Some more newb questions

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Some more newb questions

Rich-18
1.  Is there a keyboard shortcut that goes directly to the "open..." menu?

2.  In a previous message on this list, someone informed me that when
code is executed in the Workspace, it is compiled as the doIt method
of UndefinedObject.  Is there any particular reason why it is executed
in this fashion?

Thanks alot.

-Rich

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some more newb questions

Tom Phoenix
On 1/26/06, Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Subject: Some more newb questions

Rather than grouping questions by "newb", may I recommend that you
post each question as a separate item with a distinctive subject line.
Although that may seem at first to cause twice as many messages to be
distributed, it actually results in less list traffic in the long run.

> 1.  Is there a keyboard shortcut that goes directly to the "open..." menu?

Not that I know of, but you could create one.

> 2.  In a previous message on this list, someone informed me that when
> code is executed in the Workspace, it is compiled as the doIt method
> of UndefinedObject.  Is there any particular reason why it is executed
> in this fashion?

Yes: "It seemed to make sense at the time." :-)  How would you like it
to be done?

Cheers!

--Tom Phoenix

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some more newb questions

Marcus Denker

On 27.01.2006, at 01:01, Tom Phoenix wrote:

> On 1/26/06, Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>
> Yes: "It seemed to make sense at the time." :-)  How would you like it
> to be done?
>

You could just #withArgs:executeMethod: for executing the #doIt, no need
to have it really installed. Lukas has send a changeset a while ago  
that does
this:

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=2246

0002246: Evaluating code and #DoIt/#DoItIn:
Description
Evaluating code might leave a method #DoIt/#DoItIn: within the  
receiver class, this is not annoying for all the tools that check the  
presence of such a method but might also confuse beginners that don't  
know where this method is coming from.

Since the possibility to execute compiled methods within a receiver  
without actually adding them is possible in Squeak, the attached  
change-set makes use of the feature. This does not create a method  
called #DoIt/#DoItIn: and is about twice as fast as the old approach.

     Marcus

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some more newb questions

cbeler
In reply to this post by Rich-18

>1.  Is there a keyboard shortcut that goes directly to the "open..." menu?
>
>  
>
As a woraround, I use a shortcut by copying the "open" menu item and
putting it on the environment (open the world menu, then middle click
twice on the open item, (it opens halos that allow to duplicate an item
with the green one))
--

*/C├ędrick/**/ /*


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some more newb questions

Rich-18
In reply to this post by Tom Phoenix
Hey, no offense intended.  Honestly I was just curious about what's
going underneath the hood (and yes I realize it's smalltalk and I can
just look, but I'm lazy okay :-).

On 1/26/06, Tom Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/26/06, Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Subject: Some more newb questions
>
> Rather than grouping questions by "newb", may I recommend that you
> post each question as a separate item with a distinctive subject line.
> Although that may seem at first to cause twice as many messages to be
> distributed, it actually results in less list traffic in the long run.
>
> > 1.  Is there a keyboard shortcut that goes directly to the "open..." menu?
>
> Not that I know of, but you could create one.
>
> > 2.  In a previous message on this list, someone informed me that when
> > code is executed in the Workspace, it is compiled as the doIt method
> > of UndefinedObject.  Is there any particular reason why it is executed
> > in this fashion?
>
> Yes: "It seemed to make sense at the time." :-)  How would you like it
> to be done?
>
> Cheers!
>
> --Tom Phoenix
>
>