Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

codefrau
In commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the release of Smalltalk-80, the Computer History Museum is proud to announce a collaboration with Dan Ingalls to preserve and host the “Smalltalk Zoo.”

Dan has been working on this for a good while now. I helped with the SqueakJS part. Today the Computer History Museum announced it:

https://computerhistory.org/blog/introducing-the-smalltalk-zoo-48-years-of-smalltalk-history-at-chm/

Not everything is working perfectly yet. If you want to help out, I can put you in touch with Dan.

Cheers!
Vanessa

Re: Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

David T. Lewis
This is wonderful! Thanks for the pointer to the Computer History Museum article.

Dave

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:10:06PM -0800, Vanessa Freudenberg wrote:

> > In commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the release of Smalltalk-80,
> > the Computer History Museum is proud to announce a collaboration with Dan
> > Ingalls to preserve and host the ???Smalltalk Zoo.???
>

> Dan has been working on this for a good while now. I helped with the
> SqueakJS part. Today the Computer History Museum announced it:
>
> https://computerhistory.org/blog/introducing-the-smalltalk-zoo-48-years-of-smalltalk-history-at-chm/
>
> Not everything is working perfectly yet. If you want to help out, I can put
> you in touch with Dan.
>
> Cheers!
> Vanessa

Re: Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

Masato Sumi
Vanessa-san

Thank you for providing us with so many great implementations.

Smalltalk-72 doesn't seem to be accepting mouse clicks, but I think
this issue can be fixed easily by increasing the mem's array size a
bit.

    // this.mem = new Uint16Array(this.bkupMem.length);
    this.mem = new Uint16Array(0o177777);

Please give my regards to Dan.

--
sumim

2020年12月18日(金) 16:10 Vanessa Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

>> In commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the release of Smalltalk-80, the Computer History Museum is proud to announce a collaboration with Dan Ingalls to preserve and host the “Smalltalk Zoo.”
>

> Dan has been working on this for a good while now. I helped with the SqueakJS part. Today the Computer History Museum announced it:
>
> https://computerhistory.org/blog/introducing-the-smalltalk-zoo-48-years-of-smalltalk-history-at-chm/
>
> Not everything is working perfectly yet. If you want to help out, I can put you in touch with Dan.
>
> Cheers!
> Vanessa

Re: Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

frank.lesser
Smalltalk - 48 years - can't find the origin of the name -
duckduckgo-ing it.

IMO know it well  - but didn't find the explanation why it was named
Smalltalk

I was asking on my twitter - no response yet !

Re: Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

timrowledge

> On 2020-12-18, at 3:30 PM, Frank Lesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Smalltalk - 48 years - can't find the origin of the name - duckduckgo-ing it.
>
> IMO know it well  - but didn't find the explanation why it was named Smalltalk

The story I've always heard is that it was a reaction to the grandiose naming of projects that massively over-promisesd and under-delivered. Jove! GargantuaMegaVictory! GigaProfitDB! etc... Smalltalk, the light chit-chat at parties seemed nicely innocuous and unthreatening.

Plus I'd imagine that the 'talk' nicely includes the essence of message sending and thus had a nice rigng to it.

tim
Strange Opcodes: FART: Fill Accumulator from Result if True

Re: Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

frank.lesser
Tim,

the main thing I remember was "a small talk to a machine"

James Foster pointed me to http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/50

Frank

On 12/19/2020 00:33, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 2020-12-18, at 3:30 PM, Frank Lesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Smalltalk - 48 years - can't find the origin of the name - duckduckgo-ing it.
>>
>> IMO know it well  - but didn't find the explanation why it was named Smalltalk
> The story I've always heard is that it was a reaction to the grandiose naming of projects that massively over-promisesd and under-delivered. Jove! GargantuaMegaVictory! GigaProfitDB! etc... Smalltalk, the light chit-chat at parties seemed nicely innocuous and unthreatening.
>
> Plus I'd imagine that the 'talk' nicely includes the essence of message sending and thus had a nice rigng to it.
>
> tim
> Strange Opcodes: FART: Fill Accumulator from Result if True

Re: Smalltalk Zoo: 48 Years of Smalltalk History at CHM

timrowledge
This is very cool and I hope it gets expanded to show of much more Smalltalk stuff and history.

An amusing sidenote related to my sound problem - running Scratch under SqueakJS and using the note selector mini-keyboard has *exactly* the strange thumpy noise between notes. It's especailly funny given that this is all working through web browsers/emulators/virtual-networking and multiple OSs. What a world we live in.

tim
Useful random insult:- Calling her stupid would be an insult to stupid people.