SimpleMIDIPort deficiencies

dabrowsa@indiana.edu
I'm starting to realize why it's called "simple".  It doesn't support
any control messages, including velocity.  I tried to play a file that
had volume information, and instead of setting the volume levels as
indicated it /muted/ all the channels.

Is anyone working on improvements?  I might be interested in helping,
but I'm not really a programmer.

dabrowsa.vcf (222 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: SimpleMIDIPort deficiencies

Stephen Travis Pope

Siren supports a full-function MIDI port object, and an earlier version of it ran on Squeak (v3). It should be easy to port it back to the old Squeak primitives.

stp

--
   Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA

On May 17, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Andrew Dabrowski wrote:

I'm starting to realize why it's called "simple".  It doesn't support any control messages, including velocity.  I tried to play a file that had volume information, and instead of setting the volume levels as indicated it /muted/ all the channels.

Is anyone working on improvements?  I might be interested in helping, but I'm not really a programmer.
<dabrowsa.vcf>

Re: SimpleMIDIPort deficiencies

dabrowsa@indiana.edu
Have the difficulties with the linux version of Siren been fixed yet?
I'm anxious to give it another try.

Stephen Travis Pope wrote:

> Siren supports a full-function MIDI port object, and an earlier version
> of it ran on Squeak (v3). It should be easy to port it back to the old
> Squeak primitives.
>
> stp
>
> --
>    Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA
>    http://HeavenEverywhere.com     http://FASTLabInc.com
>

> On May 17, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Andrew Dabrowski wrote:
>
>> I'm starting to realize why it's called "simple".  It doesn't support
>> any control messages, including velocity.  I tried to play a file that
>> had volume information, and instead of setting the volume levels as
>> indicated it /muted/ all the channels.
>>
>> Is anyone working on improvements?  I might be interested in helping,
>> but I'm not really a programmer.
>> <dabrowsa.vcf>

dabrowsa.vcf (162 bytes) Download Attachment