SemaphoreTest fails in trunk, is a fix needed for the 5.2 release?

SemaphoreTest fails in trunk, is a fix needed for the 5.2 release?

David T. Lewis
Semaphore seems like a rather basic thing that should work correctly in
any Squeak image. The tests do not pass in trunk any more.

Specifically, SemaphoreTest>>testSemaInCriticalWait fails in trunk, but passes
in the earlier Squeak 4.6 / 5.0 images.

Is this a real problem? Does it need to be fixed for the 5.2 release?

Dave

Re: SemaphoreTest fails in trunk, is a fix needed for the 5.2 release?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi David,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:38 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Semaphore seems like a rather basic thing that should work correctly in
any Squeak image. The tests do not pass in trunk any more.

Specifically, SemaphoreTest>>testSemaInCriticalWait fails in trunk, but passes
in the earlier Squeak 4.6 / 5.0 images.

Is this a real problem? Does it need to be fixed for the 5.2 release?

On the face of it it looks like a serious bug.  I'll look at it properly today.  I'll be able to say more after I've looked at it.  If it is indeed a bug I'd say we do need it to get fixed.

Dave

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: SemaphoreTest fails in trunk, is a fix needed for the 5.2 release?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Dave,

> On Jul 23, 2018, at 7:38 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Semaphore seems like a rather basic thing that should work correctly in
> any Squeak image. The tests do not pass in trunk any more.
>
> Specifically, SemaphoreTest>>testSemaInCriticalWait fails in trunk, but passes
> in the earlier Squeak 4.6 / 5.0 images.
>
> Is this a real problem? Does it need to be fixed for the 5.2 release?

Yes and yes.  I have a fix (a fix to Process>>#terminate that also allows a simpler version of Semaphore>>#critical:) that I shall commit to inbox very soon.  Am in the middle of composing a full description of the problem and solution, but it’s a long post and has taken longer than I had assumed, hence this quick response.  Bert, Levente, Clément, Marcus, heads up, I would like (at least) you all to read and review the fixes when I commit.

> Dave

Eliot