Shrinking

12

Re: Shrinking

Hannes Hirzel
Colin

at the start of this thread (6th January)
you said that you do

    Smalltalk shrinkAndCleanDesktop

and later and after some fixes (to the image and/or the trunk?) you
report that the resulting image is below 10MB.

As of now is

   Smalltalk shrinkAndCleanDesktop

all that I need to do or do I need to issue other commands?

Regards
--Hannes

On 1/10/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/9/14, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 9 January 2014 17:33, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Se also Pavel Krivaneks changes;
>>> http://forum.world.st/SqueakCore-td4661356.html
>>
>> I haven't had time to complete the job, but a lot of the recent work
>> around shrinking, unloading and the like pretty much came either from
>> me rediscovering Pavel's tricks, or me copying Pavel's tricks over to
>> the image.
>>
>> frank
>
> Excellent, thank you all and in particular, you, Frank.
>
> Hannes

Re: Shrinking

Edgar De Cleene

On 1/9/14 3:07 PM, "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 January 2014 17:33, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Se also Pavel Krivaneks changes;
>> http://forum.world.st/SqueakCore-td4661356.html
>
> I haven't had time to complete the job, but a lot of the recent work
> around shrinking, unloading and the like pretty much came either from
> me rediscovering Pavel's tricks, or me copying Pavel's tricks over to
> the image.
>
> frank

I always wish Pavel work was taked into Squeak, but we have a champion
shrink image and is Cuis reduced.

You could have a 2 mb .image Morphic enabled.

>> Cheers,
>> Karl

>>> Nice! That shaved off another 700K, and brought the final shrink below
>>> 10MB.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Re: Shrinking

Colin Putney-3

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 3:52 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Colin

at the start of this thread (6th January)
you said that you do

    Smalltalk shrinkAndCleanDesktop

and later and after some fixes (to the image and/or the trunk?) you
report that the resulting image is below 10MB.

As of now is

   Smalltalk shrinkAndCleanDesktop

all that I need to do or do I need to issue other commands?

No. I started with that, but it doesn't quite work, so I extracted it into a script. I've been tweaking the script to fix issues as they come up, and to customize the shrink to the needs of my project. I'm pushing generally useful fixes back into trunk, but it's not completely done yet.

I'm also finding that every time I update to a new trunk image from build.squeak.org, I run into new issues. :-)

Colin

Re: Shrinking

Frank Shearar-3
On 10 January 2014 14:38, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 3:52 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> at the start of this thread (6th January)
>> you said that you do
>>
>>     Smalltalk shrinkAndCleanDesktop
>>
>> and later and after some fixes (to the image and/or the trunk?) you
>> report that the resulting image is below 10MB.
>>
>> As of now is
>>
>>    Smalltalk shrinkAndCleanDesktop
>>
>> all that I need to do or do I need to issue other commands?
>

> No. I started with that, but it doesn't quite work, so I extracted it into a
> script. I've been tweaking the script to fix issues as they come up, and to
> customize the shrink to the needs of my project. I'm pushing generally
> useful fixes back into trunk, but it's not completely done yet.
>
> I'm also finding that every time I update to a new trunk image from
> build.squeak.org, I run into new issues. :-)

I'm hoping that's a good thing :/ Chris & I replaced the base CI
image, by the way. So at least your starting point nowadays will have
clean packages (even if it's not semi-pre-slimmed). I'll take another
run at the the minimal-base-image-rehydrated-on-CI approach in the 4.6
cycle.

frank

> Colin

Re: Shrinking

Chris Muller-3
> I'm hoping that's a good thing :/ Chris & I replaced the base CI
> image, by the way. So at least your starting point nowadays will have
> clean packages (even if it's not semi-pre-slimmed). I'll take another
> run at the the minimal-base-image-rehydrated-on-CI approach in the 4.6
> cycle.

Ah, good idea.  For 4.5, let's let the final deployment image to be
one which has never undergone a shrink / rehydration.  If we want to
risk that for 4.6 release then put out our *second* 4.6 alpha image be
one of those rehydrated so it can endure a full release-cycle of
testing including under our personal projects.

12