Showing hands

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

did you know the implementation of HandMorph >> #visible:?

visible: aBoolean

self needsToBeDrawn ifFalse: [ ^self ].

super visible: aBoolean

This is just bothering me as I am trying to hide my hand before I attach some morph to it, so it does not yet need to be drawn.

Is this logic anywhere in use?

I already have played with #needsToBeDrawn in the past (remember XmasDecorations? ;)), and it should be a protocol between WorldState and HandMorph, only. But I cannot find any affected sender of #visible: in WorldState; the only one is #restoreMorphicDisplay which does not relate to #needsToBeDrawn as far as I can see.

Do you think we can nuke this override?

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Showing hands

Karl Ramberg
I have vague memories messing with this code and I found it really tricky.

I tried to fix some issues with the GrabPatch and Lasso in the ObjectsTool and didn't really succeed.
Those tools are kind of both cursor and 'image you drag' and the result was never optimal.

Best,
Karl

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 8:52 PM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

If you comment out "self needsToBeDrawn ifFalse: [ ^self ]", accespt and then reverting the change you will still have a broken HandMorph.
Anything you pick up will be invisible. I can't remember the cause for this.

Best,
Karl