Siren midi/osc set-up

christopher melen
Hi Stephen,

First just to say that from what I've seen so far
Siren looks to be a fantastic environment. However I
have two (probably quite basic) questions -

(1) With regard to customizing the SirenUtility class
initialize method, precisely which parts should I
edit? I'm assuming that in fields like -

        self addDir: 'Scores' to: SoundDir.
        self addDir: 'Mid' to: SoundDir.

I should enter my own paths in place of 'Scores' and
'Mid'?

(2) I've installed on WinXP and Mac OS X, but with the
latter I get a default (and rather unpleasant for the
eyes!) blue colour with every window. Perhaps it's a
more general problem with my installation of
VisualWorks - I just installed the basic system from
files on that machine as it doesn't have a network
connection. Any suggestions?

Best,
Chris
http://www.melen.co.uk

Re: Siren midi/osc set-up

Stephen Travis Pope

On Oct 13, 2007, at 1:41 PM, christopher melen wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> First just to say that from what I've seen so far
> Siren looks to be a fantastic environment. However I
> have two (probably quite basic) questions -
>
> (1) With regard to customizing the SirenUtility class
> initialize method, precisely which parts should I
> edit? I'm assuming that in fields like -
>
> self addDir: 'Scores' to: SoundDir.
> self addDir: 'Mid' to: SoundDir.
>
> I should enter my own paths in place of 'Scores' and
> 'Mid'?
Yes, the lines like
                                                                "Add your own user-specific stuff here"
        self addDir: '/Content/Sound/*' to: SoundDir. "NB: you can add using
wildcards"
        self addDir: '/Content/Scores/*' to: ScoreDir.
        self addDir: '3-Credo/*' to: SoundDir.
        self addDir: 'MKGandhi/Data' to: SoundDir.

are user-specific. If you want Siren to automatically find your sound/
score files, add the folders here.

> (2) I've installed on WinXP and Mac OS X, but with the
> latter I get a default (and rather unpleasant for the
> eyes!) blue colour with every window. Perhaps it's a
> more general problem with my installation of
> VisualWorks - I just installed the basic system from
> files on that machine as it doesn't have a network
> connection. Any suggestions?

Check out the files in the STP_GUI folder of the Siren7.5 ZIP file,
esp. MotifWidgetPolicy-initializeDefaultGenericColors.st

I set a few things like scroll-bar location and screen colors that
you're invited to override.

stp

--
    Stephen Travis Pope  --  Santa Barbara, California, USA
    http://HeavenEverywhere.com     http://FASTLabInc.com

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment