Selecting distributed plugins

Nicolas Cellier

Hi all,
Robert kindly asked me whether it would be possible to include DES and MD5 plugins in OpenSmalltalk VM distribution.

We currently generate src/plugins code for those 2, but don't compile them.

This raises the question: who decides which plugin gets included/compiled/distributed or not? On which criterion?

Re: Selecting distributed plugins

Levente Uzonyi

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Robert kindly asked me whether it would be possible to include DES and
MD5 plugins in OpenSmalltalk VM distribution.

> We currently generate src/plugins code for those 2, but don't compile
them.

There's also the SHA256Plugin which didn't see much use for sure.
MD5 is covered by the CroquetPlugin, and DES is pretty much outdated.
I suspect that neither of these plugins are ready for 64-bit compilation,
and they probably yield plenty of warnings because of typing issues.

> This raises the question: who decides which plugin gets
included/compiled/distributed or not? On which criterion?

IIRC these were included with the interpreter VM, but only after the Terf
VM branch was created. Since the latter became the current main branch, we
do not have those plugins in today's builds.

Levente

P.S.: I've got an unreleased package which implements MD5/SHA1/SHA2 hashes
in Smalltalk, optionally using DSAPrims and CroquetPlugin for the first
two. If there's interest, I can upload it somewhere.

Re: Selecting distributed plugins

Robert Withers-2

I do not believe it is a good idea to have multiple implementations of
these primitives running about. Why didn't Croquet leverage the work
done in Cryptography? A question for the ages. Can we consolidate them
now, under the Cryptography plugins, please? Those are tested against
the Cryptography code. As far as 64-bit, I do not know, I imagine they
have not been ported. I am CCing the Cryptography team in case someone
would be interested in doing that work for the team. I still offer the
DES and TripleDES options for encryption in ParrotTalk. I am also using
SHA256. What would be really sweet is if someone could implement SHA512...

There are also the DateAndTuime errors in 5.3RC3, and a failure of

MultiByteFileStream>>#primSize:

in

Squeak5.3rc2-19422-64bit which I wrote about to the dev list.

Kindly,
Rabbit

On 3/1/20 2:39 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> Robert kindly asked me whether it would be possible to include DES and
> MD5 plugins in OpenSmalltalk VM distribution.
>> We currently generate src/plugins code for those 2, but don't compile
> them.
>
> There's also the SHA256Plugin which didn't see much use for sure.
> MD5 is covered by the CroquetPlugin, and DES is pretty much outdated.
> I suspect that neither of these plugins are ready for 64-bit compilation,
> and they probably yield plenty of warnings because of typing issues.
>
>> This raises the question: who decides which plugin gets
> included/compiled/distributed or not? On which criterion?
>
> IIRC these were included with the interpreter VM, but only after the Terf
> VM branch was created. Since the latter became the current main branch, we
> do not have those plugins in today's builds.
>
> Levente
>
> P.S.: I've got an unreleased package which implements MD5/SHA1/SHA2 hashes
> in Smalltalk, optionally using DSAPrims and CroquetPlugin for the first
> two. If there's interest, I can upload it somewhere.

Re: Selecting distributed plugins

Levente Uzonyi

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020, Robert wrote:

> I do not believe it is a good idea to have multiple implementations of
> these primitives running about. Why didn't Croquet leverage the work
> done in Cryptography? A question for the ages. Can we consolidate them

It was very likely done independently around the same time. The
CroquetPlugin also has a primitive which you may be interested in:
primitiveGatherEntropy, which can fill up a ByteArray with random bytes.
It's available as Random class >> #gatherEntropyInto: in recent Squeak
versions.

> now, under the Cryptography plugins, please? Those are tested against
> the Cryptography code. As far as 64-bit, I do not know, I imagine they
> have not been ported. I am CCing the Cryptography team in case someone
> would be interested in doing that work for the team. I still offer the
> DES and TripleDES options for encryption in ParrotTalk. I am also using
> SHA256. What would be really sweet is if someone could implement SHA512...

I've uploaded the code I mentioned before which implement various hash
functions including SHA512. In an image with no Cryptography loaded,
evaluate:

Installer ss
  project: 'Registers';
  install: 'Registers';
  project: 'Hasher';
  install: 'Hasher'.

Then you can write:

HashFunction newSHA512 hashMessage: 'test'.

Levente