Services-*

Tobias Pape
Hi all

What are the “Serivces” for?
Are they actually used?
When I open the “Service Browser” from the Apps
menu, all I get is a crippled Preference browser??

Should we keep or nuke?

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Services-*

Chris Muller-3
Don't know about the Service Browser, but Services themselves are the
mechanism by which outside frameworks can extend the IDE functions
with additional menu entries.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> What are the “Serivces” for?
> Are they actually used?
> When I open the “Service Browser” from the Apps
> menu, all I get is a crippled Preference browser??
>
> Should we keep or nuke?
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: Services-*

Tobias Pape
On 16.10.2013, at 16:46, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't know about the Service Browser, but Services themselves are the
> mechanism by which outside frameworks can extend the IDE functions
> with additional menu entries.

Is there any example for that?

Best
        -Tobias

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> What are the “Serivces” for?
>> Are they actually used?
>> When I open the “Service Browser” from the Apps
>> menu, all I get is a crippled Preference browser??
>>
>> Should we keep or nuke?
>>
>> Best
>>        -Tobias

Re: Services-*

Chris Muller-3
Sure, the thing I wanted you to include in SS3, and which I intend to
put into trunk for access more-reliable and more robust access to
Squeak-based SqueakSource back-ends.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2013-September/173055.html

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16.10.2013, at 16:46, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Don't know about the Service Browser, but Services themselves are the
>> mechanism by which outside frameworks can extend the IDE functions
>> with additional menu entries.
>
> Is there any example for that?
>
> Best
>         -Tobias
>

>> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> What are the “Serivces” for?
>>> Are they actually used?
>>> When I open the “Service Browser” from the Apps
>>> menu, all I get is a crippled Preference browser??
>>>
>>> Should we keep or nuke?
>>>
>>> Best
>>>        -Tobias

cbc

Re: Services-*

cbc
Are these in any way related to the services in FileList?  Or is the Services talked about a completely new, independent thing?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't know about the Service Browser, but Services themselves are the
mechanism by which outside frameworks can extend the IDE functions
with additional menu entries.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> What are the “Serivces” for?
> Are they actually used?
> When I open the “Service Browser” from the Apps
> menu, all I get is a crippled Preference browser??
>
> Should we keep or nuke?
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: Services-*

Chris Muller-3
Yes to the first question.  No to the second.  :)