[Slightly OT] Stability of Squeak

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gang,

Has there been a resolution of the (sorry if I am suffering from memory
corruption here) non-collectable garbage under Gary's enhancements?
Another thing that disturbed me was the Croquet group(???) threatening
to drop Squeak servers in favor of Java or similar.  There were some
semaphore/delay/shared queue kinds of fixes.  Did they make it into
Squeak?

Please don't do my homework for me.  I am hoping someone here happens to
remember the details.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

RE: [Slightly OT] Stability of Squeak

Gary Chambers-4
I've not noticed a particular increase in image size, myself. The semaphore
fixes posted in the dev-list have worked wonders for the stability of our
client's software... AFAIK they'll be put into 3.10 but must be installed
manualy for 3.9.

There was a post somewhre in the ui list about unrecoverable garbage. After
my last respone there has been no feeback, however.

Regards, Gary,

Travis Kay
Gary,

I've noticed a few debuggers that just wont die, but I'm still trying to
track down the problem. Some of the semaphore / delay fixes have worked
ok for me, others have seemed to hosed my image - admittedly I didn't
review code or comments before just filing in the change sets.

Travis

Gary Chambers wrote:

> I've not noticed a particular increase in image size, myself. The semaphore
> fixes posted in the dev-list have worked wonders for the stability of our
> client's software... AFAIK they'll be put into 3.10 but must be installed
> manualy for 3.9.
>
> There was a post somewhre in the ui list about unrecoverable garbage. After
> my last respone there has been no feeback, however.
>
> Regards, Gary,

Brian Brown-2

On Oct 31, 2007, at 10:07 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> I've not noticed a particular increase in image size, myself. The
> semaphore
> fixes posted in the dev-list have worked wonders for the stability
> of our
> client's software... AFAIK they'll be put into 3.10 but must be
> installed
> manualy for 3.9.
>
> There was a post somewhre in the ui list about unrecoverable
> garbage. After
> my last respone there has been no feeback, however.

Hey Gary - yes, I haven't given any more feedback because I've been
heads down on a project and haven't been using the UI enhancements.
You thought it was likely related to the taskbar; I'll try to use the
Enhancements without the taskbar and see if it makes any difference.

Regards,

Brian

> Regards, Gary,

Maybe down to the taskbar, whick works "synchronously" with window opening.
It is designed to delete itself when there is a problem in creating the
button for the task, to avoid such problems. There is, however, a
posiblility that the task button is created alright but with a potential
cascade effect in the associated window. I could, perhaps, force the taskbar
to close when a user-interrupt occurs... or, perhaps, have a recurse flag of
some sort.

Gary Chambers wrote:
> Maybe down to the taskbar, whick works "synchronously" with window opening.
> It is designed to delete itself when there is a problem in creating the
> button for the task, to avoid such problems. There is, however, a
> posiblility that the task button is created alright but with a potential
> cascade effect in the associated window. I could, perhaps, force the taskbar
> to close when a user-interrupt occurs... or, perhaps, have a recurse flag of
> some sort.

Actually I found my issue, it was due to ECController (eCmopletion)
references in ActionMaps of EventManager. Thanks for the tip though =)

Am AM replying... grrr.. eCompletion... my bane. Not sure why, but it has it
in for me... the only reason I don't use the dev image!.... it malign
influence apparently extends.... (sorry to the developer, good effort but
just doesn't play well, wold like nothing more than is working nicely).

That is very encouraging.  I am starting to think that I need to begin
tackling some basic porting problems.  There is a long todo list, but
one of my systems really needs to find its way onto Linux for torture
testing.  Would you recommend 3.9 or 3.10??

BTW, don't expect this to be an overnight effort.  I have some
preliminaries to consider, such as making the BibTeX system I might have
mentioned a little more friendly, porting my time-stamp-based backup
system to Squeak, and making it run correctly on Linux and Windows as a
result, and so on.  Bottom line: I need to begin to see if Squeak can
handle the load.

Thanks!