Smalltalk as an Environment

Casey Ransberger-2
The other thread about SmalltalkImage current etc gave me a though. Well it was probably that and going through "the environment model" in SICP again the other day. Anyway...

Isn't Smalltalk (mostly anyway) a dictionary of bindings? Isn't that a lot like a namespace?

I realize I'm jumping the shark on this one, but something in the back of my brain thinks maybe SystemDictionary should inherit from Environment or something. Of course I know zilch about the implementation of environments, so there's that.

Re: Smalltalk as an Environment

Nicolas Cellier
SystemDictionary allInstances size -> 0
I guess it was kept for easing transition -> Environment.
And yes, it's a sort of Namespace, see VW implementation for example.