Second LIfe plugin API

LawsonEnglish
As part of my on-going work on finding synergy, someone, somewhere,
might want to look at this:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Media_Rendering_Plugin_Framework_Technical_Overview

and consider what might be done with Squeak/Phara/Croquet/Cobalt/Seaside
in a Second Life context.

Lawson

Re: [squeak-dev] Second LIfe plugin API

Howard Stearns-3
Cool. What do you have in mind?

Do you have any experience with the QuickTime media plugin?  How is it
in general? How is it for streaming sources?

The model for coordinating plugin activity across clients was not
clear to me. E.g., if I fire up QuickTime for a movie, how do all
other clients in the sim (that happen to have the plugin installed)
get coordinated to the same place in the movie?

Howard Stearns
Qwaq: +1-650-331-1437
mobile: +1-608-658-2419

On Aug 18, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Lawson English wrote:

> As part of my on-going work on finding synergy, someone, somewhere,
> might want to look at this:
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Media_Rendering_Plugin_Framework_Technical_Overview
>
> and consider what might be done with Squeak/Phara/Croquet/Cobalt/
> Seaside in a Second Life context.
>

> Lawson

Re: Re: [squeak-dev] Second LIfe plugin API

LawsonEnglish
Howard Stearns wrote:

> Cool. What do you have in mind?
>
> Do you have any experience with the QuickTime media plugin?  How is it
> in general? How is it for streaming sources?
>
> The model for coordinating plugin activity across clients was not
> clear to me. E.g., if I fire up QuickTime for a movie, how do all
> other clients in the sim (that happen to have the plugin installed)
> get coordinated to the same place in the movie?
>

> Howard Stearns
> Qwaq: +1-650-331-1437
> mobile: +1-608-658-2419

The way it works right now (and in the future unless they change
things), a land-owner can set a "parcel media" URL which is the URL to a
streaming media server that will play on any local object that displays
a certain texture.

The plugin API extends that to allow for custom plugins to run, but only
in the context of the parcel media URL texture.

I can imagine many cases where a media plugin served from localhost
might be useful. It should be possible to specify localhost as a valid
url for media-on-a-prim (HUD at least) that is settable separately from,
or as an alternative to, the parcel media URL.
IOW, if I install a custom HUD with a localhost url as the parcel media
url, I should be able to interact with a private plugin
running/streaming on my own comp.

E.G. a seaside server on localhost doing all sorts of spiffy things that
I haven't thought of yet. The plugin API makes it easy to have a plugin
be part of the second life world, as far as GUI is concerned. I'm trying
to convince people to create another message/event mechanism to allow
more direct interaction with the SL viewer. IE, use Squeak as a
scripting plugin on the viewer side. One could use the media API to
provide a GUI and use the events API to send commands for generic
scripting of the SL viewer.

Lawson

Re: Re: [squeak-dev] Second LIfe plugin API

LawsonEnglish
https://svn.secondlife.com/svn/linden/branches/2009/plugin-api/indra/media_plugins/

Is the source for the plugin samples. That's as much info as I can get
past what little is on the wiki...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Media_Rendering_Plugin_Framework

Lawson

Lawson English wrote:
> As part of my on-going work on finding synergy, someone, somewhere,
> might want to look at this:
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Media_Rendering_Plugin_Framework_Technical_Overview

Apparently the SL plugin test app already handles this:
http://www.canvaspaint.org/

So the sky should be the limit for what can be done...

Lawson