Some labels broke in a recent update

marcel.taeumel
Hi all!

Is there a way to get back the number of implementors/senders in the window title? Also the message-search tool has no title:

Best,
Marcel

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

Christoph Thiede

Hi Marcel,

this change was introduced via Tools-tpr.1008, but if you unselected and selected a message again, the number was hidden before already. See also: http://forum.world.st/Improving-the-SystemNavigation-browseMessageList-stuff-td5123574.html

I guess we cannot show a reliable number if the message trace has multiple levels. Now the display is at least consistent. Hm, should we maybe introduce an edge case in MessageTrace>>windowTitle if the trace has only one level of items?

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

marcel.taeumel
Hi Christoph.

I don't use MessageTrace. Always MessageSet. ;-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 29.10.2020 14:42:55 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

Hi Marcel,

this change was introduced via Tools-tpr.1008, but if you unselected and selected a message again, the number was hidden before already. See also: http://forum.world.st/Improving-the-SystemNavigation-browseMessageList-stuff-td5123574.html

I guess we cannot show a reliable number if the message trace has multiple levels. Now the display is at least consistent. Hm, should we maybe introduce an edge case in MessageTrace>>windowTitle if the trace has only one level of items?

Best,

Christoph

Is there a way to get back the number of implementors/senders in the window title? Also the message-search tool has no title:

Best,
Marcel

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

Ron Teitelbaum

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 29, 2020, at 1:35 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all!

Is there a way to get back the number of implementors/senders in the window title?

When "Multi-window browsers" is enabled, could we add a blank line to the window title so that we can drag the window without losing mouse control to the window menu?

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum
Doing my best to pretend to be a saying from Tim's list

+1

Also the message-search tool has no title:

+1

Best,
Marcel

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Ron, Hi Marcel,

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 8:50 AM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 29, 2020, at 1:35 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all!

Is there a way to get back the number of implementors/senders in the window title?

When "Multi-window browsers" is enabled, could we add a blank line to the window title so that we can drag the window without losing mouse control to the window menu?

There are two things I'd like help with
a) restricting the part of the title bar that opens the menu of browser windows/tabs, while keeping the full title string displayed.  i.e. clip input but not clip output
b) allowing keyboard input so that I can quickly delete entries, select windows with function keys, etc

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

timrowledge

> On 2020-10-29, at 1:35 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> Is there a way to get back the number of implementors/senders in the window title? Also the message-search tool has no title:

I noted this artefact when I put the update in the inbox.

Setting the default selection automatically changes the label to reflect the item selected and thus removes the number. The old code fudged the initial number with a terrible hack that also got the number wrong in some cases.

Let's see. I guess in MessageSet one could add the size of the message list to the label and just leave it at that; you don't add items in a MessageSet. In the MessageTrace ... well, what do people want to see here? The total number of initial messages? The number connected to the current selected item?

Part of the problem is that the use of a simple list isn't really optimal here, when one has effectively a tree of sends/implements entries. And using the window label to indicate status probably isn't optimal either.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LINO: Last In, Never Out mode

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

timrowledge

> On 2020-10-29, at 6:55 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Christoph.
>
> I don't use MessageTrace. Always MessageSet. ;-)

What's your reason for that?  They're less helpful as far as I can see and don't appear to offer any advantage...

tim
Useful random insult:- Mind like a steel sieve.

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

Squeak - Dev mailing list
I say already but repeat here: is better to add an extra visible button to the title bar, no depend of a invisible button, like this:

i have a .cs who have a hack to detect the correct site, probably can be better if there was an instance variable who points to the buttons:

button.png (30K) Download Attachment
MWB-button.2.cs (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

timrowledge
Tools-tpr.1010 seems to solve that particular problem with labels disappearing. Or even 'disapproving' as autocorrect would like to put it.

tim
'Profanity: the universal programming language'

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

timrowledge

> On 2020-10-29, at 10:32 AM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I say already but repeat here: is better to add an extra visible button to the title bar, no depend of a invisible button, like this:
>
> <button.png>

Given that we already have a window menu (the blue icon with the down arrow) I'm puzzled why that isn't used to handle the multi-window stuff.

{Wow - the 'random' sigline machine is on a real tear today}

tim
Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Sorry the correct .cs is:

about the window menu, IMHO is better that this functionality have there own button so is a one click away, the '<=>' can be replace for a better icon, with the down arrow.

MWB-button.3.cs (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Some labels broke in a recent update

marcel.taeumel
Hi all!

Labels work again in update 20054. Thanks!

Best,
Marcel