Spoon progress 14 February 2006: yet another way to shrink, perhaps the best

Spoon progress 14 February 2006: yet another way to shrink, perhaps the best

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

        I have a variant of the garbage collector working, one which doesn't
mark methods which haven't been run recently. This does most of the work
of shrinking an object memory, in one fell swoop (and it runs at full
speed). Now I just kill unwanted processes from afar, clear all method
activation marks, run a few things I know I'll want (mostly support for
remote messaging), then make a snapshot. The automatic removal of unrun
methods this way causes a chain reaction, with the freeing of unused
method literals.

        What used to take days (shrinking manually with a remote system
browser) now takes a couple of seconds.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Spoon progress 14 February 2006: yet another way to shrink, perhaps the best

Stephan Rudlof
Hello Craig,

On 14.02.2006 22:07, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
> I have a variant of the garbage collector working, one which doesn't
> mark methods which haven't been run recently. This does most of the work
> of shrinking an object memory, in one fell swoop (and it runs at full
> speed). Now I just kill unwanted processes from afar, clear all method
> activation marks, run a few things I know I'll want (mostly support for
> remote messaging), then make a snapshot. The automatic removal of unrun
> methods this way causes a chain reaction, with the freeing of unused
> method literals.
>

> What used to take days (shrinking manually with a remote system
> browser) now takes a couple of seconds.

This sounds great!

But what happens if there arises an Exception after shrinking the system
which not has arosen before?

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof ([hidden email])

re: Spoon progress 14 February 2006: yet another way to shrink, perhaps the best

ccrraaiigg

Hi Stephan--

 > ...what happens if there arises an Exception after shrinking the
 > system which not has arisen before?

        At the moment, one of the things I do beforehand is arrange to forward
all unhandled exceptions to a remote system. And in the case of
MessageNotUnderstood, the missing method actually gets transferred
inline and the affected process keeps going.

-C