Simulator Question

Gabriel Hernán Barbuto

Hi

I've been trying to run the simulator. I've been able to run the
StackInterpreterSimulator. But I need to run the pre-Cog VM simulator.
Does anyone know if it's working? Can anyone point me to anything that
explains how to run it?

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

Re: Simulator Question

David T. Lewis

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 01:16:57PM +0100, Gabriel Hern?n Barbuto wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been trying to run the simulator. I've been able to run the
> StackInterpreterSimulator. But I need to run the pre-Cog VM simulator.
> Does anyone know if it's working? Can anyone point me to anything that
> explains how to run it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gabriel

The only documentation that I can remember seeing is the class comment
of InterpreterSimulator, which says:

  This class defines basic memory access and primitive simulation so that
  the Interpreter can run simulated in the Squeak environment.  It also
  defines a number of handy object viewing methods to facilitate pawing
  around in the object memory.

  To see the thing actually run, you could (after backing up this image
  and changes), execute

  (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: Smalltalk imageName) test

  and be patient both to wait for things to happen, and to accept various
  things that may go wrong depending on how large or unusual your image
  may be.  We usually do this with a small and simple benchmark image.
  You will probably have more luck using InterpreteSimulatorLSB or
  InterpreterSimulatorMSB as befits your machine.

I'm no expert here, but stepping through the above in a debugger is
enough to get you started.

Dave

Re: Simulator Question

Gabriel Hernán Barbuto

Thank you very much Dave for your answer. I am new to this, and I need
to figure out why an image is not loading.

I will try this. The other thing that I am trying is building a VM and
debug to see why it hangs while loading the image.

Best regards
Gabriel