Solaris VM ?

jannik laval
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if Pharo can work on a Solaris System ?

Cheers,
Jannik

Re: Solaris VM ?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Jannik,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if Pharo can work on a Solaris System ?

In theory yes.  It is merely a "small matter" of compiling a VM on the system.  Are you talking about open solaris with x86 or good old solaris with SPARC?

Cheers,
Jannik

best,
Eliot

Re: Solaris VM ?

Andreas Wacknitz
Hi Jannik,

some time ago I was able to compile the old Squeak VM on Solaris (SPARC and x86).
I haven’t tried it for a long time, especially not with Cog or StackVM.
Which version of Solaris are you using?

Best regards,
Andreas

Am 25.11.2013 um 22:50 schrieb jannik.laval <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys,
>
> Does anyone know if Pharo can work on a Solaris System ?
>
> Cheers,
> Jannik

Re: Solaris VM ?

jannik laval
Hi,

After a while, I have the information. This is a x86 (this is not for me).
I will try to install a Solaris VM, and install a Pharo on top.

Jannik

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
http://car.mines-douai.fr/

Re: Solaris VM ?

Stéphane Ducasse
Jannik

I do not understand. The people do not have a windows machine?
Because I can understand thta you are solaris around but having a simple windows machine looks like a simple
requirement.

Stef

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai

Re: Solaris VM ?

jannik laval
Yes it is possible, but they prefer to have all their systems on Solaris.

Jannik

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
http://car.mines-douai.fr/

Re: Solaris VM ?

Stéphane Ducasse

Yes it is possible, but they prefer to have all their systems on Solaris.

and live in the past (kind of 20 years back why not after all derrick and gameboy was not that bad). Indeed this is a choice.

Stef

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai

Re: Solaris VM ?

philippeback
Solaris is far from dead.

I wouldn't call that living in the past if you ask me.

Phil

---
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai

Re: Solaris VM ?

Andreas Wacknitz
Hi Jannik,

PharoVM is based on Cog. My old VM’s were traditional SqueakVM’s.
I am not aware of precompiled Solaris VM’s based on Cog or PharoVM,
so you have to build them by yourself. This should be possible; you only need
some supporting libraries (e.g. GMP (earlier named GNUmp) and MPFR)) and probably CMake.
When I did compile it for myself I used Solaris 10 (both, x86 and SPARC). Which variant do your
customers have? Nowadays there are Solaris 10, Solaris 11, and a bunch of OpenSolaris derivates.
There are some differences in the tool chains and libraries (versions).
If you are not familiar with Solaris or UNIX you should be aware that UNIX in Squeak’s view
is (most probably only) Linux. And this is problematic because you will most probably find some
areas where there are differences between a „real“ UNIX (like Solaris) and Linux.

Good luck,
Andreas

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai

Re: Solaris VM ?

aglynn42
<quote author="Andreas Wacknitz"> This pdf has a lot of info on porting linux code to solaris 11. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracle.com%2Ftechnetwork%2Fserver-storage%2Fsolaris11%2Fdocumentation%2Fo12-026-linux2solaris-guide-1686620.pdf&ei=q4SGU5KHK6nD8QHX24H4Dg&usg=AFQjCNHjKsI52DYdYccKsfs1VtGsr0pxTg&sig2=J9FawEr7fd8uKiyiDZrrNQ&bvm=bv.67720277,d.b2U __________________________________________________________________ Hi Jannik, PharoVM is based on Cog. My old VM’s were traditional SqueakVM’s. I am not aware of precompiled Solaris VM’s based on Cog or PharoVM, so you have to build them by yourself. This should be possible; you only need some supporting libraries (e.g. GMP (earlier named GNUmp) and MPFR)) and probably CMake. When I did compile it for myself I used Solaris 10 (both, x86 and SPARC). Which variant do your customers have? Nowadays there are Solaris 10, Solaris 11, and a bunch of OpenSolaris derivates. There are some differences in the tool chains and libraries (versions). If you are not familiar with Solaris or UNIX you should be aware that UNIX in Squeak’s view is (most probably only) Linux. And this is problematic because you will most probably find some areas where there are differences between a „real“ UNIX (like Solaris) and Linux. Good luck, Andreas

Re: Solaris VM ?

Nicolas Cellier
Great. This shall typically be posted on vm-dev.