Smalltalk-78 in a web browser....(on a JavaScript VM)

Smalltalk-78 in a web browser....(on a JavaScript VM)

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

Smalltalk-78 (paper [1], video [4]) is available (repository [2])
again as a browser app on a JavaScript VM [5].

My question is about the demo [3]. I tried several times to load it in
a browsser but it took a long time and loading did not finish. Is it
working for others?

And how can I set it up locally? I see no HTML file in the repo [2].

Regards

Hannes

----------------

[1] Reviving Smalltalk-78
Dan Ingalls, Bert Freudenberg, Ted Kaehler, Yoshiki Oshima, Alan Kay
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/882

[2] Repository https://github.com/bertfreudenberg/Smalltalk78

[3] https://lively-web.org/users/bert/Smalltalk-78.html

[4] Smalltalk-78 demo video (screen shot and link)
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/880

[5] https://github.com/bertfreudenberg/Smalltalk78/blob/master/vm.js
(4333 LOC)

Re: Smalltalk-78 in a web browser....(on a JavaScript VM)

Bert Freudenberg
The lively page should work ... which browser are you using? Any errors in the JS console? If all else fails, try Chrome.

There is a stand-alone version at http://www.cdglabs.org/thinglab/ which has ThingLab installed, but all the dev tools are still in there of course.

For a local setup I would clone https://github.com/cdglabs/thinglab and replace the image with https://lively-web.org/users/bert/St78/updates/updated.st78

The main git repo does not have html, because it would not work without an image anyways. And I didn’t want to check in the image, because git and binary data don’t mix that well. Then again, the image is < 1 MB, maybe I should add it. I guess it would look similar to the ThingLab page - what do you think?

- Bert -

On Tue 14. Nov 2017 at 11:39, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Bert

On 11/14/17, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The lively page should work ... which browser are you using? Any errors in
> the JS console? If all else fails, try Chrome.
>
> There is a stand-alone version at http://www.cdglabs.org/thinglab/ which
> has ThingLab installed, but all the dev tools are still in there of course.
>
> For a local setup I would clone https://github.com/cdglabs/thinglab and
> replace the image with
> https://lively-web.org/users/bert/St78/updates/updated.st78
>
> The main git repo does not have html, because it would not work without an
> image anyways. And I didn’t want to check in the image, because git and
> binary data don’t mix that well. Then again, the image is < 1 MB, maybe I
> should add it. I guess it would look similar to the ThingLab page - what do
> you think?
>
> - Bert -

I'd like to see the README (Repository
https://github.com/bertfreudenberg/Smalltalk78) extended with step by
step instructions how to get Smalltalk-78 image to run locally in a
web browser.

Copying the Smalltalk78 image file from another place is fine if I am
told to do so in the instructions.

The instructions should include suggestions about browser versions.

I realize that I tried to load it on FF35 which is probably too old
.... (my Ubuntu 14.04 installation).

Thank you for this wonderful work!

--Hannes

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Bert

On 11/14/17, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The lively page should work ... which browser are you using? Any errors in
> the JS console? If all else fails, try Chrome.
>
> There is a stand-alone version at http://www.cdglabs.org/thinglab/ which
> has ThingLab installed, but all the dev tools are still in there of course.
>
> For a local setup I would clone https://github.com/cdglabs/thinglab and
> replace the image with
> https://lively-web.org/users/bert/St78/updates/updated.st78
>
> The main git repo does not have html, because it would not work without an
> image anyways. And I didn’t want to check in the image, because git and
> binary data don’t mix that well. Then again, the image is < 1 MB, maybe I
> should add it. I guess it would look similar to the ThingLab page - what do
> you think?
>
> - Bert -

I'd like to see the README (Repository
https://github.com/bertfreudenberg/Smalltalk78) extended with step by
step instructions how to get Smalltalk-78 image to run locally in a
web browser.

Copying the Smalltalk78 image file from another place is fine if I am
told to do so in the instructions.

The instructions should include suggestions about browser versions.

I realize that I tried to load it on FF35 which is probably too old
.... (my Ubuntu 14.04 installation).

Thank you for this wonderful work!

--Hannes

​I added an index.html which fetches an image from the Lively site. Seems to work fine:

... although not quite all UI features are supported. E.g. copy/paste, or loading an image you saved locally, or importing/exporting files etc. is only implemented in Lively. These features would have to be implemented again (probably quite a bit could be copied from squeak.js).

- Bert -​

bpi

Re: Smalltalk-78 in a web browser....(on a JavaScript VM)

bpi
These demos are so cool! Thank you to everyone who helped resurrecting them.

Cheers,
Bernhard