Scratch/Squeak on RaspberryPi.org front page

Scratch/Squeak on RaspberryPi.org front page

timrowledge
(For those of you not on G+) Take a look at www.raspberrypi.org for the latest blog about Pi Squeak progress.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Spero nos familiares mansuros. = I hope we'll still be friends.

Re: Scratch/Squeak on RaspberryPi.org front page

Peter Crowther-2
Most impressive - thanks, Tim!

- Peter

On 24 April 2016 at 20:13, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
(For those of you not on G+) Take a look at www.raspberrypi.org for the latest blog about Pi Squeak progress.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Spero nos familiares mansuros. = I hope we'll still be friends.

Re: Scratch/Squeak on RaspberryPi.org front page

Bert Freudenberg

> On 24.04.2016, at 21:13, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (For those of you not on G+) Take a look at www.raspberrypi.org for the latest blog about Pi Squeak progress.

More specifically (once it falls off the main page),

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/scratch-performance-raspberry-pi/

Congrats!

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Scratch/Squeak on RaspberryPi.org front page

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 12:13:34PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> (For those of you not on G+) Take a look at www.raspberrypi.org for the latest blog about Pi Squeak progress.
>
> tim

That's really quite impressive!

Dave

Re: Scratch/Squeak on RaspberryPi.org front page

timrowledge

> On 24-04-2016, at 1:31 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That's really quite impressive!

I think it shows just how much can be done to improve software with clever people and decent engineering and determination.

The Pi/Scratch work has involved
- lots of rewriting Squeak code to be more effective
- lots of rewriting poorly chosen algorithms in the Scratch code
- porting forward to the 4.5 system so we could use the stack VM
- much detective work to dig out what used to happen so the new system can be made to do the same where needed (for example a current problem stems from a tiny change in how Warpblt reports a rotation center)
- writing a Cog for ARM (which obviously relies immensely on Eliot’s work of many years)
- a new ARM specific bitblt core
- and not shown in those videos a new Pi GPIO pin driver to make it easy to make LEDs explode, buzzers to shriek, motors rev to catastrophe and nuclear power plants to melt down

Lots of people on this list have contributed advice, bug fixes and improvements over the years. Thank you all - not just from me, but from the approximately 2.5 million kids that apparently regularly use Scratch on Pis in places from New York to York to Beirut to Euxton to rural India, China and Africa.

tim
Useful random insult:- Immune from any serious head injury.

Re: Scratch/Squeak on RaspberryPi.org front page

Stéphane Rollandin
So, can we load this Scratch in a trunk image ?

Stef