Selectors with underscores

Torsten Bergmann
>To my understanding, there is no need of _ in selectors, BUT for
>hooking external procedures.

There are different use cases, three of the most known:

  a) ORM (GLORP, ...)
     Mapping column names (which may have underscores) to methods

  b) External stuff (FFI, C-Mapping)
     Callbacks with the same name as C-functions (with underscores), ...

  c) Mapping of files to methods
     Seaside for instance maps file resources (CSS, images,
     javascripts, ... who can have underscores in filenames)
     either external (Apache, ...) or in-image as methods in
     subclasses of WAFileLibrary

Bye
T.

Re: Selectors with underscores

Nicolas Cellier
2010/3/11 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:

>>To my understanding, there is no need of _ in selectors, BUT for
>>hooking external procedures.
>
> There are different use cases, three of the most known:
>
>  a) ORM (GLORP, ...)
>     Mapping column names (which may have underscores) to methods
>
>  b) External stuff (FFI, C-Mapping)
>     Callbacks with the same name as C-functions (with underscores), ...
>
>  c) Mapping of files to methods
>     Seaside for instance maps file resources (CSS, images,
>     javascripts, ... who can have underscores in filenames)
>     either external (Apache, ...) or in-image as methods in
>     subclasses of WAFileLibrary

Agree, procedure was a bit restrictive. Say external blob :)

Nicolas

> Bye
> T.

Re: Selectors with underscores

Bert Freudenberg
On 11.03.2010, at 22:10, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2010/3/11 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
>>> To my understanding, there is no need of _ in selectors, BUT for
>>> hooking external procedures.
>>
>> There are different use cases, three of the most known:
>>
>>  a) ORM (GLORP, ...)
>>     Mapping column names (which may have underscores) to methods
>>
>>  b) External stuff (FFI, C-Mapping)
>>     Callbacks with the same name as C-functions (with underscores), ...

DBus calls is where I last encountered them. CamelCase methods can be called transparently, but for selectors with underscores I had to resort to #dbusPerform:. Actually, for those cases I'd wish for Croquet's positional arg support ... (ducks and runs)

- Bert -