Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Levente Uzonyi
Hi All,

As the subject says, outdenting is broken in the Trunk. It used to work
short after Chris changed the keys, but it doesn't anymore.
Does anyone know why?
Does it work on other platforms?

Levente

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Chris Muller-3
I don't remember it ever working in Linux.  The VM does not detect
Shift+Tab in Linux, but does on other platforms.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As the subject says, outdenting is broken in the Trunk. It used to work
> short after Chris changed the keys, but it doesn't anymore.
> Does anyone know why?
> Does it work on other platforms?
>
> Levente

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

timrowledge

> On 23-02-2016, at 7:26 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't remember it ever working in Linux.  The VM does not detect
> Shift+Tab in Linux, but does on other platforms.

Interestingly it *does* work on unix if you are communicating through xrdp, as I do for my Pi’s.
But otherwise - well, this is why cmd-shift-l/r were useful. I’m not at all convinced that getting a filelist or a recent submissions instead is a useful idea.

tim
Strange OpCodes: FA: Failsafe Armed

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Levente Uzonyi
It might have been over RFB when it worked. This means that we either need
a new VM which supports it, or we have to move indentation to some other
combination.

Levente

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Chris Muller wrote:

> I don't remember it ever working in Linux.  The VM does not detect
> Shift+Tab in Linux, but does on other platforms.
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As the subject says, outdenting is broken in the Trunk. It used to work
>> short after Chris changed the keys, but it doesn't anymore.
>> Does anyone know why?
>> Does it work on other platforms?
>>
>> Levente

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
It might have been over RFB when it worked. This means that we either need a new VM which supports it, or we have to move indentation to some other combination.

The issue must lie in the platforms/unix/vm-displayX11 code right?  Volunteers?

Levente

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Chris Muller wrote:

I don't remember it ever working in Linux.  The VM does not detect
Shift+Tab in Linux, but does on other platforms.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

As the subject says, outdenting is broken in the Trunk. It used to work
short after Chris changed the keys, but it doesn't anymore.
Does anyone know why?
Does it work on other platforms?

Levente

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

timrowledge

> On 23-02-2016, at 10:06 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It might have been over RFB when it worked. This means that we either need a new VM which supports it, or we have to move indentation to some other combination.
>
> The issue must lie in the platforms/unix/vm-displayX11 code right?

I’m not sure. After all, if it gets there from a Mac running rdp to a Pi running xrdp surely it is going through the vm-displayX11 code? I mean, so far as the vm is concerned it is just running on an X desktop. Isn’t it? I have full Pi desktop here, not just some X window wrapped around Squeak.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BDC: Break Down and Cry

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

David T. Lewis
If you are patient enough to tinker with it, you can identify the X11
window for the Squeak display using xwininfo (hint - IIRC the Squeak
display window is a child X11 window of a toplevel X11 window, which is a
child of the root window). Armed with that information, you can use xev to
display all of the X11 events as they happen.

That approach can be used to the capture X11 events associated with
keystrokes.

Dave

>> On 23-02-2016, at 10:06 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> It might have been over RFB when it worked. This means that we either
>> need a new VM which supports it, or we have to move indentation to some
>> other combination.
>>
>> The issue must lie in the platforms/unix/vm-displayX11 code right?
>
> I’m not sure. After all, if it gets there from a Mac running rdp to a Pi
> running xrdp surely it is going through the vm-displayX11 code? I mean, so
> far as the vm is concerned it is just running on an X desktop. Isn’t it?
> I have full Pi desktop here, not just some X window wrapped around Squeak.
>

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: BDC: Break Down and Cry

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

timrowledge
If you look at the platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c code you will see that shift tab is handled IFF
#if defined(XK_ISO_Left_Tab)
is true. That comes from keysymdef.h which looks to be (on my pi, at least) defined in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h Thus the Pi understands shift-tab. If your unix machine/vm combo does not, then find out where the analogue of keysymdefs.h lives and see why XK_ISO_Left_Tab is not defined.

tim
MIPS:  Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Levente Uzonyi
I just checked if the image receives Shift+Tab, and it does. Pressing the
key combination will make HandMorph distribute these KeyboardEvents:

  [keyDown '<Opt-ÿ>']
  [keyDown '<Shift-tab>']
  [keyUp '<Shift-tab>']
  [keyUp '?']

The first one is generated when Shift is pressed, the last one is
generated when Shift is released.
So, it clearly looks like a bug in the image.

Levente

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Chris Muller wrote:

> I don't remember it ever working in Linux.  The VM does not detect
> Shift+Tab in Linux, but does on other platforms.
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As the subject says, outdenting is broken in the Trunk. It used to work
>> short after Chris changed the keys, but it doesn't anymore.
>> Does anyone know why?
>> Does it work on other platforms?
>>
>> Levente

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Chris Muller-3
How are you testing that Levente?  When I try using

   Sensor kbdTest

I don't get any feedback.  How are you seeing it?

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just checked if the image receives Shift+Tab, and it does. Pressing the
> key combination will make HandMorph distribute these KeyboardEvents:
>
>         [keyDown '<Opt-ÿ>']
>         [keyDown '<Shift-tab>']
>         [keyUp '<Shift-tab>']
>         [keyUp '?']
>
> The first one is generated when Shift is pressed, the last one is generated
> when Shift is released.
> So, it clearly looks like a bug in the image.
>
> Levente
>
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> I don't remember it ever working in Linux.  The VM does not detect
>> Shift+Tab in Linux, but does on other platforms.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> As the subject says, outdenting is broken in the Trunk. It used to work
>>> short after Chris changed the keys, but it doesn't anymore.
>>> Does anyone know why?
>>> Does it work on other platforms?
>>>
>>> Levente

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Levente Uzonyi
I made a class named MockKeyboardListener which had the following method:

handleListenEvent: anEvent

  events ifNil: [ events := OrderedCollection new ].
  [ events size > 100 ] whileTrue: [ events removeFirst ].
  events add: anEvent

Then in a workspace I evaluated the following:

listener := MockKeyboardListener new.
ActiveHand addKeyboardListener: listener.

Explore listener to see the KeyboardEvents.

Sensor kbdTest doesn't show the event for me either.

Levente

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016, Chris Muller wrote:

> How are you testing that Levente?  When I try using
>
>   Sensor kbdTest
>
> I don't get any feedback.  How are you seeing it?
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just checked if the image receives Shift+Tab, and it does. Pressing the
>> key combination will make HandMorph distribute these KeyboardEvents:
>>
>>         [keyDown '<Opt-ÿ>']
>>         [keyDown '<Shift-tab>']
>>         [keyUp '<Shift-tab>']
>>         [keyUp '?']
>>
>> The first one is generated when Shift is pressed, the last one is generated
>> when Shift is released.
>> So, it clearly looks like a bug in the image.
>>
>> Levente
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>>> I don't remember it ever working in Linux.  The VM does not detect
>>> Shift+Tab in Linux, but does on other platforms.

Re: Shift+Tab doesn't outdent on linux

Bert Freudenberg
On 25.02.2016, at 05:46, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just checked if the image receives Shift+Tab, and it does. Pressing the key combination will make HandMorph distribute these KeyboardEvents:
>
> [keyDown '<Opt-ÿ>']
> [keyDown '<Shift-tab>']
> [keyUp '<Shift-tab>']
> [keyUp '?']
>
> The first one is generated when Shift is pressed, the last one is generated when Shift is released.
> So, it clearly looks like a bug in the image.
The image only looks for stroke events (because key-up/down are platform-dependent):

Mac Cocoa:

        [keyDown '0’]
        [keystroke '<Shift-tab>’]
        [keyUp '0']

Mac Carbon:
        [keyDown '0’]
        [keystroke '<Shift-tab>’]
        [keyUp '<Cmd-0>’]

Both don’t generate any event for the shift key btw.

At least the Cocoa VM gets the pairing of up/down right. Carbon and X11 appear to be wrong.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment