ScreencastMorph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'm working on a ScreencastMorph. The idea is to have something like what HandMorphForReplay does, but in a self contained window. The effect would be that there was another World running in a window, where the HandMorphForReplay could carry out a UI script that could be played, sped up, slowed down, rewound - all the actions you would except from a media player.

Unfortunately, starting a World in a window does not seem easy. Most of the time I try it or manually mess with HandMorphs, my image locks up permanently.

I've also had trouble getting the tool to resize. I tried Window -> TransformationMorph -> PasteUpMorph -> MyCoolToolWindow. That seems promising - although I have to open the tool in the world before embedding in the PasteUpMorph. The tool will resize and even interact for a while, but eventually that too seems to lock up the image.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean

p.s. cross-posting to Squeak-dev and Pharo-dev. If I get it working, I plan on porting to both.
p.p.s. I'm posting to the dev lists because I see clear killer uses for this in the Core system (UI Testing, live documentation)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ScreencastMorph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Karl Ramberg wrote
Did  you look at the EventTheatreMorph in Etoys ?
Didn't know about that one! Thanks, I'll check it out...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ScreencastMorph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Karl Ramberg wrote
Did  you look at the EventTheatreMorph in Etoys ?
I guess you mean EventRecordingSpace, which is accessible via WorldMenu->open->"event theatre"?

That's cool! It feels close to what I want, but from what I can see it is not a "real" world, but a partially simulated one. For example, some of the toolbar buttons (like supplies) work with the theatre, some (like help and fullscreen) operate on etoys proper, and some (e.g. language) don't work at all. Also the hand is in the etoys world, so e.g. moving the theatre throws off playing scripts. Lastly, resizing doesn't scale the theatre elements (like the toolbar), but just occludes them.

A few requirements are:
- the window feel like a media player e.g. resizing scales its contents proportionally while playback continues
- recording keeps the full power of the system e.g. one can bring up a world menu inside the window

For sure the theatre is inspiring, but my question is really about how to hack into PasteUpMorph/HandMorph to have a world running in another world without locking up the system…

Thanks again for the pointer to some cool work :)
Cheers,
Sean
tty

Re: ScreencastMorph

tty
The StackInterpreterSimulator (or CogVMSimulator) does open a (broken) world within the world.

You may find the overall technique applicable to what you want to accomplish, however it is overkill as it stands now.

See StackInterpreterSimulator >> openAsMorph

See  http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/build-image/ for how to set up the parts.

It is not for the faint-of-heart, however.

---- On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:54:33 -0800 Sean P. DeNigris<[hidden email]> wrote ----

Karl Ramberg wrote
> Did you look at the EventTheatreMorph in Etoys ?

I guess you mean EventRecordingSpace, which is accessible via
WorldMenu->open->"event theatre"?

That's cool! It feels close to what I want, but from what I can see it is
not a "real" world, but a partially simulated one. For example, some of the
toolbar buttons (like supplies) work with the theatre, some (like help and
fullscreen) operate on etoys proper, and some (e.g. language) don't work at
all. Also the hand is in the etoys world, so e.g. moving the theatre throws
off playing scripts. Lastly, resizing doesn't scale the theatre elements
(like the toolbar), but just occludes them.

A few requirements are:
- the window feel like a media player e.g. resizing scales its contents
proportionally while playback continues
- recording keeps the full power of the system e.g. one can bring up a world
menu inside the window

For sure the theatre is inspiring, but my question is really about how to
hack into PasteUpMorph/HandMorph to have a world running in another world
without locking up the system…

Thanks again for the pointer to some cool work :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ScreencastMorph

Karl Ramberg
Older images have a earlier version of the event recorder. But the problems you describe is part of why it it not very useful. If you make a recording on a fast computer and do something that take computation like open a browser your recording will break on a slow computer because your browser will not have opened when you all ready start moving it's window.
Also it does not work well with different screens sizes. and a whole other lot of surprises that will pop up.

But it is very neat when it works :-)

Cheers,
Karl

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Karl Ramberg wrote
> Did  you look at the EventTheatreMorph in Etoys ?

I guess you mean EventRecordingSpace, which is accessible via
WorldMenu->open->"event theatre"?

That's cool! It feels close to what I want, but from what I can see it is
not a "real" world, but a partially simulated one. For example, some of the
toolbar buttons (like supplies) work with the theatre, some (like help and
fullscreen) operate on etoys proper, and some (e.g. language) don't work at
all. Also the hand is in the etoys world, so e.g. moving the theatre throws
off playing scripts. Lastly, resizing doesn't scale the theatre elements
(like the toolbar), but just occludes them.

A few requirements are:
- the window feel like a media player e.g. resizing scales its contents
proportionally while playback continues
- recording keeps the full power of the system e.g. one can bring up a world
menu inside the window

For sure the theatre is inspiring, but my question is really about how to
hack into PasteUpMorph/HandMorph to have a world running in another world
without locking up the system…

Thanks again for the pointer to some cool work :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ScreencastMorph

Bert Freudenberg

On 16.01.2014, at 18:54, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Karl Ramberg wrote
>> Did  you look at the EventTheatreMorph in Etoys ?
>
> I guess you mean EventRecordingSpace, which is accessible via
> WorldMenu->open->"event theatre"?
>
> That's cool! It feels close to what I want, but from what I can see it is
> not a "real" world, but a partially simulated one. For example, some of the
> toolbar buttons (like supplies) work with the theatre, some (like help and
> fullscreen) operate on etoys proper, and some (e.g. language) don't work at
> all. Also the hand is in the etoys world, so e.g. moving the theatre throws
> off playing scripts. Lastly, resizing doesn't scale the theatre elements
> (like the toolbar), but just occludes them.
>
> A few requirements are:
> - the window feel like a media player e.g. resizing scales its contents
> proportionally while playback continues
> - recording keeps the full power of the system e.g. one can bring up a world
> menu inside the window
>
> For sure the theatre is inspiring, but my question is really about how to
> hack into PasteUpMorph/HandMorph to have a world running in another world
> without locking up the system…
>
> Thanks again for the pointer to some cool work :)
In that case you might look at WiWPasteUpMorph ("world-in-window").

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: ScreencastMorph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
*Sounds* perfect! I'll take a look. Thanks Bert

In that case you might look at WiWPasteUpMorph ("world-in-window").

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

http://forum.world.st/ScreencastMorph-tp4737216p4737339.html
To unsubscribe from ScreencastMorph, click here.
NAML
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ScreencastMorph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks!