Screencast of some experiments with squeak and supercollider

Screencast of some experiments with squeak and supercollider

Cesare Marilungo
Hi,
I've just made a short screencast to show you my ongoing experiments
with squeak and supercollider.

I'm trying new ways to edit and store code, and to interact with
supercollider using squeak as a gui. These are just experiments but I
would like to discuss with those interested about where to go from here,
and if you think it's a waste of time or not.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/temporary/sc_squeak1.ogg (6.4M)

The video is in ogg theora, with audio (made with recordmydesktop, which
is great and records audio from Jack too).

c.

--
http://www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: Screencast of some experiments with squeak and supercollider

Brad Fuller-3
Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just made a short screencast to show you my ongoing experiments
> with squeak and supercollider.
>
> I'm trying new ways to edit and store code, and to interact with
> supercollider using squeak as a gui. These are just experiments but I
> would like to discuss with those interested about where to go from
> here, and if you think it's a waste of time or not.
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback.
>
> http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/temporary/sc_squeak1.ogg (6.4M)
absolutely cool, Cesare!
I take it you talk to SC using OSC? Can you explain your progress and
what you plan on doing.
For me, this is not a waste of time at all. I just recently started
looking at SC, so I can' t give you any advice. But, I sure would like
to know what your plans are and how others can be included.

--
brad fuller
 website:  www.bradfuller.com

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've just made a short screencast to show you my ongoing experiments
>> with squeak and supercollider.
>>
>> I'm trying new ways to edit and store code, and to interact with
>> supercollider using squeak as a gui. These are just experiments but I
>> would like to discuss with those interested about where to go from
>> here, and if you think it's a waste of time or not.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedback.
>>
>> http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/temporary/sc_squeak1.ogg (6.4M)
>>
> absolutely cool, Cesare!
> I take it you talk to SC using OSC? Can you explain your progress and
> what you plan on doing.
> For me, this is not a waste of time at all. I just recently started
> looking at SC, so I can' t give you any advice. But, I sure would like
> to know what your plans are and how others can be included.

Thanks Brad.

No, I'm not using OSC. I send the chucks of sclang code from squeak
using a PipeableOSProcess. That's nice since you only need to launch
squeak and it starts the Supercollider sclang process.

I'm preparing another screencast to show that you can nest morphic one
inside the other and so on.

The idea is to make the code more clear (visually), highlighting the
hierarchical structure. So you can, for instance, put the code to play a
Ugen on the outside and then add (or swap) submorphs which produce the
sound.  Each morph, when triggered, outputs the code inside it and its
submorphs (they can be subnested) from left to right and from top to bottom.

Another interesting thing in this experiment is the idea of the slider.
The two rectangles above the slider contains the code that will be added
'around' the slider value (which is from 0 to 1).

Obviously most of the interesting functionalities, like copying,
connecting, and organizing your objects, are already built in squeak. So
you can put the buttons to create these SuperCollider related objects
inside a BookMorph, for instance. Or save a composition just like any
other squeak project.

About my plans, I just wanted to hear some feedback and ideas from
others. Then I'll clean up the squeak classes, create a clean project
and publish the thing on squeakmap.

By the way, does somebody has some suggestion about a name for this project?

c.

Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> By the way, does somebody has some suggestion about a name for this
> project?
SqueakCollider?
SqueakyCollider?

--
brad fuller
 website:  www.bradfuller.com
 linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bradfuller
 +1 (408) 799-6124

Screencast of some experiments with VW Smalltalk and OSC/CSL

Stephen Travis Pope

Hi all,

If we're trading screencasts, I just finished an hour-long in-depth
introduction to the new release of Siren.
I haven't announced the new release yet, but plan to later tonight.

The screencast is available in lo-fi (94 MB) and hi-fi (240 MB)
versions at
        http://FASTLabInc.com/Siren/Siren7.5.Demo-lo-res.mov
and
        http://FASTLabInc.com/Siren/Siren7.5.Demo-hi-res.mov
respectively.

...comments are solicited.

stp

--
    Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA
    http://HeavenEverywhere.com     http://FASTLabInc.com

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Screencast of some experiments with VW Smalltalk and OSC/CSL

Brad Fuller-3
this is a very good tutorial! And also for those who don't know smalltalk.

(I really wish Siren was on Squeak.)

When will you release this? I'd like to point people to it from my blog.

brad

Stephen Travis Pope wrote:

[...]

Stéphane Rollandin

> No, I'm not using OSC. I send the chucks of sclang code from squeak
> using a PipeableOSProcess. That's nice since you only need to launch
> squeak and it starts the Supercollider sclang process.

nice. now, I guess this only works under Unix, right ?

Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> No, I'm not using OSC. I send the chucks of sclang code from squeak
>> using a PipeableOSProcess. That's nice since you only need to launch
>> squeak and it starts the Supercollider sclang process.
>

> nice. now, I guess this only works under Unix, right ?
Yes, If I remember correctly OSProcess is not fully implemented on Win32.

c.