Smalltalk party and Exupery

Michael Haupt-3
Dear Squeakers,

I envy those of you who were able to attend the party in Brussels.

In particular, I'd have loved to attend Bryce Kampjes' talk on
Exupery. Are there any slides or something available? What is the
status?

All the best,

Michael

Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery

Cees de Groot-2
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:15:40 +0100, "Michael Haupt" <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>I envy those of you who were able to attend the party in Brussels.

And you should :-). It was an extremely productive weekend. But not to
worry, it seems like there will be plenty more to come.

>In particular, I'd have loved to attend Bryce Kampjes' talk on
>Exupery. Are there any slides or something available? What is the
>status?

Last night on IRC, I think I heard Goran mention he was doing a
write-up and converting Bryce's slides, so I'd say that there's a
decent chance of that happening.

Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Cees,

On 3/14/06, Cees de Groot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And you should :-). It was an extremely productive weekend. But not to
> worry, it seems like there will be plenty more to come.

all of them in Brussels? ;-)

> Last night on IRC, I think I heard Goran mention he was doing a
> write-up and converting Bryce's slides, so I'd say that there's a
> decent chance of that happening.

Oh, great; something to look forward to! :-)

Best,

Michael

Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery

Cees de Groot-2
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:54:53 +0100, "Michael Haupt" <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>all of them in Brussels? ;-)

Well, I wouldn't mind that. I was pleasantly surprised at the low cost
of lodging, dining and especially wining over there :-)

But the next one is London, then Cagliari, then Magdeburg, then
Stockholm. At least, that seems to slowly emerge as a tentative
schedule for this calendar yar...

Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery

Bryce Kampjes
Michael Haupt writes:

 > > Last night on IRC, I think I heard Goran mention he was doing a
 > > write-up and converting Bryce's slides, so I'd say that there's a
 > > decent chance of that happening.
 >
 > Oh, great; something to look forward to! :-)

But it'll have to be after Smalltalk Solutions because I'm giving my
talk there so I don't want it published until after that.

You could always join us at the Smalltalk Party on the 8th of
April in London, I'll be there.

Bryce

Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery

stéphane ducasse-2

On 14 mars 06, at 09:39, Cees de Groot wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:15:40 +0100, "Michael Haupt" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I envy those of you who were able to attend the party in Brussels.
>>
> And you should :-). It was an extremely productive weekend. But not to
> worry, it seems like there will be plenty more to come.

Let us know where and when.
I could host something at annecy :) Not far from geneva :)
but may be I should wait for that.

>> In particular, I'd have loved to attend Bryce Kampjes' talk on
>> Exupery. Are there any slides or something available? What is the
>> status?
>
> Last night on IRC, I think I heard Goran mention he was doing a
> write-up and converting Bryce's slides, so I'd say that there's a
> decent chance of that happening.

Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery

Jon Hylands
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:47:18 +0000, Bryce Kampjes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> But it'll have to be after Smalltalk Solutions because I'm giving my
> talk there so I don't want it published until after that.

I just registered, and I'll definitely be attending your talk...

Later,
Jon
   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

           http://www.huv.com

Preparing movie of Bryce's talk (was Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery)

Göran Krampe
Hi fellas!

Bryce Kampjes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Haupt writes:
>  >
>  > > Last night on IRC, I think I heard Goran mention he was doing a
>  > > write-up and converting Bryce's slides, so I'd say that there's a
>  > > decent chance of that happening.
>  >
>  > Oh, great; something to look forward to! :-)
>
> But it'll have to be after Smalltalk Solutions because I'm giving my
> talk there so I don't want it published until after that.

Yes, I have a writeup about to be published, not super long, but at
least a writeup. Will try to get it up today.

No, I haven't been converting any slides (Bryce just mentioned he
decided to make all new slides for StS).

But one thing is fun:

I have 60 minutes of Bryce's presentation in Brussels on my Linux laptop
in miniDV format (14Gb). I took great care in filming each slide and
switching back and forth to Bryce and the slides are definitely readable
because I zoomed max. The tape ended before Bryce was finished - but I
only lost the last minutes and IIRC that was mostly "smalltalk" :).

Bryce and I have agreed that I can throw up this movie together with
some kind of handouts possibly (from Bryce) at the *exact moment* that
Bryce speaks at StS! :) So all of us not being able to be there can at
least enjoy the rehearsal presentation from Brussels and perhaps join up
at IRC to talk about it.

I played last night with encoding the movie in DivX or XviD using
mencoder - if anyone has a perfect oneliner that goes well with miniDV
(dv2 format) I gladly am all ears. I toyed around and read lots of
webpages and learned a lot - but it is really a jungle.

My pre-conclusion is to use the XviD codec (2 passes) with mp3 (mp3lame,
variable bitrate) for sound since it apparently is one of the best
around.

regards, Göran

PS. For next party we should bring more tapes and a power adaptor (so
that the battery in the camera doesn't run out) and take turns filming.
We could turn these parties into net events that people can "attend"
virtually and discuss together on IRC.

Re: Preparing movie of Bryce's talk (was Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery)

Lord ZealoN
Send a BitTorrent link for share it when done please ;)

2006/3/16, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
Hi fellas!

Bryce Kampjes <[hidden email] > wrote:

> Michael Haupt writes:
>  >
>  > > Last night on IRC, I think I heard Goran mention he was doing a
>  > > write-up and converting Bryce's slides, so I'd say that there's a
>  > > decent chance of that happening.
>  >
>  > Oh, great; something to look forward to! :-)
>
> But it'll have to be after Smalltalk Solutions because I'm giving my
> talk there so I don't want it published until after that.

Yes, I have a writeup about to be published, not super long, but at
least a writeup. Will try to get it up today.

No, I haven't been converting any slides (Bryce just mentioned he
decided to make all new slides for StS).

But one thing is fun:

I have 60 minutes of Bryce's presentation in Brussels on my Linux laptop
in miniDV format (14Gb). I took great care in filming each slide and
switching back and forth to Bryce and the slides are definitely readable
because I zoomed max. The tape ended before Bryce was finished - but I
only lost the last minutes and IIRC that was mostly "smalltalk" :).

Bryce and I have agreed that I can throw up this movie together with
some kind of handouts possibly (from Bryce) at the *exact moment* that
Bryce speaks at StS! :) So all of us not being able to be there can at
least enjoy the rehearsal presentation from Brussels and perhaps join up
at IRC to talk about it.

I played last night with encoding the movie in DivX or XviD using
mencoder - if anyone has a perfect oneliner that goes well with miniDV
(dv2 format) I gladly am all ears. I toyed around and read lots of
webpages and learned a lot - but it is really a jungle.

My pre-conclusion is to use the XviD codec (2 passes) with mp3 (mp3lame,
variable bitrate) for sound since it apparently is one of the best
around.

regards, Göran

PS. For next party we should bring more tapes and a power adaptor (so
that the battery in the camera doesn't run out) and take turns filming.
We could turn these parties into net events that people can "attend"
virtually and discuss together on IRC.

Re: Preparing movie of Bryce's talk (was Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery)

Daniel Vainsencher-2
That is great :-)

[hidden email] wrote:

>Hi fellas!
>
>Bryce Kampjes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Oh, great; something to look forward to! :-)
>>
>>But it'll have to be after Smalltalk Solutions because I'm giving my
>>talk there so I don't want it published until after that.
>>

>Yes, I have a writeup about to be published, not super long, but at
>least a writeup. Will try to get it up today.
>
>No, I haven't been converting any slides (Bryce just mentioned he
>decided to make all new slides for StS).
>
>But one thing is fun:
>
>I have 60 minutes of Bryce's presentation in Brussels on my Linux laptop
>in miniDV format (14Gb). I took great care in filming each slide and
>switching back and forth to Bryce and the slides are definitely readable
>because I zoomed max. The tape ended before Bryce was finished - but I
>only lost the last minutes and IIRC that was mostly "smalltalk" :).
>
>Bryce and I have agreed that I can throw up this movie together with
>some kind of handouts possibly (from Bryce) at the *exact moment* that
>Bryce speaks at StS! :) So all of us not being able to be there can at
>least enjoy the rehearsal presentation from Brussels and perhaps join up
>at IRC to talk about it.
>
>I played last night with encoding the movie in DivX or XviD using
>mencoder - if anyone has a perfect oneliner that goes well with miniDV
>(dv2 format) I gladly am all ears. I toyed around and read lots of
>webpages and learned a lot - but it is really a jungle.
>
>My pre-conclusion is to use the XviD codec (2 passes) with mp3 (mp3lame,
>variable bitrate) for sound since it apparently is one of the best
>around.
>
>regards, Göran
>
>PS. For next party we should bring more tapes and a power adaptor (so
>that the battery in the camera doesn't run out) and take turns filming.
>We could turn these parties into net events that people can "attend"
>virtually and discuss together on IRC.

Re: Preparing movie of Bryce's talk (was Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery)

Hilaire Fernandes-5
[hidden email] a écrit :

> My pre-conclusion is to use the XviD codec (2 passes) with mp3 (mp3lame,
> variable bitrate) for sound since it apparently is one of the best
> around.

My best bet on free codec (free regarding patent problems) is Theora
(http://www.theora.org/), althought I don't know if it os suitable for
you and your situation.

Hilaire

ADD R0,R1,R2,LSL #2

Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] a écrit :
>
> > My pre-conclusion is to use the XviD codec (2 passes) with mp3 (mp3lame,
> > variable bitrate) for sound since it apparently is one of the best
> > around.
>
> My best bet on free codec (free regarding patent problems) is Theora
> (http://www.theora.org/), althought I don't know if it os suitable for
> you and your situation.
>
> Hilaire

My guess is that using something like Theora would probably make the
video "less" easily available for most people on this list. IMHO I want
to use a format that is either supported in Windows, MacOS and Linux
"out of the box" or in any of the very popular and easily downloadable
players like for example VLC.

Hmmm, but now I see that Theora is supported by VLC... so perhaps it is
the way to go? Is it "better" than XviD?

regards, Göran

Re: Preparing movie of Bryce's talk (was Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery)

Yanni Chiu
[hidden email] wrote:
> PS. For next party we should bring more tapes and a power adaptor (so
> that the battery in the camera doesn't run out) and take turns filming.
> We could turn these parties into net events that people can "attend"
> virtually and discuss together on IRC.

Here's a link to a webcast of a Feb. 8, 2006 meeting:
http://demo.intrafinity.com/workspaces/one.cfm?workspace_id=-4&object_id=27255
http://demo.intrafinity.com/workspaces/one.cfm?workspace_id=-4&object_id=31667&tab=object_view&CFID=36583&CFTOKEN=fdc0d9ea37c5f79b-03D2463F-6097-9360-636ADA20EEFA4388

It's a school board meeting, and they talk about Squeak
usage in the school. By Squeak, they mean EToys.

There was a single video guy with a camera on a tripod,
two microphones, a dvd player, and a bunch of wires.
I just briefly scanned the webcast replay using the
links above (since I was there, I didn't want to see it
all again). When I view the replay, I see the video (small)
in the top left, and a synchronized view of the presenter's
computer presentation in a big area on the right.

If I could just figure out how to link into these
video production resources, I could be in the movies
too (doing Smalltalk/Seaside). :-)

Jon Hylands writes:
 > On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:47:18 +0000, Bryce Kampjes
 > <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >
 > > But it'll have to be after Smalltalk Solutions because I'm giving my
 > > talk there so I don't want it published until after that.
 >
 > I just registered, and I'll definitely be attending your talk...

Cool, it'll be great to meet some more Squeakers. Will you be bringing
any robots?

Is there going to be a Squeak BOF?

Bryce

Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery

Jon Hylands
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:16:43 +0000, Bryce Kampjes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool, it'll be great to meet some more Squeakers. Will you be bringing
> any robots?

No, not this year -- I'm just attending, not presenting.