Socket ping: doesn't work

cbeler
I can't manage to make:

Socket ping: '127.0.0.1' or any other local machine...

I've removed the proxy...
I'm using squeak 3.8-6665 on linux (ubuntu)

Do you have any idea ?

The thing I find strange is that with any local connection, it even
doesnt wait for 10 seconds... I immediatly receive the message
'continue to wait for connection to...' whereas for an extern site, it
waits 10 seconds ...

Have no idea :(   I tried with OldSocket too and had the same problem...

Thanks

cédrick

Re: Socket ping: doesn't work

Göran Krampe
Hi!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?C=E9drick_B=E9ler?= <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't manage to make:
>
> Socket ping: '127.0.0.1' or any other local machine...

If you read the #ping: code you see that it mentions in the method
comment that this is not a "normal" ping but a "ping" using a running
echo server on port 7. Most likely the machines you are trying to "ping"
are not running the echo server, or port 7 is blocked in your/someone
elses firewall.

You could use pingPortsOn: but it has a bug, file in the attached
changeset and then you can do inspect-it on:

        Socket pingPortsOn: 'krampe.se'

If you are not firewalled that would give you an array with ftp and http
in it, indicating that those ports are open on my box. And no, I don't
have an echo server on port 7, so it is not included.

regards, Göran

SocketFix-gk.cs.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Socket ping: doesn't work

cbeler

>If you read the #ping: code you see that it mentions in the method
>comment that this is not a "normal" ping but a "ping" using a running
>echo server on port 7.

oups :s

> Socket pingPortsOn: 'krampe.se'
>
>If you are not firewalled that would give you an array with ftp and http
>in it, indicating that those ports are open on my box. And no, I don't
>have an echo server on port 7, so it is not included.

actually... #('ftp' 'smtp' 'http')  ;)

I added 5432 for postgres and 3306 for mysql    useful ;)
Apparently they were forbidding acces to IP then dont know on the server :)

Thanks for the patch ;)

See you

Cédrick