Smalltalk consenseSources failes in 3.9a7006 (Paul Provoost)

Smalltalk consenseSources failes in 3.9a7006 (Paul Provoost)

p.provoost

Hi all,

I tried a Smalltalk condenseChanges and Smalltalk condenseSources on
3.9a7006. The condenseChanges went ok, the condenseSources complained
that the changes file was within 100000 bytes of its limit. I was
allowed continue, but then the process stopped with the error:

Message pattern expected ->]]

What can I do about this?

BTW Squeak is growing very fast: imgefile 20 MB changes file 22 MB. A
limit of 32 MB for these files seems to cramped nowadays. Is it possible
to work around that limit?

Cheers,

Paul Provoost
The Netherlands

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en
is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en
de afzender direct te informeren door het bericht te retourneren.
The information contained in this message may be confidential
and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you
receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents
herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.

Re: Smalltalk consenseSources failes in 3.9a7006 (Paul Provoost)

Marcus Denker

On 06.03.2006, at 11:01, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried a Smalltalk condenseChanges and Smalltalk condenseSources on
> 3.9a7006. The condenseChanges went ok, the condenseSources complained
> that the changes file was within 100000 bytes of its limit. I was
> allowed continue, but then the process stopped with the error:
>
> Message pattern expected ->]]
>
> What can I do about this?

We will remove code from 3.9a before going to beta (e.g. PlusTools).
I am really thinking we should ship a new sources file with 3.9a, as
V3 is very old...

You can just delete some packages, e.g. PlusTools, OmniBrowser, before
condensing. Then it should fit, I hope.

> BTW Squeak is growing very fast: imgefile 20 MB changes file 22 MB.

the image file can be made much smaller by

a) deleting the changeset information
b) do a "MCDefinition clearInstances"

after that, it should be around 14MB

The changes file is 12.5 after condensing... even with all the stuff
that
will be removed before Beta.

So it's not as bad as it looks like (but it is fairly bad even with
that...)

> limit of 32 MB for these files seems to cramped nowadays.

Indeed...

> Is it possible to work around that limit?

Thankfully, yes! Now that we have integrated the CompiledMethod
Annotations, we can easily attach state to methods. So instead
of putting the filePointer into the #(0 0 0 0) trailer, we can have
a normal Integer for that (saved in an instVar of MethodProperty)
provididing changes/sources files of indefinite size.

On the other hand, the whole changes/sources thing should definitly
be put back on the drawing board.... the design is very, uhm, classic.
(everytime I see "SourceFiles at: 1"... uhm... please?), it does not
really work well with packaged systems, and it's solving a problem in
that we should solve different today, I feel.

If the Alto would have had 512MB of Ram (like any machine you can
buy now), would we have a .sources today? I don't think so.

       Marcus