Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Simple question about objects, headers and sizes

melkyades

Hi, I'm investigating the format of objects in memory. After some time I got this conclusions/questions I'd like to know more about:

- Oops must be at least 16 bits aligned, because of SmallIntegers tagging, is that right?
- Raw object sizes are 32 bits aligned, because of size field in header which is in 32 bits words. So that for byte indexed instances there may be at most 3 wasted bytes (format field in that case tell the amount not used of the last 4 bytes). Is that the way that the VM assures the alignment of the oops?
- And the last one and the most puzzling for me: how does objectAfter: anOop work? I mean, for what I see, it returns the addition of anOop and the size of the object pointed by anOop, but how can it be sure that that is the base header and not the size or class field of the extended header?

Thanks!
          Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Simple question about objects, headers and sizes

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, I'm investigating the format of objects in memory. After some time I got this conclusions/questions I'd like to know more about:

- Oops must be at least 16 bits aligned, because of SmallIntegers tagging, is that right?

Aren't they 31 bits? There is only one tag bit.
SmallInteger maxVal = 1073741823
(2 raisedTo: 30) - 1 1073741823
30 because there is another bit for the sign I think.

- Raw object sizes are 32 bits aligned, because of size field in header which is in 32 bits words. So that for byte indexed instances there may be at most 3 wasted bytes (format field in that case tell the amount not used of the last 4 bytes).

Yes, for example 'a', 'bb', 'ccc' and 'dddd' they all occupy 4 bytes in the VM (we discuss about that recently in the thread of Fuel I think). The VM knows how much are really used by accessing the "size" value in the object header.

Is that the way that the VM assures the alignment of the oops?
- And the last one and the most puzzling for me: how does objectAfter: anOop work? I mean, for what I see, it returns the addition of anOop and the size of the object pointed by anOop, but how can it be sure that that is the base header and not the size or class field of the extended header?

I am not sure if I understood. #objectAfter:  uses #sizeBitsOf:

sizeBitsOf: oop
    "Answer the number of bytes in the given object, including its base header, rounded up to an integral number of words."
    "Note: byte indexable objects need to have low bits subtracted from this size."

| header |
    header := self baseHeader: oop.
    (header bitAnd: TypeMask) = HeaderTypeSizeAndClass
        ifTrue: [ ^ (self sizeHeader: oop) bitAnd: LongSizeMask ]
        ifFalse: [ ^ header bitAnd: SizeMask ].

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

melkyades

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:

Aren't they 31 bits? There is only one tag bit.
SmallInteger maxVal = 1073741823
(2 raisedTo: 30) - 1 1073741823
30 because there is another bit for the sign I think.

- Raw object sizes are 32 bits aligned, because of size field in header which is in 32 bits words. So that for byte indexed instances there may be at most 3 wasted bytes (format field in that case tell the amount not used of the last 4 bytes).

Yes, for example 'a', 'bb', 'ccc' and 'dddd' they all occupy 4 bytes in the VM (we discuss about that recently in the thread of Fuel I think). The VM knows how much are really used by accessing the "size" value in the object header.

Is that the way that the VM assures the alignment of the oops?

I am not sure if I understood. #objectAfter:  uses #sizeBitsOf:

sizeBitsOf: oop
    "Answer the number of bytes in the given object, including its base header, rounded up to an integral number of words."
    "Note: byte indexable objects need to have low bits subtracted from this size."

| header |
    header := self baseHeader: oop.
    (header bitAnd: TypeMask) = HeaderTypeSizeAndClass
        ifTrue: [ ^ (self sizeHeader: oop) bitAnd: LongSizeMask ]
        ifFalse: [ ^ header bitAnd: SizeMask ].

Then suppose you have a point. Its size is 12 bytes (1 for header, 1 for x and 1 for y). Now after the point there is a not compact class (with 1 int extra header). When you ask objectAfter: thePoint, it will calculate first something like

chunkOop := thePoint + thePoint size

which is thePoint + 12. That is not the actual oop but the extra header, then it returns:

^self oopFromChunk: chunkOop.

So that would imply the extra header has also two type bits, right? But then what happens to the penultimate bit of the oop? Finally, can we assume all header fields have this type field? A better question would be, what is the bit format of the extra header?

Thanks again!
                   Javier.

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg

On 06.06.2011, at 08:46, Javier Pimás wrote:

>  A better question would be, what is the bit format of the extra header?

See the class comment for ObjectMemory:

"If a class is in the compact class table, then this is the only header information needed.  If it is not, then it will have another header word at offset -4 bytes with its class in the high 30 bits, and the header type repeated in its low 2 bits.  It the objects size is greater than 255 bytes, then it will have yet another header word at offset -8 bytes with its full word size in the high 30 bits and its header type repeated in the low two bits."

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

melkyades

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know!

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 06.06.2011, at 08:46, Javier Pimás wrote:

>  A better question would be, what is the bit format of the extra header?

See the class comment for ObjectMemory:

"If a class is in the compact class table, then this is the only header information needed.  If it is not, then it will have another header word at offset -4 bytes with its class in the high 30 bits, and the header type repeated in its low 2 bits.  It the objects size is greater than 255 bytes, then it will have yet another header word at offset -8 bytes with its full word size in the high 30 bits and its header type repeated in the low two bits."

- Bert -

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires