Slashdot Submission

12

Slashdot Submission

horrido
Slashdot submission

I'm trying to get my TechBeacon article on Slashdot. If I'm successful, this could be the BIGGEST win in my Smalltalk campaign, my Battle of Austerlitz.

Please, please, please, upvote the submission. Slashdot has to be convinced to publish my story and they look at the number of upvotes.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Slashdot Submission

kilon.alios

Done ! :)

Στις Τετ, 28 Δεκ 2016 - 02:54 ο χρήστης horrido <[hidden email]> έγραψε:
Slashdot submission
<https://slashdot.org/submission/6609431/techbeacon-article-is-making-a-breakthrough-in-smalltalk-advocacy>

<https://www.britannica.com/event/Battle-of-Austerlitz>  .

Please, please, please, upvote the submission. Slashdot has to be convinced
to publish my story and *they look at the number of upvotes*.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Slashdot Submission

horrido
It would appear that my submission to Slashdot has been passed over. To my knowledge, it hasn't been posted.

It was out of date anyway. Today, my TechBeacon article surpassed 20,000 views...weeks ahead of schedule!

That's a lot of readers. I have no idea how many of them were convinced to give Smalltalk a shot, but I imagine it has to be more than a few. Maybe a couple of thousand? Maybe?

Re: Slashdot Submission

horrido
Holy Crap!!! My Slashdot submission was approved! Here it is on Slashdot:

https://developers.slashdot.org/story/16/12/31/0413250/can-learning-smalltalk-make-you-a-better-programmer

This pleases me greatly.

Re: Slashdot Submission

horrido
Wow! In just one day, the Slashdot story added another thousand pageviews to my TechBeacon article!

However, if you look at the comments, there's an awful lot of disdain for Smalltalk. It appears that Slashdot is inhabited by a lot of ignorant and opinionated programmers. I did not realize this.

I'm trying to respond to the negative comments, but it's getting overwhelming...

Re: Slashdot Submission

kilon.alios
If stupidity was a power the comment section went nuclear.

I lasted a minute reading the comment section , no idea what kind of radio active protection suit you are wearing to allow you the time to reply.

But I admire your patience.

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 at 15:22, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow! *In just one day*, the Slashdot story added another thousand pageviews
to my TechBeacon article!

However, if you look at the comments, there's an awful lot of disdain for
Smalltalk. It appears that Slashdot is inhabited by a lot of ignorant and
opinionated programmers. I did not realize this.

I'm trying to respond to the negative comments, but it's getting
overwhelming...

Re: Slashdot Submission

stepharong
Since people believe that new equals better, we market Pharo as new.
And Pharo is new and it will continue to improve so this is not even a lie
:)

There is a reason why we decided to go that road and avoid to always say
to people that we use a language
designed nearly 40 years ago.

But you can try :)

Stef

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 14:05:12 +0100, horrido <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wow! *In just one day*, the Slashdot story added another thousand
> pageviews
> to my TechBeacon article!
>
> However, if you look at the comments, there's an awful lot of disdain for
> Smalltalk. It appears that Slashdot is inhabited by a lot of ignorant and
> opinionated programmers. I did not realize this.
>
> I'm trying to respond to the negative comments, but it's getting
> overwhelming...

Re: Slashdot Submission

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Page views are a pretty bad metric about quality of conversation. I remember the XKCD comic about "someone is wrong on the Internet"[1] and I wonder if the energy should be put there, at all.

[1] https://www.xkcd.com/386/

In my case, some of my fellow programmers friends started with some friendly "bullying" about my choice of Smalltalk/Pharo, well also for my choice of fossil or anything not trendy or popular, and some of them joke about me being some kind of "cyberhypster" :-P. That was at the beginning, and instead of trying to convince them otherwise by talking I prefer to build and demo my Grafoscopio project in our hackerspace but with other people (journalist, students, philosophers, teachers) with the idea of data storytelling instead of programming. Now my fellow programmers friends show more interest (but I'm still a cyberhypster :-)).

Unfortunately, programmers culture is a pop/fashionist culture (with few exceptions), pressed by "market" and "delivering". And I don't say that you can not deliver of have a market with Smalltalk/Pharo, but going outside common culture requires a change in mindset that is not moved easily in Internet forums or popular articles. The reflexive thought & long talk format (ie blogs, medium) coupled with projects can provide a better place to invest energy.

Thanks for your efforts and I hope than that exploration provide you the leverage point where minimal force produce maximal change.

Cheers,

Offray

Ps: I didn't find a lot of comments in the original article on TechBeacon or Slashdot. Maybe I'm clicking the wrong link, but anyway, hope this helps.

On 01/01/17 11:37, Richard Eng wrote:
[...]

Quite true. The goal of my Smalltalk campaign has always been about marketing or "branding." The goal has been to get as many people as possible thinking and talking about Smalltalk. It's not so much about the quality of conversation as actually having a conversation at all. I explain here.

"...and instead of trying to convince them otherwise by talking I prefer to build and demo my Grafoscopio project in our hackerspace..."

Indeed, and on Twitter I've tried to demonstrate Smalltalk/Pharo's usefulness by referencing various stories, open source contributions, and achievements (via #MakeSmalltalkGreatAgain). To get people to even look at my Twitter feed, though, I have to make a splash in social media. I think I've done that, but it took a heck of a lot of effort. More than two years' worth. Hundreds of articles and posts on Medium, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Hacker News, Reddit, Quora. Frankly, I'm exhausted.

"Ps: I didn't find a lot of comments in the original article on TechBeacon or Slashdot."

I need to inform you guys about something. A few weeks ago, TechBeacon switched from using the Livefyre commenting system to Disqus. In the process, ALL previous article comments were lost. TechBeacon says they'll try to restore those comments, but I don't see how they can do it. These commenting systems work by using a network of users who post the comments. Are they going to transfer existing Livefyre users to Disqus???

My TechBeacon article had a lot of good and useful comments. Their loss is most unfortunate.

The voluminous Slashdot comments can be found at the bottom of the page: Slashdot story.

Re: Slashdot Submission

stepharong
On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 19:04:14 +0100, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Page views are a pretty bad metric about quality of conversation. I remember the XKCD comic about "someone is wrong on the Internet"[1] and I wonder if the energy should be put there, at all.

[1] https://www.xkcd.com/386/

In my case, some of my fellow programmers friends started with some friendly "bullying" about my choice of Smalltalk/Pharo, well also for my choice of fossil or anything not trendy or popular, and some of them joke about me being some kind of "cyberhypster" :-P. That was at the beginning, and instead of trying to convince them otherwise by talking I prefer to build and demo my Grafoscopio project in our hackerspace but with other people (journalist, students, philosophers, teachers) with the idea of data storytelling instead of programming. Now my fellow programmers friends show more interest (but I'm still a cyberhypster :-)).

I like your process and it is an excellent one because at the end you get

- an artefact
- credibility (even if you always have people telling you something)
- and even a community

I like this idea of data analyst and journalist. I was planning to read and port to Pharo the collective intelligence book but I got distracted by my kids and I wrote some chapters for my new books.
If you are interested by the collective intelligence book let me know (it took me some time to find it on torrent) I bought it but it still did not arrive to my place

May be I should also be a cyberhypster :) but I like to shave from time to time :)

Re: Slashdot Submission

stepharong

I tried that tack. I said Pharo is only 8 years old, but some people come back and tell me that Pharo is still essentially Smalltalk. It's hard for me to disagree.

Do not fight with such people.
You should not care about assholes.
Pharo is Pharo. Period.
Come to have fun with us building something whatever it is.

Re: Slashdot Submission

abergel
Hi Stef!

Which "Collective Intelligence" book are you referring to? Googling it gives me plenty of hits that are not really a book

Cheers
Alexandre

Le 1 janv. 2017 à 21:32, stepharong <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
May this one ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Factbook

Just guessing ;-)

> On 1 Jan 2017, at 22:06, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Stef!
>
> Which "Collective Intelligence" book are you referring to? Googling it gives me plenty of hits that are not really a book
>
> Cheers
> Alexandre
>
> Le 1 janv. 2017 à 21:32, stepharong <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 19:04:14 +0100, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Page views are a pretty bad metric about quality of conversation. I remember the XKCD comic about "someone is wrong on the Internet"[1] and I wonder if the energy should be put there, at all.
>> [1] https://www.xkcd.com/386/
>> In my case, some of my fellow programmers friends started with some friendly "bullying" about my choice of Smalltalk/Pharo, well also for my choice of fossil or anything not trendy or popular, and some of them joke about me being some kind of "cyberhypster" :-P. That was at the beginning, and instead of trying to convince them otherwise by talking I prefer to build and demo my Grafoscopio project in our hackerspace but with other people (journalist, students, philosophers, teachers) with the idea of data storytelling instead of programming. Now my fellow programmers friends show more interest (but I'm still a cyberhypster :-)).
>>
>> I like your process and it is an excellent one because at the end you get
>>
>> - an artefact
>> - credibility (even if you always have people telling you something)
>> - and even a community
>>
>> I like this idea of data analyst and journalist. I was planning to read and port to Pharo the collective intelligence book but I got distracted by my kids and I wrote some chapters for my new books.
>> If you are interested by the collective intelligence book let me know (it took me some time to find it on torrent) I bought it but it still did not arrive to my place
>>
>> May be I should also be a cyberhypster :) but I like to shave from time to time :)
>>
>> Stef

Re: Slashdot Submission

kilon.alios
Sorry Stef it will never happen.

The issue here is not that Pharo is Smalltalk , the problem here is that you promote something that is too good to be true.

Coders live in a denial state for decades now . The denial is about not wanting to recognize that even my hardware is 10000 times better in processing power and more than 50000 better in storage , the software is barely 10 times better than my first computer 30 years ago.

Software is anchored in Stone Age for decades now and is not even a secret.

This was one of the big reasons I decided to not become a pro coder and this is decades before being introduced to lisp and Smalltalk.

The success of Pharo depends on people being open minded scientists but coding is nothing more than a closed minded religion masquareding as a science.

Web developers being the worst, especially web dev bloggers.

There is a reason why every single well designed software is highly unpopular.

Fortunately there are exceptions like Pharo that have reignited my hope in investing in professional coding. Most of all open source have made it easy for that software to reach a bigger crowd.

This is enough for me not to care.

People were laughing at my face when I was saying that Blender will become one of the top three 3D apps , something unheard of for open source a decade ago. People were laughing at my face when iPad was released when I said that it will be a tool used by professional that will replace laptops . People were laughing at my face when Apple announced that it would no longer support flash and I said that this marked the end of flash . And so on.

So I now code and mind my own business and keep my ideas to myself most of the time. Unless of course I find some open minds.

People love progress but they hate change

And I am no exception to this rule either, sad but true

The good news is that things still do improve in the end, slowly but steadily. So yes this something worth fighting for.

On 01/01/17 14:37, horrido wrote:
Quite true. The goal of my Smalltalk campaign has always been about
marketing or "branding." The goal has been to get /as many people as
possible/ thinking and talking about Smalltalk. It's not so much about the
quality of conversation as actually having a conversation at all. I explain
here <https://medium.com/@richardeng/domo-arigato-mr-smalltalk-aa84e245beb9>

Thanks for the link. I disagree with this part:

"""

I found it difficult to engage the Smalltalk community. After many years and many failed attempts to popularize Smalltalk, most had felt beaten down into submission. They began to rationalize that Smalltalk didn’t need to be popular. The community was smug and insular, and that was just fine with them.

I can’t say I blame them. Smalltalk has had a storied history and a lot of water under the bridge. But after all these years, it just didn’t seem worth getting their hopes up again.

"""

In my case, I never care about Smalltalk popularity and became hopeless after seeing is not. I have had this care for popularity of free libre open source software (FLOSS) in the past, but now I think that my energy is better put in other "fights" and care more about "sustainability" of FLOSS and its communities and broader societal issues.

But I do think that Smalltalk needs to become less insular, by caring about what is happening elsewhere, including technological and societal places and themes, which means to became a medium to express care about these places and themes. Sometimes this can be done by supporting a particular markup format (markdown) or technology (git) or by supporting broader themes and people (that's why I talk about data story telling and diverse communities), but popularity is not the metric in such broader scenarios, but diversity, autonomy and empowerment.

Cheers,

Offray