Seaside book

12

Seaside book

Blake-5
Hey, guys,

        I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to say: If I
base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for free but at the
same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their work.

        How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want to check
over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart from that?

        ===Blake===

Re: Seaside book

Roger Whitney
There are a few issues that are VW specific that would be nice to
cover (or at least what I would like to see) like installing,
configuring and deploying. The current thread about shortening the
url for apps on VW is an example of a specific VW configuration.

On Jul 21, 2007, at 3:09 PM, Blake wrote:

> Hey, guys,
>
> I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
> wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to
> say: If I base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for
> free but at the same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their
> work.
>
> How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want
> to check over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart
> from that?
>
> ===Blake===

----
Roger Whitney              Department of Computer Science
[hidden email]        San Diego State University
http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/   San Diego, CA 92182-7720
(619) 583-1978
(619) 594-3535 (office)
(619) 594-6746 (fax)

Re: Seaside book

Conrad Taylor
Hi Blake, it's GREAT to hear that someone is starting to do some research for a forthcoming book about Seaside.  Anyway, I'll keep this short and sweet. I think a very good example would be to follow a structure similar to "Agile Web Development with Rails 2ed" by Dave Thomas et al.  Thus, I would be interested in seeing the following in the table of contents:

1 Introduction

Part I

2 The Architecture of Seaside Applications

3    Installing Seaside
3.1 Squeak Smalltalk
3.2 VisualWorks Smalltalk
3.3 Seaside and Databases
3.4 Keeping Up-to-Date
3.5 Pre-Deploymnent Information

4 My First Seaside Application
Note:  This chapter should be devoted to getting an application up and running.  Thus, there will be one or more subsections as needed.

Part II - Building an Application

Note:  The chapters and associated sections within Part II should be devoted to design and implementing an entire dynamic web application from beginning to end.  For example, a better MySpace would be GREAT to see but I leave this up to you.

Part III - Seaside Framework

Note:  The chapters and associated sections within Part III should be devoted to learning the ins and out of the Seaside Framework ( i.e. detailed reference with examples).  Furthermore, it should cover all of the major pieces in separate chapters and associated subsections.

Part IV - Security and Deployment of Seaside Application

Note:  The title says it all but I think here is wear you'll step the novice reader through a pseudo-script. Then you'll step the user through the actual deployment of the application that they built in Part II.

Part V - Appendices

A Introduction to Smalltalk

B Other appendices can be added as needed

Lastly, this is just a suggestion and it worked when I first read the agile book.  Also, you might find it feasible to move the appendix on "Introduction to Smalltalk" to the chapter after installation but I feel that the goal of the book is about Seaside.  Thus, I feel that it's appropriate in the appendix.  Just something to think about.  Also, I would be very interested in assisting in the book's structure, implementation, and code testing.  Well, I must go and I wish you all the best.

Good luck,

-Conrad

On 7/21/07, Blake <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey, guys,

        I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to say: If I
base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for free but at the
same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their work.

        How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want to check
over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart from that?

        ===Blake===

Re: Seaside book

stephane ducasse
Excellent!
May be we should sync since david, rick and me have been working on a
seaside book: getting starting with Seaside.
Because it would be nice to have a advanced seaside follow up. We
were planning (argh) to get a draft public version for the end of
the summer (re arg). But may be this is the time to kick us and put
it public. We will discuss between us to see.

Stef

On 22 juil. 07, at 00:09, Blake wrote:

> Hey, guys,
>
> I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
> wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to
> say: If I base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for
> free but at the same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their
> work.
>
> How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want
> to check over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart
> from that?
>
> ===Blake===

Re: Seaside book

jgfoster
I believe that all dialects of Smalltalk that support Seaside (you left
out Dolphin and GemStone) have a no-cost edition. It seems that
addressing each of these alternatives would be valuable.

James

Blake wrote:

> Hey, guys,
>
>     I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
> wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to say:
> If I base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for free but
> at the same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their work.
>
>     How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want
> to check over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart
> from that?
>
>     ===Blake===

Re: Seaside book

Philippe Marschall
2007/7/22, James Foster <[hidden email]>:
> I believe that all dialects of Smalltalk that support Seaside (you left
> out Dolphin and GemStone) have a no-cost edition. It seems that
> addressing each of these alternatives would be valuable.

Does anyody know if the Dolphin port has ever been updated or what
changes went into it since the original port?

Philippe

> James
>
> Blake wrote:
> > Hey, guys,
> >
> >     I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
> > wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to say:
> > If I base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for free but
> > at the same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their work.
> >
> >     How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want
> > to check over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart
> > from that?
> >
> >     ===Blake===

Re: Seaside book

Blake-5
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:13:45 -0700, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent!
> May be we should sync since david, rick and me have been working on a
> seaside book: getting starting with Seaside.
> Because it would be nice to have a advanced seaside follow up. We were
> planning (argh) to get a draft public version for the end of
> the summer (re arg). But may be this is the time to kick us and put it
> public. We will discuss between us to see.

So...you have the basics covered, you're saying?

Maybe I should look at an outline of what you're doing so as not to
duplicate it? Are you assuming Smalltalk and/or other programming
proficieny?

Re: Seaside book

Conrad Taylor
Hi James, I agree with you 100% addressing all the versions of Smalltalk.  However, I would save Gemstone/S for the database integration parts of the book but Dolphin Smalltalk would added to the installation parts of the book.  Anyway, in the outline that I proposed, I assumed that the reader had
programming proficiency but I added the "Introduction to Smalltalk" appendix for people that do not.
It would be GREAT to incorporate something like this in the forthcoming books on Seaside.

-Conrad

Blake wrote:

> Hey, guys,
>
>     I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
> wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to say:
> If I base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for free but
> at the same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their work.
>
>     How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want
> to check over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart
> from that?
>
>     ===Blake===

Re: Seaside book

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Seaside book

Except GemStone in this context is way more than just a database, its also the execution platform for seaside itself so would have to be accounted for throughout IMHO.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

        Blake wrote:
        > Hey, guys,
        >
        >     I'm creating an outline and some samples for a Seaside book and am
        > wondering: Should I concern myself with Visual Works? That is to say:
        > If I base the book on Squeak, I know everyone can get it for free but
        > at the same time, some may choose VW over Squeak for their work.
        >
        >     How much accomodation should I make for VW? Obviously, I'll want
        > to check over the examples in VW and make sure they work, but apart
        > from that?
        >
        >     ===Blake===
        > [hidden email][hidden email]

        [hidden email][hidden email]

[hidden email] [hidden email]
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside" target="_blank"> http://lists.squeakfoundation<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside" target="_blank">.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

Re: Seaside book

Jason Rogers-4
Just a quick chime-in here...

I have a contact at Manning Books that is looking for new topics.  I
am not sure if the books being discussed here are meant to be free.
If not, and if you want to consider a publisher, please contact me
offline.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

RE: Seaside book

Monty Williams
I'm not sure your restriction makes sense in today's world. You can happily run Ubuntu Server Linux in a VMWare environment on a MacBook or other machine, and use Squeak on the native environment as a development platform.

GLASS (GemStone, Linux, Apache, Seaside, and Smalltalk) as a deployment environment (instead of LAMP) will also run in a virtualized machine. http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/ is running in a virtualized Xen domU with 768MB of RAM and a 20GB disk image. The underlying hardware is a dual-processor Opteron 252 2.6GHz with 2GB of RAM which also runs GemStone’s other external websites, mail, a Confluence wiki, and DNS.

-- Monty

        <A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation" target=_blank>http://lists.squeakfoundation <<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation" target=_blank> http://lists.squeakfoundation> .org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

[hidden email] [hidden email]
<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside" target=_blank>http://lists.squeakfoundation<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside" target=_blank>.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

Re: Seaside book

Conrad Taylor
Hi Monty, you're correct but the goal of the book is Seaside.  Next,
VMWare isn't free and I would not expect my customers to purchase
VMWare, install Ubuntu, and finally install a Smalltalk environment
and Seaside packages.  I prefer one to focus on installing the
Smalltalk environment and the Seaside package(s).  Monty, just because
I can use VMWare doesn't mean that it's necessary or needed for
learning Seaside.  In short, the book should be focused on learning
Seaside in the native development environment whether it be
VisualWorks, Dolphin, and Squeak environments.  Now, if my deployable
image is VisualWorks or Dolphin, how would installing VMWare satisfy
these users?

-Conrad

On 7/27/07, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure your restriction makes sense in today's world. You can happily
> run Ubuntu Server Linux in a VMWare environment on a MacBook or other
> machine, and use Squeak on the native environment as a development platform.
>
> GLASS (GemStone, Linux, Apache, Seaside, and Smalltalk) as a deployment
> environment (instead of LAMP) will also run in a virtualized machine.
> http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/ is running in a virtualized Xen domU with
> 768MB of RAM and a 20GB disk image. The underlying hardware is a
> dual-processor Opteron 252 2.6GHz with 2GB of RAM which also runs GemStone's
> other external websites, mail, a Confluence wiki, and DNS.
>
> -- Monty
>

>  ________________________________

Not quite still. VMware Player is free and users don't need to install Ubuntu themselves, they could download GemStone's Seaside VM  with everything included and configured, which as a matter of fact may be easier than installing and setting up VisualWorks from scratch for instance. All dialects deserve a mention and quick start sections IMHO.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Hi Monty, you're correct but the goal of the book is Seaside.  Next,
VMWare isn't free and I would not expect my customers to purchase
VMWare, install Ubuntu, and finally install a Smalltalk environment
and Seaside packages.  I prefer one to focus on installing the
Smalltalk environment and the Seaside package(s).  Monty, just because
I can use VMWare doesn't mean that it's necessary or needed for
learning Seaside.  In short, the book should be focused on learning
Seaside in the native development environment whether it be
VisualWorks, Dolphin, and Squeak environments.  Now, if my deployable
image is VisualWorks or Dolphin, how would installing VMWare satisfy
these users?

-Conrad

On 7/27/07, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure your restriction makes sense in today's world. You can happily
> run Ubuntu Server Linux in a VMWare environment on a MacBook or other
> machine, and use Squeak on the native environment as a development platform.
>
> GLASS (GemStone, Linux, Apache, Seaside, and Smalltalk) as a deployment
> environment (instead of LAMP) will also run in a virtualized machine.
> http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/ is running in a virtualized Xen domU with
> 768MB of RAM and a 20GB disk image. The underlying hardware is a
> dual-processor Opteron 252 2.6GHz with 2GB of RAM which also runs GemStone's
> other external websites, mail, a Confluence wiki, and DNS.
>
> -- Monty
>

>  ________________________________

Re: Seaside book

Conrad Taylor
Hi, I had to install one package when I got started with Seaside on
VisualWorks and this process took about 5 minutes or so.  Next, VMWare
seems to only support Intel based Macs.  Thus, this will not work on
non-Intel based Macs.  Also, with the forthcoming VMWare Fusion, it's
slated for Intel based Macs.  In any case, agree with Boris that there
needs to be converage for the various dialects.  Does the Gemstone
Seaside VM work with VisualWorks?

-Conrad

On 7/27/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not quite still. VMware Player is free and users don't need to install
> Ubuntu themselves, they could download GemStone's Seaside VM  with
> everything included and configured, which as a matter of fact may be easier
> than installing and setting up VisualWorks from scratch for instance. All
> dialects deserve a mention and quick start sections IMHO.
>
>  Cheers!
>
>  -Boris
>  (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Re: Seaside book

cbeler
Conrad Taylor a écrit :

> > Hi, I had to install one package when I got started with Seaside on
> > VisualWorks and this process took about 5 minutes or so.  Next, VMWare
> > seems to only support Intel based Macs.  Thus, this will not work on
> > non-Intel based Macs.  Also, with the forthcoming VMWare Fusion, it's
> > slated for Intel based Macs.  In any case, agree with Boris that there
> > needs to be converage for the various dialects.  Does the Gemstone
> > Seaside VM work with VisualWorks?
> >
> > -Conrad

What do you think of virtualbox instead of vmware [1] ? There is an
opensource edition and it seems it works on all platforms.

FWIW

Cédrick

Re: Seaside book

jgfoster
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> VMWare isn't free
See http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html for the free
versions of VMware.

Re: Seaside book

jgfoster
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> Does the Gemstone Seaside VM work with VisualWorks?
Yes, for certain definitions of "work with." But why do you ask?

James

Re: Seaside book

Conrad Taylor
Hi, I ask because I use VisualWorks in development.  Next, I'm plan to deploy with VisualWorks as well.

-Conrad

On 7/28/07, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> Does the Gemstone Seaside VM work with VisualWorks?
Yes, for certain definitions of "work with." But why do you ask?

James

Re: Seaside book

jgfoster
If you plan to deploy your Seaside application with VisualWorks, then
were you thinking of using GemStone just for persistence? If so, then
the traditional GBS (GemBuilder for Smalltalk) works just fine with
VisualWorks. Note, however, that the no-cost "Web Edition" of GemStone
does not include GBS. To use GBS you would need another license.

James

Conrad Taylor wrote:

> Hi, I ask because I use VisualWorks in development.  Next, I'm plan to
> deploy with VisualWorks as well.
>
> -Conrad
>
> On 7/28/07, * James Foster* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Conrad Taylor wrote:
>     > Does the Gemstone Seaside VM work with VisualWorks?
>     Yes, for certain definitions of "work with." But why do you ask?
>
>     James

12