Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10

Gustavo Duarte-2
Hi everyone,

I know this issue could be more close to Sratch area, I wonder if some
of you with more experience on Squeak could give me a tip.

I'm having a trouble with Scratch on Gnome/Ubuntu 12.04 with squeak-vm
4.10 in a PC model, Magalhaes Classmate.

After try exiting from presentation mode, Scratch hangs up, the windows
is turned up white, and to may finish the application, we have to kill
them from a console.

This trouble is happening only on this pc model i tried on another pc,
and work fine.

Is there some way to enable the debug output to see what happens when
did click on button to exit from presentation mode ?

Another suggestion to try find out the problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10

timrowledge

On 13-03-2014, at 1:37 PM, Gustavo Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I know this issue could be more close to Sratch area, I wonder if some of you with more experience on Squeak could give me a tip.
>
> I'm having a trouble with Scratch on Gnome/Ubuntu 12.04 with squeak-vm 4.10 in a PC model, Magalhaes Classmate.
>
> After try exiting from presentation mode, Scratch hangs up, the windows is turned up white, and to may finish the application, we have to kill them from a console.

WIld-ass guess would be some issue with changing the screen mode. You might try loading up a plain Squeak image and trying out the ‘full screen on’ & ‘full screen off’ menu options under the ‘appearance’ menu.

tim
Oyster (n.), a person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddishisms.

Re: Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10

Gustavo Duarte-2
Hi Tim,

You are gave me an awesome tip.

I loaded a Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, and tried "full screen on" and
"full screen off" from Menu, and after "full screen off" same error
happened. The screen turned up white and nothing else i could did. As i
started from terminal, i finished the application with ctrl+C.

With this test, could we say that the issue is inside squeak-vm code ?

Other suggestion to follow  finding out where is this bug ?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

On 13-03-2014, at 3:37 PM, Gustavo Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are gave me an awesome tip.
>
> I loaded a Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, and tried "full screen on" and "full screen off" from Menu, and after "full screen off" same error happened. The screen turned up white and nothing else i could did. As i started from terminal, i finished the application with ctrl+C.
>
> With this test, could we say that the issue is inside squeak-vm code ?
>
> Other suggestion to follow  finding out where is this bug ?

I’d say that strongly suggests a problem in the code setting the screen mode; you’ll find it (for unix) in platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c at the function  display_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt fullScreen). Since it works on many unices and has for a long time I imagine it means some problem with the specific machine’s display driver code. That could be all sorts of fun to solve. At the very least you’ll need to find an X expert, which is not me.

tim
BASIC is to computer programming as QWERTY is to typing.

tty

Re: Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10

tty
Do other fullscreen applications trigger the problem?

tty

---- On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 15:49:28 -0700 tim Rowledge<[hidden email]> wrote ----

On 13-03-2014, at 3:37 PM, Gustavo Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are gave me an awesome tip.
>
> I loaded a Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, and tried "full screen on" and "full screen off" from Menu, and after "full screen off" same error happened. The screen turned up white and nothing else i could did. As i started from terminal, i finished the application with ctrl+C.
>
> With this test, could we say that the issue is inside squeak-vm code ?
>
> Other suggestion to follow finding out where is this bug ?

I’d say that strongly suggests a problem in the code setting the screen mode; you’ll find it (for unix) in platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c at the function display_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt fullScreen). Since it works on many unices and has for a long time I imagine it means some problem with the specific machine’s display driver code. That could be all sorts of fun to solve. At the very least you’ll need to find an X expert, which is not me.

tim
BASIC is to computer programming as QWERTY is to typing.

Re: Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4

Gustavo Duarte-2
Upsss, that sound really tricky to resolve.

I'll take a look to this code.

Any way, there are other thing that make me doubt, if it is the problem,
because on the same machine, on Sugar as a Desktop instead Gnome,
switching between full screen ON and OFF work fine.

If i understand well the function dispdisplay_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt
fullScreen lay_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt fullScreen) is the same on both
cases, right ?

Perhaps, some different parameter passed to squeak-vm on Sugar make it
work.

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

On 03/13/2014 07:49 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 13-03-2014, at 3:37 PM, Gustavo Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You are gave me an awesome tip.
>>
>> I loaded a Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, and tried "full screen on" and "full screen off" from Menu, and after "full screen off" same error happened. The screen turned up white and nothing else i could did. As i started from terminal, i finished the application with ctrl+C.
>>
>> With this test, could we say that the issue is inside squeak-vm code ?
>>
>> Other suggestion to follow  finding out where is this bug ?
> I’d say that strongly suggests a problem in the code setting the screen mode; you’ll find it (for unix) in platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c at the function  display_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt fullScreen). Since it works on many unices and has for a long time I imagine it means some problem with the specific machine’s display driver code. That could be all sorts of fun to solve. At the very least you’ll need to find an X expert, which is not me.
>

> tim
> BASIC is to computer programming as QWERTY is to typing.

Re: Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10

Gustavo Duarte-2
No, the only application with this problem is Scratch, moreover, Scratch running on Sugar in the same machine work fine.

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.

On 03/13/2014 09:07 PM, gettimothy wrote:
Do other fullscreen applications trigger the problem?

tty

---- On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 15:49:28 -0700 tim Rowledge[hidden email] wrote ----

On 13-03-2014, at 3:37 PM, Gustavo Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are gave me an awesome tip.
>
> I loaded a Squeak3.9a.from3.0.image, and tried "full screen on" and "full screen off" from Menu, and after "full screen off" same error happened. The screen turned up white and nothing else i could did. As i started from terminal, i finished the application with ctrl+C.
>
> With this test, could we say that the issue is inside squeak-vm code ?
>
> Other suggestion to follow finding out where is this bug ?

I’d say that strongly suggests a problem in the code setting the screen mode; you’ll find it (for unix) in platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c at the function display_ioSetFullScreen(sqInt fullScreen). Since it works on many unices and has for a long time I imagine it means some problem with the specific machine’s display driver code. That could be all sorts of fun to solve. At the very least you’ll need to find an X expert, which is not me.

tim
BASIC is to computer programming as QWERTY is to typing.

Re: Scratch 1.4 on squeak-vm 4.10

David T. Lewis

There are two VM command line options that relate to Sugar ("squeak -help"
to see these):

  -sugarBundleId <id>   set window property _SUGAR_BUNDLE_ID to <id>
  -sugarActivityId <id> set window property _SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ID to <id>

I am not really sure what these do, but they relate to the image interacting
with X windows, so you might want to check and see if there is some difference
in the way that you open Scratch on Sugar, compared to the way that you
open Scratch without Sugar.

Dave