Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

timrowledge
I thought I'd broken something myself, but actually it appears that it is the Shout code colorater that did it; try selecting some code in a browser and cmd-- or cmd-=. It *should* underline or strikethrough but at best you might notice a little flash of some text change before Poof! gone. Do same in a Workspace and all is well.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est. = Yes, that is a very large amount of corn.

Re: Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

Frank Shearar-3
On 28 September 2013 03:00, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought I'd broken something myself, but actually it appears that it is the Shout code colorater that did it; try selecting some code in a browser and cmd-- or cmd-=. It *should* underline or strikethrough but at best you might notice a little flash of some text change before Poof! gone. Do same in a Workspace and all is well.

And if you switch on syntax highlighting in the Workspace you see the
poof-gone behaviour? (Because of course that would switch on Shout
highlighting.)

frank

On 28-09-2013, at 12:46 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28 September 2013 03:00, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I thought I'd broken something myself, but actually it appears that it is the Shout code colorater that did it; try selecting some code in a browser and cmd-- or cmd-=. It *should* underline or strikethrough but at best you might notice a little flash of some text change before Poof! gone. Do same in a Workspace and all is well.
>
> And if you switch on syntax highlighting in the Workspace you see the
> poof-gone behaviour? (Because of course that would switch on Shout
> highlighting.)

No idea; it never occurred to me that a Workspace could support syntax highlighting

tim
Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.

On 28 September 2013 19:10, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28-09-2013, at 12:46 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 28 September 2013 03:00, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I thought I'd broken something myself, but actually it appears that it is the Shout code colorater that did it; try selecting some code in a browser and cmd-- or cmd-=. It *should* underline or strikethrough but at best you might notice a little flash of some text change before Poof! gone. Do same in a Workspace and all is well.
>>
>> And if you switch on syntax highlighting in the Workspace you see the
>> poof-gone behaviour? (Because of course that would switch on Shout
>> highlighting.)
>
> No idea; it never occurred to me that a Workspace could support syntax highlighting

Oh ye of no love of highlighting! In the menu that says "change
title..." and check "syntax highlighting".

frank

> tim
> Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.

Re: Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

Jeff Gonis-2
You can also set it as a default for all future workspaces under the preference labelled "Shout styling in workspace"

Something to ponder might be setting this to true by default, but maybe my love of syntax highlighting has warped me...

On 28-09-2013, at 2:51 PM, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can also set it as a default for all future workspaces under the preference labelled "Shout styling in workspace"
>
> Something to ponder might be setting this to true by default, but maybe my love of syntax highlighting has warped me…

It must have. If anyone sets that on by default I will abuse my rank and order a drone strike.

tim
Useful random insult:- Only playing with 51 cards.

Re: Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 07:25:02PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 28-09-2013, at 2:51 PM, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You can also set it as a default for all future workspaces under the preference labelled "Shout styling in workspace"
> >
> > Something to ponder might be setting this to true by default, but maybe my love of syntax highlighting has warped me?
>
> It must have. If anyone sets that on by default I will abuse my rank and order a drone strike.

And I will agree to pretend that it was morally justified. Which in this case might actually be so ;-)

I use workspaces for all sorts of things unrelated to "coding". But perhaps some creative
person could come up with a convenient way to apply syntax highlighting to specific portions
of a workspace? It might be nice if I could have a workspace that contains my grocery shopping
list and does syntax highlighting on only the portions of the shopping list that I actually
intended to be interpreted as Smalltalk expressions. But I would be very annoyed if some of
my workspaces started giving syntax errors related to toothpaste, toilet paper, and six-packs
of beer.

Or perhaps a smart workspace could distinguish the difference between sections of text
that were probably intended as Smalltalk, versus text that was more likely intended as
a shopping list?

Dave

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It seems to me like Squeak just needs some different tools.  A workspace strikes me as specifically related to code.  I mean the right click menu mentions inspecting, debugging, printing, etc. All things that have as little relevance to your grocery list as syntax highlighting would.

If you need a quick grocery list, why don't we knock up a "Todo" list app, throw it on Squeakmap, and have install a menu entry when you load it.

We could grab Cuis' text editor project, and throw it up on Squeakmap, and now people who wanted to write up a quick message or blog post wouldn't have to abuse what is clearly a code tool.

Rather than trying to overload what a workspace recognizes as text or code, we could just add tools more suited to the work you want while making the workspace more suited to the job it was designed for. Coding.

Note that my tone is somewhat provocative here, deliberately so, but hey you guys started it, what with your drone strikes and all!

Re: Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

Nicolas Cellier
Bah, why don't you write self buy: 6 packsOfBeers ;)

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 10:05:52PM -0600, Jeff Gonis wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > And I will agree to pretend that it was morally justified. Which in this
> > case might actually be so ;-)
> >
> > I use workspaces for all sorts of things unrelated to "coding". But
> > perhaps some creative
> > person could come up with a convenient way to apply syntax highlighting to
> > specific portions
> > of a workspace? It might be nice if I could have a workspace that contains
> > my grocery shopping
> > list and does syntax highlighting on only the portions of the shopping
> > list that I actually
> > intended to be interpreted as Smalltalk expressions. But I would be very
> > annoyed if some of
> > my workspaces started giving syntax errors related to toothpaste, toilet
> > paper, and six-packs
> > of beer.
> >
> > Or perhaps a smart workspace could distinguish the difference between
> > sections of text
> > that were probably intended as Smalltalk, versus text that was more likely
> > intended as
> > a shopping list?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> It seems to me like Squeak just needs some different tools.  A workspace
> strikes me as specifically related to code.  I mean the right click menu
> mentions inspecting, debugging, printing, etc. All things that have as
> little relevance to your grocery list as syntax highlighting would.
>
> If you need a quick grocery list, why don't we knock up a "Todo" list app,
> throw it on Squeakmap, and have install a menu entry when you load it.

I don't want a "todo" list app, or any other kind of app. I want a neutral
workspace. I want the workspace to let me do whatever I want without complaining.

> We could grab Cuis' text editor project, and throw it up on Squeakmap, and
> now people who wanted to write up a quick message or blog post wouldn't
> have to abuse what is clearly a code tool.
>
> Rather than trying to overload what a workspace recognizes as text or code,
> we could just add tools more suited to the work you want while making the
> workspace more suited to the job it was designed for. Coding.
>
> Note that my tone is somewhat provocative here, deliberately so, but hey
> you guys started it, what with your drone strikes and all!

FWIW, your have certainly made me think twice about this. I can think of
times that I have written (too much) code in workspaces, and I did not
think to turn on the syntax highlighting. If I had remembered to do that,
I would have saved myself some time in debugging. So I do think that you
raise a fair point. My own point of view is different (I prefer workspaces
to be neutral unless I set them otherwise), but I see your point.

Dave

Re: Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

Chris Muller-3
Why not just define a class called MyWorkspace and you'll have a
"workspace tool" that can have multiple "named" workspaces (the
class-side method names) and even let you Compose Methods (call those
workspaces, by name, from other workspaces).  Syntax highlighting is
on by default in said browser.  Did I mention these workspaces can be
verisoned with full SCM capability?  :)

Workspace is not a CodeHolder.

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> And I will agree to pretend that it was morally justified. Which in this
>> case might actually be so ;-)
>>
>> I use workspaces for all sorts of things unrelated to "coding". But
>> perhaps some creative
>> person could come up with a convenient way to apply syntax highlighting to
>> specific portions
>> of a workspace? It might be nice if I could have a workspace that contains
>> my grocery shopping
>> list and does syntax highlighting on only the portions of the shopping
>> list that I actually
>> intended to be interpreted as Smalltalk expressions. But I would be very
>> annoyed if some of
>> my workspaces started giving syntax errors related to toothpaste, toilet
>> paper, and six-packs
>> of beer.
>>
>> Or perhaps a smart workspace could distinguish the difference between
>> sections of text
>> that were probably intended as Smalltalk, versus text that was more likely
>> intended as
>> a shopping list?
>>
>> Dave
>>

> It seems to me like Squeak just needs some different tools.  A workspace
> strikes me as specifically related to code.  I mean the right click menu
> mentions inspecting, debugging, printing, etc. All things that have as
> little relevance to your grocery list as syntax highlighting would.
>
> If you need a quick grocery list, why don't we knock up a "Todo" list app,
> throw it on Squeakmap, and have install a menu entry when you load it.
>
> We could grab Cuis' text editor project, and throw it up on Squeakmap, and
> now people who wanted to write up a quick message or blog post wouldn't have
> to abuse what is clearly a code tool.
>
> Rather than trying to overload what a workspace recognizes as text or code,
> we could just add tools more suited to the work you want while making the
> workspace more suited to the job it was designed for. Coding.
>
> Note that my tone is somewhat provocative here, deliberately so, but hey you
> guys started it, what with your drone strikes and all!

Re: Shout appears to remove underline and strikethrough emphasis

Bob Arning-2
+1

I've always wondered why people tried to put so much code in a workspace where it remains anonymous and is so easily misplaced.

Cheers,
Bob