Siren installation

dabrowsa@indiana.edu
I'm trying to install Siren in VisualWorks 7.5.  The trouble is, I'm not
only new to Siren, but also new to VW.  So I'm stuck at the very
beginning, at installation.

The instuctions on the Siren website have the following.

> To build Siren, you start with a 7.5 VisualWorks Smalltalk virtual
> image and load the following packages from the release file set,
>     Store/PostgreSQL
>     BOSS
>     DLLCC
>     Advanced Tools
>     HTTP
>     XMLTools
>     ComposedTextEditor
I presume this mans that the PostgreSQL package is not in the
Siren7.5.zip download, but should be installed from the VW store
server.  I did that successfully.

But for BOSS: is there supposed to be a BOSS package in the Siren7.5.zip
download, or am I supposed to get BOSS from the VW store?  I don't see
any BOSS package in the Siren7.5 directories, but maybe I just don't
know where to look.  At the VW store the only BOSS package I see is
"BOSSClassMappings".  Is that what I should load?

dabrowsa.vcf (222 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Siren installation

Stephen Travis Pope

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm on a concert tour in China at the
moment.

To answer your question, yes, BOSS and all the other packages mentioned in
the build script are parts of the VW release (i.e., they're on the VW
CD-ROM and are loaded using the package manager, not in the Siren ZIP
file), or are on the Cincom Store site. Take a look at Arden's script
(attached).

You don't have to build the image from scratch, though; the Siren ZIP file
has a pre-configured VW virtual image (Siren7.5.{im,cha}) that ought to
work for you out of the box.

stp

--
   Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA
   http://HeavenEverywhere.com     http://FASTLabInc.com

On May 31, 2007, at 9:09 AM, Andrew Dabrowski wrote:

I'm trying to install Siren in VisualWorks 7.5.  The trouble is, I'm not
only new to Siren, but also new to VW.  So I'm stuck at the very
beginning, at installation.

The instructions on the Siren website have the following.

[...]

build_siren.st (3K) Download Attachment