Shocked...

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

For some strange reason I just noticed that there were various articles
on http://news.squeak.org that I simply hadn't noticed yet. Is there a
way to subscribe news.squeak.org to the list so that people can see new
stuff instantly? I think our community would benefit greatly from having
that direct link. The Smalltalks 2010, new tools, and Return of
Connectors stuff was just *great*.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Shocked...

Janko Mivšek
On 17. 12. 2010 10:13, Andreas Raab wrote:

> For some strange reason I just noticed that there were various articles
> on http://news.squeak.org that I simply hadn't noticed yet. Is there a
> way to subscribe news.squeak.org to the list so that people can see new
> stuff instantly? I think our community would benefit greatly from having
> that direct link. The Smalltalks 2010, new tools, and Return of
> Connectors stuff was just *great*.

Weeky news have usual RSS feed, also aggregated on
http://planet.smalltalk.org, http://planet.squeak.org, ...

To have an instant notification of RSS feds, you can use RSS Ticker
add-on on FireFox.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Shocked...

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Andreas,

On 17 December 2010 10:13, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For some strange reason I just noticed that there were various articles on
> http://news.squeak.org that I simply hadn't noticed yet. Is there a way to
> subscribe news.squeak.org to the list so that people can see new stuff
> instantly? ...

this is partially my fault, I believe. This isn't about instant
notification by RSS, but I used to assemble the news every
so-and-so-many weeks and cross-post a summary to various mailing
lists. Due to low posting frequency on the Weekly Squeak, there has
been no such message for quite a while, even though some interesting
announcements were among the few posts.

I'll take that up again and post a summary on one of the upcoming
Mondays (the "traditional" summary day).

Best,

Michael

Re: Shocked...

Michael Davies-2
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the kind words about the recent posts. Of course by far the lion's share of the credit goes to the people who create and share such great projects in the first place.

In addition to the approaches already mentioned, there are a few other ways to keep in touch with new postings to the Weekly Squeak:

-- The squeak.org homepage always shows the most recent posts (and is in fact the leading source of inbound traffic to the site).

-- New posts are also tweeted to my Twitter feed @mykdavies on Twitter - I am a "low volume" tweeter, so I won't fill your queue.

-- If you have a WordPress account, you can subscribe for email notifications from other WordPress blogs. I suppose it's possible to set up such an account using the list email address, but I suspect we would get occasional WordPress announcements coming to the list. If people are prepared to risk this, I would be happy to set this up.

Having said that though, I always enjoyed (the other) Michael's round up emails, and would be pleased to see them resume.

Thanks,
Michael

On 17 December 2010 10:13, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks -

For some strange reason I just noticed that there were various articles on http://news.squeak.org that I simply hadn't noticed yet. Is there a way to subscribe news.squeak.org to the list so that people can see new stuff instantly? I think our community would benefit greatly from having that direct link. The Smalltalks 2010, new tools, and Return of Connectors stuff was just *great*.

Cheers,
 - Andreas

Re: Shocked...

Simon Michael
Amplifying Janko's comment: this and every other readable squeakish thing thing with a rss/atom feed are aggregated at
http://planet.squeak.org (and friends), which in turn provide a feed you can point your reader at. planet.squeak.org
also announces new items on the #squeak channel.

Re: Shocked...

Michael Haupt-3

On 17 December 2010 17:57, Michael Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Having said that though, I always enjoyed (the other) Michael's round up
> emails, and would be pleased to see them resume.

there you are. ;-)

Best,

Michael