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 8, 2008, at 14:40 , albegadeep wrote:

> Is there a way to detect when an image is being
> saved-without-quitting and thus know not to shut
> everything down?

The #shutDown: class method receives a boolean parameter exactly for
this purpose (as has #startUp:).

- Bert -

Re: Save without processShutDownList/processStartUpList?

albegadeep
Hmm. Which Squeak version? I'm running 3.8.2a, and I
can't find that method. (Maybe which class?)

--- Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2008, at 14:40 , albegadeep wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to detect when an image is being
> > saved-without-quitting and thus know not to shut
> > everything down?
>
> The #shutDown: class method receives a boolean
> parameter exactly for
> this purpose (as has #startUp:).
>
> - Bert -

Re: Save without processShutDownList/processStartUpList?

Bert Freudenberg
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

That said ...

On Mar 8, 2008, at 15:25 , albegadeep wrote:

> Hmm. Which Squeak version?

Any.

> I'm running 3.8.2a, and I can't find that method.

Type "shutDown:" anywhere, select it, press Cmd-m (or Alt-m on PCs).

> (Maybe which class?)

Every class registered in the shutdown list (although some only
implement #shutDown which ignores the boolean parameter).

- Bert -

> --- Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 8, 2008, at 14:40 , albegadeep wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to detect when an image is being
>>> saved-without-quitting and thus know not to shut
>>> everything down?
>>
>> The #shutDown: class method receives a boolean
>> parameter exactly for
>> this purpose (as has #startUp:).
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: Save without processShutDownList/processStartUpList?

Robert F. Scheer-2
Just wanted to say thanks.  This was a useful tip!
-Robert

On Mar 8, 2008, at 21:32 , Robert F. Scheer wrote:

> Just wanted to say thanks.  This was a useful tip!
> -Robert
>
> On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 15:54 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

This one? ;)

- Bert -

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 22:04 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2008, at 21:32 , Robert F. Scheer wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to say thanks.  This was a useful tip!
> > -Robert
> >
> > On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 15:54 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> >> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> This one? ;)

Funny.  You know, there's legit disagreement about top-posting.  It's
not black and white.  For quick replies in which the context probably
doesn't need to be reviewed (just remembered because the original
happened a few nanoseconds ago) I prefer top-posting as both a poster
and reader.

- Robert

--- "Robert F. Scheer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wanted to say thanks.  This was a useful tip!
> -Robert
>
> On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 15:54 +0100, Bert Freudenberg
> wrote:
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people
> normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> >
> > That said ...
> >
> > On Mar 8, 2008, at 15:25 , albegadeep wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm. Which Squeak version?
> >
> > Any.
> >
> > > I'm running 3.8.2a, and I can't find that
> method.
> >
> > Type "shutDown:" anywhere, select it, press Cmd-m
> (or Alt-m on PCs).
> >
> > > (Maybe which class?)
> >
> > Every class registered in the shutdown list
> (although some only
> > implement #shutDown which ignores the boolean
> parameter).
> >
> > - Bert -
> >
> > > --- Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>

> being
> shut

Indeed, my image now functions properly on startup,
shutdown, and saving. Thanks!

Albegadeep