Some initial reactions

1 message Options

Some initial reactions

Ross Boylan
I got croquet running on one computer, and tried it out.  Here are some
initial reactions.

In my earlier messages I was assuming that basic squeak objects were
easily shareable.  As far as I can tell, this is not the case.  I don't
see access to them inside the croquet world, and if I drop an object
from squeak (e.g., the object tool) "into" the croquet world the dropped
object just lands behind the window.  I see some sample code for
embedded apps, but it looks as if each object is a one-off.  The demos
with the shared spreadsheets were tantilizing, but where did the
spreadsheets come from?

And I don't see a vnc client or any other way to grab external apps.

So it doesn't look as if my daughter could do much other than talk to a
friend; it they want to work on something it appears that something
would need to be built for croquet, even if it's just a text document.
That is, if she wanted to work on a text document (or a web page), one
would first have to devise an appropriate document suitable for
embedding in a croquet world.  This is not entirely surprising, since
it's billed as a software development kit :(

As I navigated I kept pointing to where I wanted to go, rather than
using the pointer as a navigation control.  This may partly be from
habits picked up with other applications.

It's still pretty rough; I had quite a few exceptions popping up, as
well as croquet getting caught flashing up windows within croquet as it
was doing things.  I also needed to set up some links by hand on my
(Debian) system, since Croquet.sh didn't know where to find the relevant
libraries.

Ross