Spoon 3 beta 2 released

ccrraaiigg

Hi all--

     I've released Spoon 3 beta 2, see [1]. This is an important one,
because it's the first one that opens a remote browser onto a small
headless memory automatically. With this one it's pretty easy to browse
around.

     So now there's a memory with development tools in it, and a small
memory which takes the place of the old changes file (by remembering
changes in an object database). Next, I’ll set up a third memory, a
minimal environment which can the basis of a full Smalltalk distribution
(e.g., Squeak 5). I’ll write instructions for creating unit tests for
each package in our communities, and imprinting the code run by those
tests into the minimal memory, thereby creating a module. We can work
toward releases where all the packages anyone might want to load are
served by some online history memory, with package metadata searchable
with Google[2].

     thanks!

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/9pw4gjc (wordpress.com)
[2] http://netjam.org/spoon/modules

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Spoon 3 beta 2 released

Chris Cunnington
On 12-10-19 4:34 PM, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi all--
>
>       I've released Spoon 3 beta 2, see [1]. This is an important one,
> because it's the first one that opens a remote browser onto a small
> headless memory automatically. With this one it's pretty easy to browse
> around.
>
>       So now there's a memory with development tools in it, and a small
> memory which takes the place of the old changes file (by remembering
> changes in an object database). Next, I’ll set up a third memory, a
> minimal environment which can the basis of a full Smalltalk distribution
> (e.g., Squeak 5). I’ll write instructions for creating unit tests for
> each package in our communities, and imprinting the code run by those
> tests into the minimal memory, thereby creating a module. We can work
> toward releases where all the packages anyone might want to load are
> served by some online history memory, with package metadata searchable
> with Google[2].
>

>       thanks!
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/9pw4gjc (wordpress.com)
> [2] http://netjam.org/spoon/modules
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +31   6 2757 7177
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Well that's fun to explore. I'm on OSX 10.7.5 and for some reason the
AppleScript could not see the image, but that was easy to fix by
dragging the script into the same/Resources directory.
The mini image starts and is broadcasting on 8090. It sets up a web page
to present a link to start the development image. Nifty.
For the first time HTTPServer is publicly available. It's in the mini
image, which I can inspect from the open browser on the development
image world.  Going to package New and then class Welcome and method
'act' I can see where the web page is coming from. Cool.

Chris

Re: Spoon 3 beta 2 released

Edgar De Cleene

On 10/19/12 11:37 PM, "Chris Cunnington" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 12-10-19 4:34 PM, Craig Latta wrote:
>> Hi all--
>>
>>       I've released Spoon 3 beta 2, see [1]. This is an important one,
>> because it's the first one that opens a remote browser onto a small
>> headless memory automatically. With this one it's pretty easy to browse
>> around.
>>
>>       So now there's a memory with development tools in it, and a small
>> memory which takes the place of the old changes file (by remembering
>> changes in an object database). Next, I¹ll set up a third memory, a
>> minimal environment which can the basis of a full Smalltalk distribution
>> (e.g., Squeak 5). I¹ll write instructions for creating unit tests for
>> each package in our communities, and imprinting the code run by those
>> tests into the minimal memory, thereby creating a module. We can work
>> toward releases where all the packages anyone might want to load are
>> served by some online history memory, with package metadata searchable
>> with Google[2].
>>

>>       thanks!
>>
>> -C
>>
>> [1] http://tinyurl.com/9pw4gjc (wordpress.com)
>> [2] http://netjam.org/spoon/modules
>>
>> --
>> Craig Latta
>> www.netjam.org/resume
>> +31   6 2757 7177
>> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)
>>

> Well that's fun to explore. I'm on OSX 10.7.5 and for some reason the
> AppleScript could not see the image, but that was easy to fix by
> dragging the script into the same/Resources directory.
> The mini image starts and is broadcasting on 8090. It sets up a web page
> to present a link to start the development image. Nifty.
> For the first time HTTPServer is publicly available. It's in the mini
> image, which I can inspect from the open browser on the development
> image world.  Going to package New and then class Welcome and method
> 'act' I can see where the web page is coming from. Cool.
>
> Chris

I'm on OS X 10.6 now and also have troubles with AppleScript .
Solved rename the app to "Spoon3b2"
Starting to explore, send feedback ASAP.

As you know , my wish is build a more compatible version of Reduced Cuis
( Cuis3.1r.4f of 2.5 Mb)
http://squeakros.org/Cuis3dot2/Cuis3.1r.4f.image
http://squeakros.org/Cuis3dot2/Cuis3.1r.4f.changes

Runs on old and new VM

Edgar

Re: Spoon 3 beta 2 released

Karl Ramberg
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all--
>
>      I've released Spoon 3 beta 2, see [1]. This is an important one,
> because it's the first one that opens a remote browser onto a small
> headless memory automatically. With this one it's pretty easy to browse
> around.
>
>      So now there's a memory with development tools in it, and a small
> memory which takes the place of the old changes file (by remembering
> changes in an object database). Next, I’ll set up a third memory, a
> minimal environment which can the basis of a full Smalltalk distribution
> (e.g., Squeak 5). I’ll write instructions for creating unit tests for
> each package in our communities, and imprinting the code run by those
> tests into the minimal memory, thereby creating a module. We can work
> toward releases where all the packages anyone might want to load are
> served by some online history memory, with package metadata searchable
> with Google[2].
>

>      thanks!
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/9pw4gjc (wordpress.com)
> [2] http://netjam.org/spoon/modules

I get a error on WinXP decompressing the zip. Seems to be something
with the icons.

Karl

!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Kan inte skapa Spoon 3 beta
2.app\Contents\Resources\spoon3b2.app\Icon

    Felaktig syntax för filnamn, katalognamn eller volymetikett.
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Försöker att korrigera det
ogiltiga filnamnet
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Döp om Spoon 3 beta
2.app\Contents\Resources\spoon3b2.app\Icon
 till Spoon 3 beta 2.app\Contents\Resources\spoon3b2.app\Icon_
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Kan inte skapa __MACOSX\Spoon 3
beta 2.app\Contents\Resources\spoon3b2.app\._Icon

    Felaktig syntax för filnamn, katalognamn eller volymetikett.
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Försöker att korrigera det
ogiltiga filnamnet
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Döp om __MACOSX\Spoon 3 beta
2.app\Contents\Resources\spoon3b2.app\._Icon
 till __MACOSX\Spoon 3 beta 2.app\Contents\Resources\spoon3b2.app\._Icon_
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Kan inte skapa Spoon 3 beta
2.app\Icon

    Felaktig syntax för filnamn, katalognamn eller volymetikett.
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Försöker att korrigera det
ogiltiga filnamnet
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Döp om Spoon 3 beta 2.app\Icon
 till Spoon 3 beta 2.app\Icon_
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Kan inte skapa __MACOSX\Spoon 3
beta 2.app\._Icon

    Felaktig syntax för filnamn, katalognamn eller volymetikett.
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Försöker att korrigera det
ogiltiga filnamnet
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Karl\Mina
dokument\Downloads\Spoon-3-beta-2.zip: Döp om __MACOSX\Spoon 3 beta
2.app\._Icon
 till __MACOSX\Spoon 3 beta 2.app\._Icon_

Re: Spoon 3 beta 2 released

Karl Ramberg
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all--
>
>      I've released Spoon 3 beta 2, see [1]. This is an important one,
> because it's the first one that opens a remote browser onto a small
> headless memory automatically. With this one it's pretty easy to browse
> around.
>
>      So now there's a memory with development tools in it, and a small
> memory which takes the place of the old changes file (by remembering
> changes in an object database). Next, I’ll set up a third memory, a
> minimal environment which can the basis of a full Smalltalk distribution
> (e.g., Squeak 5). I’ll write instructions for creating unit tests for
> each package in our communities, and imprinting the code run by those
> tests into the minimal memory, thereby creating a module. We can work
> toward releases where all the packages anyone might want to load are
> served by some online history memory, with package metadata searchable
> with Google[2].
>

>      thanks!
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/9pw4gjc (wordpress.com)
> [2] http://netjam.org/spoon/modules
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +31 6 2757 7177
> + 1 415 287 3547 (no SMS)

Starting spoon.exe I just get a dialog box in Windows saying the
configuration of the program is wrong and suggest I reinstall the
program.

The spoon.ini file does not point to the image in the Resources
directory, but changing it does not seem to help.

I cant start the A667BC2A-566E-4C1D-9A60-119D7A380196 image with that VM.

Why isn't there a .image extension on the A667... image ?

Karl

Re: Spoon 3 beta 2 released

ccrraaiigg

Hi Karl--

> Starting spoon.exe I just get a dialog box in Windows saying the
> configuration of the program is wrong and suggest I reinstall the
> program.

     Hm. In Spoon 3 alpha 3 that was because the Windows Spoon VM I made
had dynamically-linked bits which have been removed from recent released
of Windows (libcrt.dll). For 3a5 I linked a new version of the VM that
had everything in it statically, and I reused this in subsequent
releases. I'll have to take another look, thanks.

     Can you give an English translation on your decompressor errors?

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta