So who broke bitOr: ?

timrowledge

On a fresh Pi vm (as in svn updated yesterday)
16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  -1
On a slightly older Mac vm
16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  4294967295, aka 16rFFFFFFFF

This breaks, amongst other things, Color>bitPatternForDepth:, whcih pretty much trashes an image since that gets used to makes cursor bitmaps as you move the pointer around. Nicely fills your window with notifiers…

So come along; hands up the boy that did that! I’ll keep you all in late unless someone confesses. It’s only your own time you’re wasting! Was it *you* Molesworth?

tim
Strange OpCodes: PBC: Print and Break Chain

Re: So who broke bitOr: ?

Bert Freudenberg

On 18.02.2015, at 12:06, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On a fresh Pi vm (as in svn updated yesterday)
> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  -1
> On a slightly older Mac vm
> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  4294967295, aka 16rFFFFFFFF

Uggh. Disgusting.

What exactly is a "fresh Pi VM"?

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

So who broke bitOr: ?

Louis LaBrunda

Hi Tim,

>Strange OpCodes: PBC: Print and Break Chain

Ooh, I like this one (not that I don't like most of them).  I wonder how
many people remember when printers had chains?

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Re: So who broke bitOr: ?

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:06:41PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On a fresh Pi vm (as in svn updated yesterday)
> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  -1
> On a slightly older Mac vm
> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  4294967295, aka 16rFFFFFFFF
>
> This breaks, amongst other things, Color>bitPatternForDepth:, whcih pretty much trashes an image since that gets used to makes cursor bitmaps as you move the pointer around. Nicely fills your window with notifiers?

It looks like a type declaration and/or slang inlining issue. Back up
a few versions in VMMaker.oscog and you will probably find the cause.

Eliot has been doing a lot of work related to 64-bit immediates, and you
may be running some version that introduces a bug in the 32-bit variation
(just guessing).

Dave

Re: So who broke bitOr: ?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Feb 18, 2015, at 5:21 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:06:41PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> On a fresh Pi vm (as in svn updated yesterday)
>> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  -1
>> On a slightly older Mac vm
>> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  4294967295, aka 16rFFFFFFFF
>>
>> This breaks, amongst other things, Color>bitPatternForDepth:, whcih pretty much trashes an image since that gets used to makes cursor bitmaps as you move the pointer around. Nicely fills your window with notifiers?
>
> It looks like a type declaration and/or slang inlining issue. Back up
> a few versions in VMMaker.oscog and you will probably find the cause.
>
> Eliot has been doing a lot of work related to 64-bit immediates, and you
> may be running some version that introduces a bug in the 32-bit variation
> (just guessing).

Mea culpa.  In getting 64-bit Sour working I broke Slang and that broke the bit logic primitives.  I just committed a working VMMaker.oscog.

Tim, Bert's question was germane.  The oscog VM was broken, not the interpreter one, and you could have said "freshly generated from VMMaker.oscog-???.nnn" ;-)

> Dave

Re: So who broke bitOr: ?

ccrraaiigg

> Mea culpa.  In getting 64-bit Sour working I broke Slang and that
> broke the bit logic primitives.

     Aha, when Spur breaks something, it is Sour. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org