Short sounds on unix when 'stop sounds when done' preference enabled

Short sounds on unix when 'stop sounds when done' preference enabled

timrowledge
I’m having a lot of fun trying to work out where the playing of a short sound sample (in fact this one - https://copy.com/z2IWbaij3i4kuyUm) produces no sound output when the stop sounds when done’ option is set. Without that option the pop appears (if that is the right word for a sound), or if another sound is also playing at around the same time. Or if reverb is on.

This is specifically on a Pi, and I don’t have any way to test with any other unixy box. It is the same on my iMac - it sounds ok with reverb on (except for the reverb) but there is only silence with reverb off. Unless I turn off the 'stop playing when done’ option in which case no reverb is ok.

My best guess right now is that the sample is so short that something in the play loop is simply not ‘seeing’ the sample and that having reverb on makes it just long enough to get through. Who’s been playing in that particular sandbox recently? Any thoughts

tim
Cloister: a pretentious clam

Re: Short sounds on unix when 'stop sounds when done' preference enabled

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:47 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I’m having a lot of fun trying to work out where the playing of a short sound sample (in fact this one - https://copy.com/z2IWbaij3i4kuyUm) produces no sound output when the stop sounds when done’ option is set.

At about 1ms.

I researched this when I implemented the ability for a Magma server to
play a tone for the duration of each request processed.  Requests
shorter than 1ms are inaudible.

Re: Short sounds on unix when 'stop sounds when done' preference enabled

timrowledge

> On 11-01-2016, at 3:31 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:47 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I’m having a lot of fun trying to work out where the playing of a short sound sample (in fact this one - https://copy.com/z2IWbaij3i4kuyUm) produces no sound output when the stop sounds when done’ option is set.
>
> At about 1ms.
>
> I researched this when I implemented the ability for a Magma server to
> play a tone for the duration of each request processed.  Requests
> shorter than 1ms are inaudible.

Hmm. Well the pop is quite a bit longer than 1mS I guess but whatever is getting in the way may be the same.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BPB: Branch on Program Bug

Re: Short sounds on unix when 'stop sounds when done' preference enabled

Chris Muller-4
The only way I was able to accomplish a correct "picture" of the
timings was via a SoundQueue.