Simply

Antero Salminen
Hi,
dbl-click program icon and no action.
in intelmac , only some VM? no ide?

I have no printer, but ...

AS

Re: Simply

Bert Freudenberg
On May 20, 2007, at 9:55 , Antero Salminen wrote:

> Hi,
> dbl-click program icon and no action.
> in intelmac , only some VM? no ide?

You need to drag the .image file onto the VM.

- Bert -

Re: Simply

Michael van der Gulik-3
Antero Salminen wrote:

> Hi,
> dbl-click program icon and no action.
> in intelmac , only some VM? no ide?
>
> I have no printer, but ...

Hello again Antero :-).

What is your native language? Finnish?

There's a lot of documentation on http://www.squeak.org/Documentation.
Many of the books there are still valid.

When you start up Squeak, normally you get a few windows on your screen
with information about the "image" you're using. All of Squeak can be
accessed from that - including the IDE. Is this what you're seeing? Try
clicking on the background.

Michael.

Re: Simply...

Antero Salminen
Hi,
thanks.
Any examples from databases. Where to dig. ?

Antero

Michael van der Gulik kirjoitti 20.5.2007 kello 13.25:

> Antero Salminen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> dbl-click program icon and no action.
>> in intelmac , only some VM? no ide?
>>
>> I have no printer, but ...
>
> Hello again Antero :-).
>
> What is your native language? Finnish?
>
> There's a lot of documentation on http://www.squeak.org/
> Documentation. Many of the books there are still valid.
>
> When you start up Squeak, normally you get a few windows on your
> screen with information about the "image" you're using. All of
> Squeak can be accessed from that - including the IDE. Is this what
> you're seeing? Try clicking on the background.
>
> Michael.

Re: Simply...

Michael van der Gulik-3

> Michael van der Gulik kirjoitti 20.5.2007 kello 13.25:
>
>> Antero Salminen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> dbl-click program icon and no action.
>>> in intelmac , only some VM? no ide?
>>>
>>> I have no printer, but ...
>>

>> Hello again Antero :-).
>>
>> What is your native language? Finnish?
>>
>> There's a lot of documentation on http://www.squeak.org/
>> Documentation. Many of the books there are still valid.
>>
>> When you start up Squeak, normally you get a few windows on your
>> screen with information about the "image" you're using. All of
>> Squeak can be accessed from that - including the IDE. Is this what
>> you're seeing? Try clicking on the background.
>>
>> Michael.
>

> Antero Salminen wrote: Hi,
> thanks.
> Any examples from databases. Where to dig. ?

I would use Google; use "site:wiki.squeak.org" or
"site:lists.squeakfoundation.org" in your queries and look for the
keywords: "Magma", "GOODS", "MySQL", "PostgreSQL", "ODBC", "SQL" etc.

However, I'd learn to walk before you start running! Spend some time
learning how to program in Squeak before trying to do complicated things
like accessing databases.

Michael.

Mophic scripts tiles vs textual code

bravo12
Hi.

I am writing some simple morphic scripts.  It would be convenient to
use smalltalk directly, so I toggle the script to directly enter the
code.  But I am having problems, as it is not working.  If I uses
tiles to create a script and then toggle over to text mode, the
script looks like this for script "showa":

showa
        self setX: PolyZb getX.
        self setY: PolyZb getY.
        self setHeading: PolyZb getHeading.
        PolyZb hide.
        self show

I think when I type the script in directly it doesn't know how to
reference PolyZb (a polygon object I created).  Any help?  How does
this translation between morph object's name and the internal
SmallTalk name happen?

dhs

David H. Shanabrook
[hidden email]
256-1019 (afternoons)
362.1323 (mornings)

On 21 May 2007, at 07:12, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

>> Michael van der Gulik kirjoitti 20.5.2007 kello 13.25:

>>> Hello again Antero :-).
>>>
>>> What is your native language? Finnish?
>>>
>>> There's a lot of documentation on http://www.squeak.org/
>>> Documentation. Many of the books there are still valid.
>>>
>>> When you start up Squeak, normally you get a few windows on your
>>> screen with information about the "image" you're using. All of
>>> Squeak can be accessed from that - including the IDE. Is this
>>> what  you're seeing? Try clicking on the background.
>>>
>>> Michael.
>>

>> Antero Salminen wrote: Hi,
>> thanks.
>> Any examples from databases. Where to dig. ?
>

> I would use Google; use "site:wiki.squeak.org" or
> "site:lists.squeakfoundation.org" in your queries and look for the
> keywords: "Magma", "GOODS", "MySQL", "PostgreSQL", "ODBC", "SQL" etc.
>
> However, I'd learn to walk before you start running! Spend some
> time learning how to program in Squeak before trying to do
> complicated things like accessing databases.
>
> Michael.

Re: Mophic scripts tiles vs textual code

Bert Freudenberg
On Jun 3, 2007, at 19:50 , David H. Shanabrook wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am writing some simple morphic scripts.  It would be convenient
> to use smalltalk directly, so I toggle the script to directly enter
> the code.  But I am having problems, as it is not working.  If I
> uses tiles to create a script and then toggle over to text mode,
> the script looks like this for script "showa":
>
> showa
> self setX: PolyZb getX.
> self setY: PolyZb getY.
> self setHeading: PolyZb getHeading.
> PolyZb hide.
> self show
>
> I think when I type the script in directly it doesn't know how to
> reference PolyZb (a polygon object I created).

You need to reference an object at least once in another object's
tile script to make it "known" to the scripting system (*). After
that, you can just type the name.

> Any help?  How does this translation between morph object's name
> and the internal SmallTalk name happen?

It's "Smalltalk", btw., with a lower-case "t".

- Bert -

(*) More precisely, #uniqueNameForReference must have been sent to
the object to put it into the global registry named "References".

Re: Mophic scripts tiles vs textual code

bravo12
Thanks, this worked and helped.

So to extend this, and help my understanding, how do I refer to a
morph in a workspace?  If I named the morph polyB, and I do something
like "hide PolyB" in the workspace it asks about PolyB.

On 3 Jun 2007, at 14:26, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2007, at 19:50 , David H. Shanabrook wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am writing some simple morphic scripts.  It would be convenient
>> to use smalltalk directly, so I toggle the script to directly
>> enter the code.  But I am having problems, as it is not working.
>> If I uses tiles to create a script and then toggle over to text
>> mode, the script looks like this for script "showa":
>>
>> showa
>> self setX: PolyZb getX.
>> self setY: PolyZb getY.
>> self setHeading: PolyZb getHeading.
>> PolyZb hide.
>> self show
>>
>> I think when I type the script in directly it doesn't know how to
>> reference PolyZb (a polygon object I created).
>
> You need to reference an object at least once in another object's
> tile script to make it "known" to the scripting system (*). After
> that, you can just type the name.
>
>> Any help?  How does this translation between morph object's name
>> and the internal SmallTalk name happen?
>
> It's "Smalltalk", btw., with a lower-case "t".
>
> - Bert -
>
> (*) More precisely, #uniqueNameForReference must have been sent to
> the object to put it into the global registry named "References".

Re: Mophic scripts tiles vs textual code

Bert Freudenberg
Etoys is a layer on top of Smalltalk, so in most cases you can
(unfortunately) not use the regular Smalltalk coding tools directly.
OTOH, it's Smalltalk after all so of course you *can* access
everything ;)

Also, the way you phrased it, it seems you may have missed the
distinction between the the "player" which is the object that gets
scripted, and the "morph" which is its costume. That distinction is
not relevant to Etoys users but important if you do Smalltalk.

The simplest thing to reference the *player*, the equivalent to
"PolyB" in a textual scriptor, is

        References at: #PolyB

To get at the *morph*, use

        (References at: #PolyB) costume

Now that only works for morphs that actually *have* a player, that
is, the morphs that are scripted.

To reference any morph (and we're leaving the Etoys world with this)
is to enable the "create textual references to dropped morphs" option
in the Workspace's menu next to its close button.

- Bert -

On Jun 4, 2007, at 12:51 , David H. Shanabrook wrote:

> Thanks, this worked and helped.
>
> So to extend this, and help my understanding, how do I refer to a
> morph in a workspace?  If I named the morph polyB, and I do
> something like "hide PolyB" in the workspace it asks about PolyB.
>

> On 3 Jun 2007, at 14:26, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On Jun 3, 2007, at 19:50 , David H. Shanabrook wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I am writing some simple morphic scripts.  It would be convenient
>>> to use smalltalk directly, so I toggle the script to directly
>>> enter the code.  But I am having problems, as it is not working.
>>> If I uses tiles to create a script and then toggle over to text
>>> mode, the script looks like this for script "showa":
>>>
>>> showa
>>> self setX: PolyZb getX.
>>> self setY: PolyZb getY.
>>> self setHeading: PolyZb getHeading.
>>> PolyZb hide.
>>> self show
>>>
>>> I think when I type the script in directly it doesn't know how to
>>> reference PolyZb (a polygon object I created).
>>
>> You need to reference an object at least once in another object's
>> tile script to make it "known" to the scripting system (*). After
>> that, you can just type the name.
>>
>>> Any help?  How does this translation between morph object's name
>>> and the internal SmallTalk name happen?
>>
>> It's "Smalltalk", btw., with a lower-case "t".
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
>> (*) More precisely, #uniqueNameForReference must have been sent to
>> the object to put it into the global registry named "References".

Re: Mophic scripts tiles vs textual code

bravo12
This is getting clearer. So would a better approach be to add a
method for this class?  Would I add a method for PasteUpMorph such as
showa: polyb.  Looking at the following script, showa method would
show self, and hide the argument polyb?  Then when writing the morph
code I can refer to this new method?

On 4 Jun 2007, at 07:10, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Etoys is a layer on top of Smalltalk, so in most cases you can
> (unfortunately) not use the regular Smalltalk coding tools
> directly. OTOH, it's Smalltalk after all so of course you *can*
> access everything ;)
>
> Also, the way you phrased it, it seems you may have missed the
> distinction between the the "player" which is the object that gets
> scripted, and the "morph" which is its costume. That distinction is
> not relevant to Etoys users but important if you do Smalltalk.
>
> The simplest thing to reference the *player*, the equivalent to
> "PolyB" in a textual scriptor, is
>
> References at: #PolyB
>
> To get at the *morph*, use
>
> (References at: #PolyB) costume
>
> Now that only works for morphs that actually *have* a player, that
> is, the morphs that are scripted.
>
> To reference any morph (and we're leaving the Etoys world with
> this) is to enable the "create textual references to dropped
> morphs" option in the Workspace's menu next to its close button.
>
> - Bert -
>
> On Jun 4, 2007, at 12:51 , David H. Shanabrook wrote:
>
>> Thanks, this worked and helped.
>>
>> So to extend this, and help my understanding, how do I refer to a
>> morph in a workspace?  If I named the morph polyB, and I do
>> something like "hide PolyB" in the workspace it asks about PolyB.

>>> You need to reference an object at least once in another object's
>>> tile script to make it "known" to the scripting system (*). After
>>> that, you can just type the name.

>>> It's "Smalltalk", btw., with a lower-case "t".
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>
>>> (*) More precisely, #uniqueNameForReference must have been sent
>>> to the object to put it into the global registry named "References".

Re: Mophic scripts tiles vs textual code

K. K. Subramaniam
On Monday 04 June 2007 4:40 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Now that only works for morphs that actually *have* a player, that
> is, the morphs that are scripted.
I noticed that the 'debug' button has new entries for player the moment I open
a player on that morph, even before I start creating scripts. Is it because
the action tiles (like make sound) are really scripts?

> To reference any morph (and we're leaving the Etoys world with this)
> is to enable the "create textual references to dropped morphs" option
> in the Workspace's menu next to its close button.
What a hidden gem! BTW, what are the numbers suffixing the name? Are they
related to its oop?

Regards .. Subbu

On Jun 4, 2007, at 16:47 , subbukk wrote:

> On Monday 04 June 2007 4:40 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Now that only works for morphs that actually *have* a player, that
>> is, the morphs that are scripted.
> I noticed that the 'debug' button has new entries for player the
> moment I open
> a player on that morph, even before I start creating scripts. Is it
> because
> the action tiles (like make sound) are really scripts?

No, an "UnscriptedPlayer" is created on the fly if you ask a morph
for its #assuredPlayer, which is used to construct the viewer. As
soon as you add a script it becomes an actual Player.

So my wording was incorrect, there are unscripted players, too.

>> To reference any morph (and we're leaving the Etoys world with this)
>> is to enable the "create textual references to dropped morphs" option
>> in the Workspace's menu next to its close button.
> What a hidden gem! BTW, what are the numbers suffixing the name?
> Are they
> related to its oop?

Not directly, it's the object's identityHash. Due to Squeak's direct-
pointer object model, the oop changes on GC, while the identityHash
does not. It's stored in the object header, unfortunately with 12
bits only due to size constraints. Historically (when there still was
an object table) I believe this actually has been the object's oop
(the primitive is still named primitiveAsOop).

- Bert -

Re: Mophic scripts tiles vs textual code

Bert Freudenberg
I'm not sure what exactly you want to achieve. "adding a method to a
class" is how you approach things in Smalltalk. "Scripting an object"
is what you do in Etoys. These two do not go well together, you have
to choose. Etoys tile scripting is *not* an introduction to Morphic
programming. It's a different world.

- Bert -