Sound, video and color in morphic projects

1 message Options

Sound, video and color in morphic projects

Ricardo Pablo Salvador
Hello!

I'm Ricardo Salvador, from Rosario, Argentina.

In 2008 I met Squeak-Etoys and was fascinated by it. Since then I use it in high school; I've been testing Squeak 5.x for a while and now with version 6.0: working with morphic-based projects is a fascinating and at the same time friendly way to start teens in programming.

And in my experience I see that Squeak is really simple to learn with OOP principles. Now I try to learn SmallTalk.

That's why I want to make a contribution-questions about Squeak 5.3 and/or 6.0 alpha:

1. On Linux Ubuntu 18.04 no sounds are played: when I try, the console gives the message "sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory". I haven't found a solution yet. In Windows it works.

2. The "Color" category is missing, containing the tiles "red", "green", "blue", "hue", "brightness", "saturation". The first three are very useful!

3. I can't get the camera monitor to work on Linux or Windows. On Linux I don't get any feedback from the camera.

Those features still work ok in Etoys 5.0 although of course I would like to change to a current version of Squeak for its performance and validity improvements.

I'm a teacher, specialized in computer technology applied to education. If I can contribute in other ways, I'm at your disposal.

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo P. Salvador
http://tinyurl.com/rsatweb