Sending messages over Bluethooth "serial port"

Sending messages over Bluethooth "serial port"

Mispunt
Hi guys,

I am trying to write some code (in squeak) to talk to the Lego
Mindstorms NXT. Therefore I need to communicate with a Bluetooth
"serial port".

I can connect to the port using the SerialPort class (at least I don't
get any message that tell otherwise), but when I try to send any
message to the serial port Squeak doesn't response anymore. When I
turn off Bluetooth I get an message like: "Error: a primitive has
failed."

I am working on Windows XP (in case you want / need to know)

Are there people who have succesfully "talked" over the Bluetooth "serial port"?

Mispunt

Re: Sending messages over Bluethooth "serial port"

Lukas Renggli
> I am trying to write some code (in squeak) to talk to the Lego
> Mindstorms NXT. Therefore I need to communicate with a Bluetooth
> "serial port".

I once wrote started doing exactly that. The basic communication
protocol using bluetooth is working but I didn't got any further as
time is missing. The code certainly only works on OS X and Linux right
now, but maybe it is still useful to you? Probably you need to
implement a different subclass of NxtConnection to access the serial
port the windows-way.

Please keep me updated in the progress, I am interested into that kind
of stuff ;-)

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Nxt-Connection.st (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Sending messages over Bluethooth "serial port"

Mispunt
> > I am trying to write some code (in squeak) to talk to the Lego
> > Mindstorms NXT. Therefore I need to communicate with a Bluetooth
> > "serial port".
>
> I once wrote started doing exactly that. The basic communication
> protocol using bluetooth is working but I didn't got any further as
> time is missing. The code certainly only works on OS X and Linux right
> now, but maybe it is still useful to you? Probably you need to
> implement a different subclass of NxtConnection to access the serial
> port the windows-way.

Thanks for you're help, I probably could use it. It gives me some
inside of how I have to do the message lengt thing ;)
I will try to get this working. I have enough time because this is for
my work :)

> Please keep me updated in the progress, I am interested into that kind
> of stuff ;-)

I will do that.

Mispunt.

Re: Sending messages over Bluethooth "serial port"

Lukas Renggli
> > > I am trying to write some code (in squeak) to talk to the Lego
> > > Mindstorms NXT. Therefore I need to communicate with a Bluetooth
> > > "serial port".
> >
> > I once wrote started doing exactly that. The basic communication
> > protocol using bluetooth is working but I didn't got any further as
> > time is missing. The code certainly only works on OS X and Linux right
> > now, but maybe it is still useful to you? Probably you need to
> > implement a different subclass of NxtConnection to access the serial
> > port the windows-way.
>
> Thanks for you're help, I probably could use it. It gives me some
> inside of how I have to do the message lengt thing ;)
> I will try to get this working. I have enough time because this is for
> my work :)

Cool. I put the code into my monticello repository, that's maybe
easier if you want to commit something. So far only #name:, #ping and
#battery works ;-)

MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/nxt/'
        user: ''
        password: ''

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Sending messages over Bluethooth "serial port"

Mispunt
> I can connect to the port using the SerialPort class (at least I don't
> get any message that tell otherwise), but when I try to send any
> message to the serial port Squeak doesn't response anymore. When I
> turn off Bluetooth I get an message like: "Error: a primitive has
> failed."

Well, I am still not able to send any message to the serial port of
Windows. (Same error)
Does anyone else have problems with the SerialPort class?

On 2/23/07, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > I once wrote started doing exactly that. The basic communication
> > > protocol using bluetooth is working but I didn't got any further as
> > > time is missing. The code certainly only works on OS X and Linux right
> > > now, but maybe it is still useful to you? Probably you need to
> > > implement a different subclass of NxtConnection to access the serial
> > > port the windows-way.
> >
> > Thanks for you're help, I probably could use it. It gives me some
> > inside of how I have to do the message lengt thing ;)
> > I will try to get this working. I have enough time because this is for
> > my work :)
>
> Cool. I put the code into my monticello repository, that's maybe
> easier if you want to commit something. So far only #name:, #ping and
> #battery works ;-)
>
> MCHttpRepository
>         location: 'http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/nxt/'
>         user: ''
>         password: ''
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Sending messages over Bluethooth "serial port"

Mispunt
Never mind, I've got it working. I am not using the SerialPort class,
but the complete implementation of Lukas. I am not even made any
change but just said that the filename was COM4 (in my case).