SoundPlayer VM Crash

Martin Troielli
Hi All,

We are experiencing a VM Crash in our production system. It happens after
between 3-5hs since is running. It seems to be related to the SoundPlayer
but it's used extensively through the system and we cannot track what
happens. I attached the crash dump files where we found the errors. It
seems to be related to the SoundPlayer
class>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: method, have
somebody experienced something similar?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are experiencing a VM Crash in our production system. It happens after
> between 3-5hs since is running. It seems to be related to the SoundPlayer but
> it's used extensively through the system and we cannot track what happens. I
> attached the crash dump files where we found the errors. It seems to be
> related to the SoundPlayer
> class>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: method, have somebody
> experienced something similar?

It seems like you forgot to attach the files.

Levente

> Thanks in advance,
> Martin

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Martin Troielli
ups! sorry, here they are...

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:12:44 -0300, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We are experiencing a VM Crash in our production system. It happens
>> after between 3-5hs since is running. It seems to be related to the
>> SoundPlayer but it's used extensively through the system and we cannot
>> track what happens. I attached the crash dump files where we found the
>> errors. It seems to be related to the SoundPlayer
>> class>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: method, have
>> somebody experienced something similar?
>
> It seems like you forgot to attach the files.
>

> Levente
>

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Martin

crash.dmp.001.bak (1K) Download Attachment
crash.dmp.002.bak (1K) Download Attachment
crash.dmp.003.bak (1K) Download Attachment
crash.dmp.004.bak (1K) Download Attachment

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:

> ups! sorry, here they are...

Are you forking the process which sends
#startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: to
SoundPlayer?

Levente

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:12:44 -0300, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> We are experiencing a VM Crash in our production system. It happens after
>>> between 3-5hs since is running. It seems to be related to the SoundPlayer
>>> but it's used extensively through the system and we cannot track what
>>> happens. I attached the crash dump files where we found the errors. It
>>> seems to be related to the SoundPlayer
>>> class>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: method, have
>>> somebody experienced something similar?
>>
>> It seems like you forgot to attach the files.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Martin

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Martin Troielli
Yes, it's forked.

Martin

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:35:03 -0300, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:
>
>> ups! sorry, here they are...
>
> Are you forking the process which sends
> #startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: to SoundPlayer?
>

> Levente
>

>> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:12:44 -0300, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>>  It seems like you forgot to attach the files.
>>>   Levente

>> -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:

> Yes, it's forked.

You shouldn't. There should only be one sound player process at a time. If
you call this method concurrently, there's a slight chance that two or
more processes will exists at the same time which will lead to a crash.
Why are you forking this process?

Levente

> Martin
>
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:35:03 -0300, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:
>>
>>> ups! sorry, here they are...
>>
>> Are you forking the process which sends
>> #startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: to SoundPlayer?

>>> -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Martin Troielli
Thanks Levente. This method call is included into a block that controls an
ending step and needs to run concurrently at the system. I think we could
put a semaphore to avoid this, but I though that it was already handled by
the SoundPlayer itself.

Best regards,
Martin

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:55:35 -0300, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Martin wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's forked.
>
> You shouldn't. There should only be one sound player process at a time.
> If you call this method concurrently, there's a slight chance that two
> or more processes will exists at the same time which will lead to a
> crash.
> Why are you forking this process?
>

> Levente
>

>> Martin
>>
>> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:35:03 -0300, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>>  Are you forking the process which sends
>>> #startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: to SoundPlayer?
>>>   Levente

>> -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Andreas.Raab
Martin wrote:
> We are experiencing a VM Crash in our production system. It happens
> after between 3-5hs since is running. It seems to be related to the
> SoundPlayer but it's used extensively through the system and we cannot
> track what happens. I attached the crash dump files where we found the
> errors. It seems to be related to the SoundPlayer
> class>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: method, have
> somebody experienced something similar?

It looks like it's crashing somewhere in the sound player's play loop,
and fairly reliably so. If you can repeat the problem, could you try the
following:
- Launch your application
- Press F2 to get to the VM preferences
- Go to "Display and Sound" and toggle the Direct Sound preference
This will take a slightly different path in the VM. If this crashes as
well, please send me the crash.dmp. If it doesn't crash you can use that
as a workaround; the problem is then likely in the low-level interface
to DSound.

BTW, one other thing you might try that might be helpful is to change
SoundPlayer class>>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: to
give the player process highIOPriority. The default player priority is
too low if you have other preemptive activities related to sound.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Martin Troielli
Many thanks for the information. Unfortunately the problem is difficult to
reproduce programatically it only happened after many hours of running. We
will try to change the Direct Sound preferences and the highIOPriority to
see if it crashes again.

Best regards,
Martin