classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SerialPort question regarding port names

Ricardo Moran
Hi,

For a while I've been using an old version of Squeak so recently I decided to update and I downloaded Squeak 5.1. 
First of all, let me tell you I really like what you have done. I haven't been following the list too much lately so I'm only scratching the surface but this new Squeak looks and feels *really* nice. And most of my preferences are already set by default so I don't have to mess around with the settings too much. Really nice work, thank you.

One thing I noticed while I was playing with the SerialPort is that it doesn't work if I refer to the ports by name (I'm using Windows 10, by the way). This used to work in the old VM so I looked in the source code and it seems the primitives that allow to use port names are only compiled for Pharo:

So I downloaded the PharoVM and indeed the SerialPort works fine with port names. Is there a reason for this or is it just a bug?

Thanks,
Richo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Primitives merged back from the PharoVM branch should be reviewed (Re: SerialPort question regarding port names)

Levente Uzonyi
Nice catch. The cause of the problem is that the primitives were merged
into the Cog branch from PharoVM. These came with
VMMaker.oscog-EstebanLorenzano.1317.
All primitives merged from that branch should be revisited, because
while many of those (like these) are from the original VMMaker branch,
they are flagged with <option: #Pharo>.

Levente

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a while I've been using an old version of Squeak so recently I decided to update and I downloaded Squeak 5.1. 
> First of all, let me tell you I really like what you have done. I haven't been following the list too much lately so I'm only scratching the surface but this new Squeak looks and feels *really* nice. And most of my preferences are already set by default so I don't have
> to mess around with the settings too much. Really nice work, thank you.
>
> One thing I noticed while I was playing with the SerialPort is that it doesn't work if I refer to the ports by name (I'm using Windows 10, by the way). This used to work in the old VM so I looked in the source code and it seems the primitives that allow to use port
> names are only compiled for Pharo:
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/9d39149b257141914497d9c7454e3a2ce6193ec8/src/plugins/SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.c#L41
>
> So I downloaded the PharoVM and indeed the SerialPort works fine with port names. Is there a reason for this or is it just a bug?
>
> Thanks,
> Richo
>
>