Spoon 2 alpha 1

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

     I've released Spoon 2 alpha 1.

     http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/next

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: Spoon 2 alpha 1

Bert Freudenberg
On Apr 12, 2007, at 3:40 , Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      I've released Spoon 2 alpha 1.
>
>      http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/next

Cool!

Doesn't appear to do anything on my Intel Mac, though ...

The automator action opens a browser but the server appears not to be
running.

Dragging the image onto the processor also does nothing apparently.

- Bert -

Re: Spoon 2 alpha 1

ccrraaiigg

Hi Bert--

> The automator action opens a browser but the server appears not to be
> running.

     There's still a vestigial need for the Quartz display module, which
got left out. Try release 2a2, again at

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:35 , Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Bert--
>
>> The automator action opens a browser but the server appears not to be
>> running.
>
>      There's still a vestigial need for the Quartz display module,
> which
> got left out. Try release 2a2, again at
> http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/next/.

Not better. The Safari window opened does not even point to any URL
anymore, it's just blank. Actually, on second try it does, but no
server running.

Is this the Unix VM? Why does it have the golden icon?

- Bert -

Re: Spoon 2 alpha 1

Bert Freudenberg

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:57 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:35 , Craig Latta wrote:
>

>> Hi Bert--
>>
>>> The automator action opens a browser but the server appears not
>>> to be
>>> running.
>>
>>      There's still a vestigial need for the Quartz display module,
>> which
>> got left out. Try release 2a2, again at
>> http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/next/.
>
> Not better. The Safari window opened does not even point to any URL
> anymore, it's just blank. Actually, on second try it does, but no
> server running.
>
> Is this the Unix VM? Why does it have the golden icon?

Apparently it does not find the Quartz module when running from the
Finder. Run from the shell, it misses vm-sound-null.

- Bert -

re: Spoon 2 alpha

ccrraaiigg

Hi Bert--

> Is this the Unix VM? Why does it have the golden icon?

     In order to get Automator to launch the processor and proceeding
with the workflow (opening the web browser) without waiting for the
processor to terminate, I apparently have to launch the processor via a
Finder action, not a shell script. To do that, the processor application
has to be in the MacOSX "app" format. I just shoehorned the bits of the
Unix VM into that structure.

> Apparently it does not find the Quartz module when running from the
> Finder. Run from the shell, it misses vm-sound-null.

     I put both of those modules as siblings of the processor executable
in Spoon 2a4, http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/next/. I moved my normal
lib directory to another location and was able to duplicate the problem
with 2a2, and was successful with 2a4.

     thanks again!

-C

On Apr 12, 2007, at 18:56 , Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Bert--
>
>> Is this the Unix VM? Why does it have the golden icon?
>
>      In order to get Automator to launch the processor and proceeding
> with the workflow (opening the web browser) without waiting for the
> processor to terminate, I apparently have to launch the processor
> via a
> Finder action, not a shell script. To do that, the processor
> application
> has to be in the MacOSX "app" format. I just shoehorned the bits of
> the
> Unix VM into that structure.

Well, if you build a (current) Unix VM you'll get a .app, too. At
least you should use its blue icons (they otherwise look the same).

>> Apparently it does not find the Quartz module when running from the
>> Finder. Run from the shell, it misses vm-sound-null.
>
>      I put both of those modules as siblings of the processor
> executable
> in Spoon 2a4, http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/next/. I moved my
> normal
> lib directory to another location and was able to duplicate the
> problem
> with 2a2, and was successful with 2a4.

I'll try that one.

- Bert -

re: Spoon 2 alpha

ccrraaiigg

> Well, if you build a (current) Unix VM you'll get a .app, too. At
> least you should use its blue icons (they otherwise look the same).

     Done (used the icons; I'm too lazy to build a current Unix VM at
the moment).

     thanks again,

-C

On Apr 12, 2007, at 20:09 , Craig Latta wrote:

>> Well, if you build a (current) Unix VM you'll get a .app, too. At
>> least you should use its blue icons (they otherwise look the same).
>
>      Done (used the icons; I'm too lazy to build a current Unix VM at
> the moment).

Icons look nice.

But it doesn't do anything beyond crashing. Log attached.

- Bert -

processor.crash.log.zip (25K) Download Attachment

Re: Spoon 2 alpha

ccrraaiigg

> Icons look nice.
>
> But it doesn't do anything beyond crashing. Log attached.

     You and your stupid icons! ;)

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: Spoon 2 alpha

ccrraaiigg

> Icons look nice.
>
> But it doesn't do anything beyond crashing. Log attached.

     Seriously, I can't duplicate this. I'm at a loss to explain it.

     thanks again,

-C

On Apr 12, 2007, at 22:15 , Craig Latta wrote:

>> Icons look nice.
>>
>> But it doesn't do anything beyond crashing. Log attached.
>
>      Seriously, I can't duplicate this. I'm at a loss to explain it.

Well - anybody else on an Intel Mac seeing it work or crash?

- Bert -

Re: Spoon 2 alpha

ccrraaiigg

> Well - anybody else on an Intel Mac seeing it work or crash?

     Yeah, and what's weird is that it worked for you before.

-C

On Apr 12, 2007, at 22:28 , Craig Latta wrote:

>> Well - anybody else on an Intel Mac seeing it work or crash?
>
>      Yeah, and what's weird is that it worked for you before.

Well, it brought up the initial page once, but I could not yet get a
result when clicking.

I just tried again, it showed the same page. Not sure if that is the
cached one maybe, it looks identical, including the wrong :8080
links. Going to http://localhost:8090/2 manually crashes the VM.

- Bert -

re: web server not closing connections gracefully

ccrraaiigg

     Aha, I was able to duplicate this on Linux, when running Spoon for
the second time. Apparently the Spoon web server is leaving connections
around in TIME_WAIT. The next time Spoon tries to start, it barfs when
attempting to bind to the web server port.

     I'll work on this.

     thanks again!

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: Spoon 2 alpha

ccrraaiigg

Hi Bert--

> I just tried again, it showed the same page. Not sure if that is the
> cached one maybe, it looks identical...

     Ah, I should quote the millisecond clock on the greeting page (no
Time or Date classes in Spoon yet :).

     thanks again,

-C